Leather and belts!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Spent the last couple of days doing two very satisfying jobs on my clk’s cream interior.

First up I bought some leather paint and acrylic finisher to repair some wear on the piping on the leading edge of the driver seat side bolster. I bought paint and finisher from the Angelicus range and it works really well. I’m pretty damned chuffed. The repair really is invisible. Great stuff. I had to mix a little yellow into the cream paint to get a good colour match but it worked perfectly.

Next up seats all treated with a clean (isopropyl alcohol mixed with water) followed by a good clean and nourishment with Gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner.

Finally all four seat belts (light cream) cleaned using detergent and water and some vanish soap on the stains. Came up like new. Haven’t done the belts for five years! Currently sat in the garage, roof down, with belts fully extended to dry overnight.

A satisfying days work!

Is that Angelus reserved than angelicus? And what finishing product did you get, have you a link please as I'm quite interested?

Finally all four seat belts (light cream) cleaned using detergent and water and some vanish soap on the stains. Came up like new. Haven’t done the belts for five years! Currently sat in the garage, roof down, with belts fully extended to dry overnight.

how did you clean? Sponge?

how did you clean? Sponge?

Basically, yes. Front belts I fully extend and put a clip on to stop them retracting back. Bucket of warm water with some mild detergent. Soak as much of the belt that will go into bucket for 20 minutes. Then remove and clean with a sponge. I use a bit of vanish soap on any greasy stains. Once clean i rinse with clean water. Then leave fully extended to dry before allowing them to retract.

For the rear belts I follow same principle but have to place the bucket on the back seat (!) as it’s a cabrio so no door. Once done, clean up all splashes and treat leather seats to a good clean with leather restorer.

for the products.....I got the name wrong. Here’s a link:

Angelus Acrylic Finisher Satin 1 Oz Angelus Acrylic Finisher Satin 1 Oz: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

and

Angelus Leather Paint 1 Oz Cream Angelus Leather Paint 1 Oz Cream: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Is that Angelus reserved than angelicus? And what finishing product did you get, have you a link please as I'm quite interested?
Angelus.....link above. HTH.

Angelus.....link above. HTH.
That helps a lot, thanks for the reply. Off shopping now........

It might be worth me adding that if you have the situation where your seatbelts no longer retract quickly, more often than not cleaning the belts sorts the issue out. When I bought my CLK many years ago the front belts didn’t retract properly and I though I might need a new mechanism. But a quick google suggested that cleaning them would help. So I did. And it fixed the problem.

You probably knew this, but just in case...

That helps a lot, thanks for the reply. Off shopping now........

don’t know what colour seats you have but I had to make the cream less white. I used a touch of acrylic yellow paint from an art set and mixed it with the cream in a dish. Took a bit of experimenting but it worked.

if you completely bugger it up, you can remove the paint using isopropyl alcohol on a micro fibre cloth and start again. So don’t panic about messing things up. My first attempt I got the colour shade wrong and it looked bad. It’s a bit of trial and error since like all paint it dries to a lighter shade.

here are the finished results. I use ikea bag clips to hold the belts extended! The main seats look grubby in these pics but that’s my camera I think. They are nice and clean in reality. But hopefully this gives you an idea of what you can do. The paint was applied to the piping on the leading edge of the bolster nearest the door. It was worn away completely.

Last edited:
Thanks, the seats are black and I sissy have some dye for those, it's the cream piping I wanted product for and the stuff you've linked to seems just the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom