Lease companies and ConnectMe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawkins

Car
C350e Estate
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I have not seen anything other than a couple of comments in the huge 350e posts...

I have a 350e coming next month from Alphabet, sure I had read they were allowing Connect Me but I have just been told that I won't get it as they are not turning it on for anyone.

- Is this the case, does anyone have an Alphabet car with it activated?

- What do I lose by not having it? Ability to select when to charge, pre-heating / cooling - what else?

I have emailed saying they really should have been upfront about this but not sure they will back down.:mad:

Many thanks

Paul

My company car is E300, leased through Alphabet. I took delivery in May.

I registered on the Connect Me portal, and then put the car into main dealer to have Connect Me services activated. Did not discuss this with Alphabet. Had no problem (well - had technical problem which meant a further trip to dealer for software update - but that's a different story) and all now works well. Don't understand why Alphabet would need to switch anything on themselves.
Hope you get it resolved.
M

If the dealer is doing things by the book, they have to get permission from some finance companies who've not officially decided whether they're going to long term allow all the features or not.

I'm getting my c350e direct from MB on lease, surely they will allow the service?

Can anyone tell me why some lease companies are refusing this service. I have no reason to know, l'm just being nosey. I've read about this many times.

Ant.

@sharmbo They most probably will, its in their interest to have control over "their" car online.
My 10 cents.

@sharmbo They most probably will, its in their interest to have control over "their" car online.
My 10 cents.

Data Protection act on how the information is used.

An example could be the geo tagging element on a company car which is used to visit "customers". Why should a 3rd party have access to this information as this could be confidential data regarding their customers or trends. There no policy in place how this data is protected or used. Therefore there is an element of the unknown.

Also, as connected services have the options to say maintenance, break down etc... some cars are covered by a maintained lease which use their own breakdown company and service plans direct with the car brand in question.

its not a merc thing.. its an industry standard at present.

Some people are getting it enabled outside of their lease supplier who have already advised it will not be enabled.

It would seem some people may not realise that they could be breaching the lease terms / agreement and the end result putting the lease company in a position breaching their own policy regarding protecting "their" customers data (ie you.).

In the event the data is leaked and the lease company issue a statement that all their fleet cars are none affected and then it comes to light it was enabled by the driver I would not want the legal team of a large lease company on my case.

Of course, this is a very worst case example...

I had all these conversations when my car was on order with our lease supplier who advised if it was enabled outside of my "maintenance contract" ie.. me taking the car to a dealer it would be "investigated". On a maintained lease (well mine) you should not take the car to a dealer with first having approval from them to confirm which garage and remotely book it in, plus dont forgot what ever gets done at a dealer it will be logged on the system linked to the VIN.

Connected vehicles - driver and vehicle data | BVRLA

Last edited:
Of course, this is a very worst case example...

Another thing, if you use internet functions, and even more services on comand online. Everything is then tunneled via VPN to Mercedes services, on its way to the internet. This gives MB the full access to everything you would ever do on the internet also.

I am a smartphone user, and that is much more worrying in my mind.
No difference if you use android or i-products on that matter.

:)
All of a sudden the tread ended up as (big brother sees you)

Have a great weekend btw.

Another thing, if you use internet functions, and even more services on comand online. Everything is then tunneled via VPN to Mercedes services, on its way to the internet. This gives MB the full access to everything you would ever do on the internet also.

I am a smartphone user, and that is much more worrying in my mind.
No difference if you use android or i-products on that matter.

:)
All of a sudden the tread ended up as (big brother sees you)

Have a great weekend btw.

That's why Saville drove a VW

I hope snowman is right

But understand drivers post as it makes sense as to why it won't be enabled

Stuart I'm surprised that he had a VW considering their emissions history and his desire to make a better world for our youth

I hope snowman is right

But understand drivers post as it makes sense as to why it won't be enabled

Stuart I'm surprised that he had a VW considering their emissions history and his desire to make a better world for our youth

VW make vans with beds in the back :eek:

I think that Google pretty much knows where you are at any point anyway so I'm not too worried about the data protection bit.

Car will be delivered on Tuesday and had an email regarding Connect Me services a few days ago. The lease company have said after discussions that I can have Connect Me if I pay the subscription fee.

Both myself and NHS Fleet solutions take this as permission to proceed as no other reason given and obviously won't be paying the fee as it comes included for the first three years.

I will be keeping copies of the email correspondence of course - just in case.

The proof of course will come at registration time.

Thanks everyone, Alphabet have come back today and said they have not allowed any drivers to enable and are not backing down.

I think I'll just wait for the car and see if I want to pursue it. There had also been rumours of MB launching a version that keeps the lease companies happier so I guess we shall see...

Still around 6 weeks to go...

Cheers
Paul

Has anyone who is on a PERSONAL lease been told they cant have it enabled ?

Thanks everyone, Alphabet have come back today and said they have not allowed any drivers to enable and are not backing down.

I think I'll just wait for the car and see if I want to pursue it. There had also been rumours of MB launching a version that keeps the lease companies happier so I guess we shall see...

Still around 6 weeks to go...

Cheers
Paul

I'll let you know Wednesday (yay delivery day! :bannana:) or soon after. I have had a mail giving the dealer permission so I am expecting it to be activated for me.

I'll let you know Wednesday (yay delivery day! :bannana:) or soon after. I have had a mail giving the dealer permission so I am expecting it to be activated for me.

Don't you have to enter your details and VIN first on Connect Me site and then ask dealer to activate?

Not being funny just checking - pick mine up tomorrow and maybe off to the dealer as soon as I get that VIN.

Arval have told me that the services are disabled by default but that they are happy to arrange activation.

Any update on personal leases? I'm getting a personal lease car from Alphabet later this month and really want to use the Connect Me features, in fact, its one of the selling points of the car so I don't see how they can refuse?

Thanks
Chris

Is there any news on this from people with personal lease cars from Alphabet? Mine's arriving on Monday, quite excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom