Learning to love my C32

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spin_bowler

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLC, Tesla MY
Having had the C32 for a month it's time for a bit of reflection. It's fair to say I'm not instantly in love like I was with the W124, that's probably something to do with that being purchased to scratch an itch that had been with me for some twenty years, whereas this one was more of a spur of the moment thing.

It's also got something to do with the fact it's spent two weeks in the shop getting various niggles sorted out and I've only crossed half the list off.

My feelings up until today had been that it is too ordinary, it just looks like any W203 of which there are thousands and that it is a bit of a one-trick pony, i.e mash the loud pedal into the floor and it takes off like a scalded cat, but there are only so many times you can do that a day before you get bored.

This afternoon I decided to take the long way home after an errand, on roads I know well and generally have a hoot even if I'm driving the 140BHP Audi oil-burner just to see if I could love it a bit more.

Man, I had FUN!

The pile of cash I threw at it last week was worth every penny. It goes better so its one-trick has got more interesting, it handles better and the biggest difference is in the brakes, it stops much better so you can use more of that power. I seem to remember someone on here with a bit of a stable saying that the C32 was his favourite as it covers all the bases and I totally get where he's coming from now.

Not sure it's love yet but we're definitely past first base.

It looks like you have reached the giggle line, once you are past that, you're laughing.

(Anyone old enough will remember this well from when girls used to wear stockings, the tops of stockings were know as the giggle line)

I felt the same when I got mine...
It was time to to get rid of my s4 and I wanted something quicker and more importantly in my price range...
I chose the c32 after one tore past me on the motorway a couple years ago...
I took a couple for test drives but they didn't really seem to have wow factor like I'd read....
Long story short, I picked one up after a short test ....
On the 100 mile drive back, the car put a smile on my face every time I floored it..The cars are great and yes they can be a little expensive..but I've learned to live with the little niggles,erratic door mirrors and headrests etc..
It's a grower and I love it...

Not sure it's love yet but we're definitely past first base.

After years of driving turbo'd diesels, N/A V8's & 6cyl's , a supercharged car did take a bit of getting used to but once it gets under your skin, everything else will feel slow...

The thing I miss most about that car is that the power is just there, constantly straining at the leash, much more intense than N/A V8/V6, I would really have loved to see the C32 with a manual 'box, but the tip function does a good enough job.

I'm glad to see that you got those last few bits ironed out, El Tel is a top bloke and you're in safe hands there.

How are you finding the fuel consumption?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....

...and breathe.

It ranges from terrible to poor.

Serious numbers, well as serious as the computer gets. I don't have the time or inclination to do the brim test;

I've managed 19.9MPG in mixed driving since I got it. Worst I've seen was 9.6 over a 14 mile crawl through the London rush hour on a Friday evening and the best 32 on my dawdle through the M62 roadworks on the day I picked it up from Lee's.

My drive into the office is probably a good barometer of what proper mixed use will get you. I do 17 miles on the M1 at a decent pace and then a four or five mile crawl down the North Circular and M40, that tends to net out at 21MPG which is just above my self-imposed threshold of 20 which is what I can live with.

That sounds decent, I think I could live with 20mpg myself.

Like I say it's my, completely arbitrary, low-end threshold. I'm not sure which branch of man-maths I used to formulate it :D

It seems to be a kind of engine that gives very slowly but taketh away very quickly. Ten miles of light right foot on the m'way may yield a couple of MPG on the journey, it can be eradicated by one squirt into lane three for some 'spirited' over-taking.

I had a Mondeo with the 5-cylinder 2.5T engine which was exactly the same but at least this has the added bonus of a big grin factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom