Lease return - Will MB charge for non-premium tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulfoel

Made a bit of a mistake today. Bought 4 tyres then realised the cars going back in 13 months....
Checking the lease agreement it said vehicle has to be returned with "premium" tyres.

Obviously, I dont want to be driving around for a year with these mid-range ones then have to shell out £500 for a set of michelin when I hand the car over.

Made a bit of a mistake today. Bought 4 tyres then realised the cars going back in 13 months....
Checking the lease agreement it said vehicle has to be returned with "premium" tyres.

Obviously, I dont want to be driving around for a year with these mid-range ones then have to shell out £500 for a set of michelin when I hand the car over.
Buy used tires at the end of the lease, and dump them on the return.

Unfortunately you are contractually obliged. I spent over 40 years in the Vehicle Contract Hire industry and all aspects of the vehicle return section were closely monitored. It was important that we were able to achieve the projected residual values to achieve the forecast profit level. Tyres were an important element of achieving that forecast profit level, even the wear level’s were scrutinised. I am not suggesting you would try anything on but you would be amazed at what some people try to get away with :rolleyes: At the end of the day a contract has been signed and both parties are legally bound to the content of that contract:)

What were fitted when you took delivery?
If we are talking about a new MB it would almost certainly be a premium tyre. During my 40 years in the Contract Hire industry whenever we ordered a new vehicle we always insisted the vehicle was shod with Michelin because it was in our own interest too :)

I do not think a lot of people understand the leasing criteria. They seem to think that you treat the car any way you like for 3 years (or what ever your lease is) hand it back & get another. Not so, someone comes to your house & spends a considerable amount of time going over the car checking basically everything. He then goes over anything he has found that is not up to spec. They allow for some minor things. I am pretty OCD but on my last S class he showed me a small paintwork blemish on the passenger door that you could only see looking down the length of the car. Looks like someone had brushed past it with a bag or briefcase. I had never noticed it even though the car was washed every week. There was also a faint dye transfer on the drivers seat that you would be hard pressed to see. He allowed me these two items as the rest of the car was immaculate. He then left & the car was picked up by someone else the next day. They don't miss a thing. Some people must get quite a shock after he is finished. Can't comment on your tyres but from what I have seen you may be caught out. If you are it will not be Kwikfit prices but whatever they say with Mercedes "tax"

I do not think a lot of people understand the leasing criteria. They seem to think that you treat the car any way you like for 3 years (or what ever your lease is) hand it back & get another. Not so, someone comes to your house & spends a considerable amount of time going over the car checking basically everything. He then goes over anything he has found that is not up to spec. They allow for some minor things. I am pretty OCD but on my last S class he showed me a small paintwork blemish on the passenger door that you could only see looking down the length of the car. Looks like someone had brushed past it with a bag or briefcase. I had never noticed it even though the car was washed every week. There was also a faint dye transfer on the drivers seat that you would be hard pressed to see. He allowed me these two items as the rest of the car was immaculate. He then left & the car was picked up by someone else the next day. They don't miss a thing. Some people must get quite a shock after he is finished. Can't comment on your tyres but from what I have seen you may be caught out. If you are it will not be Kwikfit prices but whatever they say with Mercedes "tax"
Re-enforces what I have just said. :) There are a lot of people out there who trying to pull a fast one because they think that the Lessor can absorb it, just isn’t the case I’m afraid :rolleyes:

If we are talking about a new MB it would almost certainly be a premium tyre. During my 40 years in the Contract Hire industry whenever we ordered a new vehicle we always insisted the vehicle was shod with Michelin because it was in our own interest too :)
I’ve noticed that one of the MB option codes is ‘Michelin Tyres for Messrs Hertz’

Re-enforces what I have just said. :) There are a lot of people out there who trying to pull a fast one because they think that the Lessor can absorb it, just isn’t the case I’m afraid :rolleyes:

To be fair it is all documented and there are guidelines produced by the industry for this=. Its not a free for all from the leasing companies in general.

Somewhat similar to hire of Cars/Plant/Machinery.All have Fuel and relevant wear charges applied on return.

Would it not be better if you only commented on areas in which you had relevant knowledge?

This reply doesn't help the OP in any meaningful way.
This will lead to a debate. Waste of my time. It's the OP, who will decide what fits the bill. Speak for yourself going forward.

This will lead to a debate. Waste of my time. It's the OP, who will decide what fits the bill. Speak for yourself going forward.
You have to comment on virtually everything regardless of you having any relevant knowledge. Did you actually understand the premis behind the OP's question?

Rhetorical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom