leasing an SLK250CDi Auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
looking at lingscars.com, it looks like you can get the above with metallic paint for 2 years, 20,000 miles for a total cost of:

3x£303.60: £910.80
23x£303.60: £6982.80
Doc Fee: £180
Total: £8073.60

Am completely amazed, as that is nothing like the depreciation (and financing cost) for that car if you bought it (RRP of £32,925).

Have never considered leasing a new car, but this does make it very interesting.

I've just signed a lease on a SLK 250CDI AMG Sport (metallic paint, airscarf, heated seats. £299 (6+23) inc VAT

The cheapest deal I found was with Lakeland Vehicle Solutions

If you're happy with a base spec SLK 250CDI AMG Sport (metallic paint) then this is £276 (6+23) inc VAT.

10k/yr
Doc fee £180.
Excess mileage £0.156 / mile (inc VAT)
Delivery March.

LingsCars were OK on price for a SLK 250CDI, but less so for the AMG Sport.

If you're happy with a base spec SLK 250CDI AMG Sport (metallic paint) then this is £276 (6+23) inc VAT.

10k/yr
Doc fee £180.
Excess mileage £0.156 / mile (inc VAT)

total cost of £8184 ..

lingcars total cost of £8479

Blimey!!

who dares to buy new cars these days?

total cost of £8184 ..

lingcars total cost of £8479

Blimey!!

who dares to buy new cars these days?

Indeed. I was quite flexible with what convertible I'd lease, but when I saw the Z4 was £100/month more for the petrol and the SLK is the same price as a Fiat 500 the SLK became the natural choice.

I was also considering s/h cars and even then the lease option looks very competitive.

Like you I've never considered leasing before, but sometimes when deals stand out it would have been crazy not to have considered it.

as a comparison, I bought my Boxster S new in 2012, used for 4.5 months and about 4500 miles, sold it for the 911 GT3. That 4.5 month "hire" cost £7500.

OK, not the same price .. but !!!

Er, me. :eek:

Just out of interest, how are the leasing quotes affected if you add lots of options (as in practically everything on offer)?

I think leasing makes sense for non AMG cars ..

I have asked for a quote with some "essential" options (about 10) ...

Just out of interest, how are the leasing quotes affected if you add lots of options (as in practically everything on offer)?

I've read a wide range of examples:

My lease car: airscalf + heated seats are ~£725 RRP options. They have added £600 to the lease over the 2 year period. So not great value, but the total lease cost was still the cheapest I could find. This is for a pre-made car waiting at a UK dealer.

Another forum I read the options were being amateurised at 50% of the RRP over the 2 year lease.

I suspect the final amount will depend if they have a car in stock matching the order or if it has to find a build slot at the factory

SLK 250 CDI SPORT - PistonHeads

Another point of interest, to me anyway, was the annual mileage. Going from 10k to 15k per year added £40/month inc VAT. But with excess mileage @ £0.156/mile inc VAT it works out the same to lease at 10k/yr (20k total) yet do 28k in total and pay the excess as to lease on a 15k lease deal. ie. if you think you'll do 20-28k over 2 years only pay for a 10k lease. (hope that makes sense)

MOCAS: are you sure about ALL the options? Some look silly money. Analogue clock £195. Airguide £285 (for two pieces of perspex). COMAND with CD player £2245 (it always amazes me how expensive this is).

Also Service Care £660/2 years. Is this really a saving for the first two services?

Last edited:
Helloooooooooo

Hence my current little advert

lingscars-burgers-140x200.gif

I'm getting an SLK myself when my current Audi A5 goes back in June. For what it's worth... :)

SLKs are bargains of the decade.

Normally you can just take the cost of the options, divide by the term and add some interest

So if you add £2000 of options on a 24 month lease, expect that to add whatever £83 plus interest is per month.

PS

Loving that advert

MOCAS: are you sure about ALL the options? Some look silly money. Analogue clock £195. Airguide £285 (for two pieces of perspex). COMAND with CD player £2245 (it always amazes me how expensive this is).

Not quite all. ;) In fact, the IWC clock and Airguide are two items I've eschewed, mainly on aesthetic grounds. The other options I'm doing without are:

• Ambient lighting (might have gone for this if it hadn't been red only)
  • Telephone pre-wiring
  • Garage door opener
  • Fire extinguisher
  • 6-CD changer for COMAND
  • AMG performance steering wheel
  • AMG performance package
  • AMG Driver's package

Everything else has been ticked. COMAND Online with single CD/DVD drive comes as standard on the AMG, and I can't be bothered fiddling with multiple discs - my iPod sounded pretty damn good through the media interface.

Am completely amazed, as that is nothing like the depreciation (and financing cost) for that car if you bought it (RRP of £32,925).

It's down to the manufacturers giving a rather large discount to the financing company. The leasing company will finance the car - and it does so without having to pay VAT - which reduces the actual amount of finance involved. (Whereas if *you* finance a car you're also financing the VAT at the time you finance and then pay back with no VAT on the loan repayments because it's already been paid).

Not all lease deals are good value. And just like insurance there can be a wide range of deals on the same spec car.

Funny reading this something has sprung to mind.

This is the Motability scheme for the masses.

As my wife qualifies for higher rate DLA mobility allowance we'd be bonkers getting a car any other way, even if the vehicles available are no longer exactly what we want. They are such a good deal we'd be daft to turn it down. Ok I know it's different - but the basic principal is the same - it's fixed term contract hire.

Now contract hire has become priced at a level that it's viable for anyone, it's incredibly attractive when the right offer comes along.

However, you can't go in with a specific shopping list if you're looking for a deal - MOCAS, the golden rule with leasing is stay off the options list. That's not going to change.

If you must tick every box PCP is probably a better way to go as it will likely build in some residual value for some of the options.

I agree with most..

It's funny isn't it, how people are different. MOCAS is having loads of options, looks like Red C220 and me would leave them.

I just don't seem to use any extras, they just sit there and look at me, laughing. I just get in the car and drive it, mainly with the radio on. That's it. Car is car. Convertible is nice, but I do not care what engine, what fuel, even what colour, really. Car is car to me. Like a fridge, really.

Often, my customers will INSIST on perking sensors (err, can't they reverse?) and Sat Nav (I have a Tom Tom and use it so rarely anyway). So it's very much horses for courses. But I don't like ordering cars with loads of extras... it makes the cars so hard to resell if the customer cancels.

With Becker Nav, I recommend getting a car with the pre-wire slot (they nearly all have) then buy the unit on eBay for half Merc price. After the end of the lease, you can re-sell it or use it again. Same applies to extras like towbars, or stuff with value you can retrofit.

Ling, I think I love you (don't tell Mr V).

One day, I will lease a basic-spec car from you, just for the hell of it.

Funny reading this something has sprung to mind.

This is the Motability scheme for the masses.

As my wife qualifies for higher rate DLA mobility allowance we'd be bonkers getting a car any other way, even if the vehicles available are no longer exactly what we want. They are such a good deal we'd be daft to turn it down. Ok I know it's different - but the basic principal is the same - it's fixed term contract hire.

Now contract hire has become priced at a level that it's viable for anyone, it's incredibly attractive when the right offer comes along.

However, you can't go in with a specific shopping list if you're looking for a deal - MOCAS, the golden rule with leasing is stay off the options list. That's not going to change.

If you must tick every box PCP is probably a better way to go as it will likely build in some residual value for some of the options.

Have you explored the 0 vat rating option when purchasing a new car. As a disabled person?
If you have a recognised adaptation (for me it was a wheelchair hoist @750 pounds) It is a 20% reduction off the purhase price. if you combine it with a PCP it can reduce the monthly by quite a significant amount. For example my C63 coupe is 450 a month over 2 years with a 2600 deposit. So (assuming I return the car after the end of term) it has cost me 13400 GBP less servicing and consumables (over 2 years I'm not anticipating this to be extortionate). This on a 70000 pound car (after ticking a few boxes). Just a thought :thumb:.

Have you explored the 0 vat rating option when purchasing a new car. As a disabled person?

Reminds me of a few years ago when members of the Brtitsh Paralympic team were exposed for fitting a steering wheel ball to brand new Range Rovers, "buying them" without VAT (they never left the dealership) then re-selling them back to the dealership without VAT and the dealership removed the small disabled control and re-sold them to buyers. They pocketed the VAT difference between them. Scam was marginally legal/illegal, but didn't look good.

Apart from that I don't have any experience with selling cars ex-VAT, but... I do have an "accessibility" page for blind drivers where Lingani, my Indian Call Centre operative will assist with reading out my car offers. Worth a look: Lingani

asian.gif

Turn up your sound. :)

Every webpage needs to be "accessible" by law.

Last edited:
Helloooooooooo

Hence my current little advert

lingscars-burgers-140x200.gif

I'm getting an SLK myself when my current Audi A5 goes back in June. For what it's worth... :)

SLKs are bargains of the decade.

Had thought about a convertible soon but was erring towards a TT (love quattros even though only driven one a few times 20 yrs ago!)
TT would have been used deisel costing £15k upwards with 30k to 40k miles on the clock.
Recent discussion with brother-in-law has caused me to look at leasing costs and I'm surprised to find that these deals on SLK250CDi are no more than I've paid to own second hand Volvos over the last 3 years.
Recent low valuation of current Volvo has shocked me and as a result had planned to hold on to it for another year to help ease the depreciation pain.

Will the SLK deals still be around in 6months to 1 years time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom