Learning Something About Speedtronic....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregE240

Car
1990 500SL
Well, I think thats what its called!

My W210 has the "dual mode" cruise control, where you can either set it to maintain a speed you set, and the "limiter" function where you dial in a speed and it won't exceed it unless you floor the gas pedal.

I've started using the limiter around Rugby as there is a speed camera set at the top of a steep hill. Because of the incline its far too easy to pick up speed, threatening my clean licence. I noticed the last couple of nights that not only does the auto box go down a gear or two (from say 4th to 3rd) to try and provide a little engine braking, but if the car picks up speed, you get a beeping noise and the preset speed flashes in the dash.

I'm probably preaching to the converted but I've never noticed this before....

Greg

Mine also changes into a lower gear . . but its never beeped at me ..... yet !!

S.

Sym, try going down a really steep hill mate....it will change lower, then beep if it still picks up speed...

Bear in mind mine is a big ole E Class, not your svelte C Class estate! :)

Never noticed mine beep either, only it changing down gears. There are no steep hills around here!

RichardM said:
Never noticed mine beep either, only it changing down gears. There are no steep hills around here!

Don't use mine much but never had it beep?? Picks up some speed and changes down OK. :confused:

I'm only guessing but maybe it's trying to tell you that the engine braking is not enough to prevent an increase in speed. Try braking a bit and see if it stops bleeping.

It bleeps until you brake or tip speedtronic up a notch. Clever aint it!

Yup I've heard mine beep :) just the car's way of telling you it can't keep the actual speed below the limiter's speed set point.

The funniest aspect of the speed limiter functionality is that you can set a 'permanent' limited speed that is activated all the time by using a special set of key presses and ignition key positions, I guess for those situations where you are loaning your car out etc. The funny part?... When choosing the speed setpoint, the limiter will only let you select speeds between 120mph and 160mph :crazy: :rolleyes: :devil:

S.

Steve_Perry said:
Yup I've heard mine beep :) just the car's way of telling you it can't keep the actual speed below the limiter's speed set point.

The funniest aspect of the speed limiter functionality is that you can set a 'permanent' limited speed that is activated all the time by using a special set of key presses and ignition key positions, I guess for those situations where you are loaning your car out etc. The funny part?... When choosing the speed setpoint, the limiter will only let you select speeds between 120mph and 160mph :crazy: :rolleyes: :devil:

S.

It's for learner drivers....

Actually it's supposed to be used when using snow tyres as they can only go to 130mph....Nice on ice. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom