Leather Interior

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Just fitted my 'new' leather interior which came out of another C240 strangely enough.

Front seats arent as bad as the pictures look, they are only creases, not cracks! Rear seats are like brand new :)

leather1a.jpg

leather1.jpg

leather2.jpg

Ive treated the seats with Meguires leather restorer but how do you get back the leather smell? I can only just make it out

Looks great I use a leather conditioner that brings the leather back to life and the new smell I'll get the name for you

I'll email it later

They look great how long did they take to fit

Rear seats done in under 10 mins including removing the old ones.

Fronts took a while as I had to WD-40 the star/hex bolts and they are a nightmare to unscrew. Also the front seats are the heaviest thing known to man. About 30mins each for the fronts.

Try humping the electric ones about! W126 heated, electric seats could be used for boat anchors they are so heavy.

If you use neatsfoot oil which is also used by saddlers to keep the leather supple, that gives you a little of the leather smell you want. But dont over do it otherwise it'll make you're leather feel spongy.

Gliptone say that their Liquid Leather GT11 conditioner "has gained a reputation for being the only product on the market that really does smell of good old fashioned English leather, like the interior of Rolls-Royces and old Jaguars, no other product has been able to match the smell". They also sell aroma pads that fit to the underside of the seat and last for months.

I use autoglym leather balm which has just enough old leather smell without being overpowering

Thatis the one leatherique is the one I have used it's great

Modern leather does not smell. The characteristic leather aroma comes from the products used in the tanning process, and the modern way of doing it do not leave a smell. So it's less of a case of getting the smell back, but rather putting one in artificially, assuming you like the smell which not everybody does. I fall on the side of those who like the smell, and have consequently tried a number of products. The majority of leather products do not have a scent, and of the ones that do I find myself coming back to Gliptone (Liquid Leather). Now it's not the one that gives the most realistic smell IMHO, and I tend to think of it as giving a good approximation towards a leather smell. They also do the leather scented air fresheners as mentioned by MOCAŠ, which fit under your seat rather than dangling from the rear-view mirror. Of the other products tried, I found that Buffalo leathers conditioner gave a more realistic smell than Gliptone: Buffalo Leather Repairs - Home (and Products) - Restoration Repair and Care Products However, I came back to Gliptone because I found the Buffalo leather scent faded very quickly, so it seemed like a lot of work for a very short-lived olfactory reward. There are quite a few posts on this topic on A world for detailers... which is a forum for people who seriously like rubbing things.

On a more controversial note there is the question of whether leather conditioner is actually of any benefit to modern leather? The modern leather preparation leaves it with a sealed surface layer, which some say the conditioner cannot penetrate, meaning that modern leather gets no benefit from leather conditioner and all you need to do is give it a really good clean. Can't say I know the answer to this, and I am consequently still using leather conditioner.

Re: Leatherique. I have used that one, but it was ages ago and my memory may not serve me well, but I thought that was for restoration rather than maintenance? Also, don't think it imparts a leather scent.

Last edited:
A world for detailers... which is a forum for people who seriously like rubbing things.

Haha that made me laugh.

I've used Gliptone cleaner and conditioner and they're very good. Their air freshners and under seat pads also work well but are a bit strong for the first day or 2 but mellow out nicely.

It's right whats been said about modern leathers they have a coating that helps keep them clean and makes them hard wearing but you don't get the leather smell.
Analine leather however has no coating and is more like the leather in old Jags and Rovers etc. I think the Nappa leathers are closer to Analine leather than modern coated leathers too but couldn't sear to it.

Killerhertz your Black leather interior looks great.:rock: where did you get your AMG mats from? I need a new set come the spring.

Last edited:
Thats your interior sorted Karl and looks fab the seats actually look in pretty good nick try and use some scuffmaster leather dye on the scuffed parts to cover up the white parts on the bolsters. As for cleaning and conditioning, another thumbs up for Glyptones liquid leather cleaner and conditioner. Also you have not yet done the door cards ?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will have a look into it :)

@ Sportyreptile: I bought them 2nd hand off Shude, they are OEM C36/C43 mats.

+1 for Glyptone, works well on my E cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom