Leashold or not

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by normanr, Aug 25, 2008.

1. normanr

normanr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Hi
    This is for our clever ones:cool:
    I have had a belly full of the good old English summer this year and last year so I am going to buy a mobile home in the South of France for just my purpose not to let.
    I have seen a second hand one that is fairly new and on just the sort of site I want (French couple not a big company) the only thing is the site is on leasehold, now this sends warning signals to me regards the landlord selling etc I know this is according how long there lease is for but would I be better going for a site that is owned completely.
    I emailed the seller regards this and the reply was
    QUOTE:
    [FONT=arial,sans-serif]Hi Norman,
    You know what? I really dont know but, going off what i'm told, leased is more secure to the owner of the van .Legally its more binding.
    [/FONT]

2. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    OK - is it the entire property that is leasehold and then an individual caravan pitch is rented to you - in which case there is cause for concern, or......

Is the entire property owned outright, and the individual pitch is then leasehold to you..... ?

3. OP
    OP
    normanr

Hi
    Site is owned by the owners and they charge you a yearly rental for the van site with a contract to say the van can stay on indefinitely as long as it is maintained in a clean condition

4. V8mate

V8mate Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Well then unless you buy yourself a plot of land and pop your own caravan on it (planning permission for a gypo site?) aren't all commercial sites going to be like that?

5. OP
    OP
    normanr

Yes Exactly I am looking at the van on auction and this was a question asked by a potential bidder so I don't know why he asked the question.
    As I have not done this before I thought I was missing something.

I expect his next question will be has it got wheels so he can take it home every weekend LOL.

6. V8mate

Maybe he was hoping that the plot of land beneath the caravan came with it?

7. OP
    OP
    normanr

One of those blokes up with the fairies.

Worlds full of them

8. V8mate

This isn't like one of those Pistonheads car ads is it?

"Yeah, yeah, I really do have a caravan for sale but it's like.... erm... in France and you'll have to go and get it, but you have to wait 28 days after the auction has ended before it'll be available...."

9. OP
    OP
    normanr

No
    It's ebay with 100% feedback,the van belongs to them I have just managed to speak to them on the phone ill health means they have to sell.
    It's on a nice site but I think it is a bit high up for the good weather it is only 17% there today.
    It is at LA.FORET-FOUESNANT

10. dougal74

dougal74 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Past: 2008 S211 E280CDi A/G Estate, 2000 ML430, 1992 300TE Auto, 1995 E320 Coupe - all gone
    La Rochelle would be as far up as I would want to be. The leasehold may include an assured tenancy for a defined period even in the event the site transfers ownership. Of course, that doesn't help if you don't like what the new owners do to the place.
    I guess it depends what relative value you are attributing to the value of the van vis-a-vis the value of the lease.
    I also see from his ad that "there are no [site] restrictions on older vans". However, I am sure "pressure" might be applied at some point in the future to upgrade!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  11. OP
    OP
    normanr

That's a chance you have to take isn't it, as you say I would not like to go any higher in fact I probably won't bother due to the location.

I am in no rush but this is the second non summer in a row so don't want to be here next year.

12. OP
    OP
    normanr

This is an example of the stupid questions this bloke has been getting the mind boggles:eek:

If we win the auction does the home ownership pass to us when it is paid for ? Regards Malcolm26-Aug-08A
    Hi Malcolm, Yes it does, you are buying the home, and the lease of the land its on, then ownership of both pass to you. Thanks jim:confused:

Tags: