Leather - is there any point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Headhurts

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes GLC
Given that most of what I read says my cars have been leather coated with a vinyl or similar product is there any point of applying leather care treatments?

I have several in the garage and have been using them.

My current car is an E350 Night Edition with leather seats, as this car is not yet 2 months old nothing has been applied and I now wonder if it is worthwhile bothering.

What do you think is best?

Maybe a wipe with a damp cloth is sufficient.

Any comments much appreciated as there will be quite a few people on here with better knowledge than me.

Wipe with a damp cloth is sufficient but if you like the smell of leather then something like Dr Leather wipes achieves both objectives.

That said MB's own leather balm leaves a nice smell as well.

+1 for Gliptone.

Do the seats have real leather or Artico(?) faux leather? If the latter, any gentle cleaning product would clean them.....

GTechniq L1 has some kind of anti-wear coating which is useful for side bolsters.

Wipe with a damp cloth is sufficient but if you like the smell of leather then something like Dr Leather wipes achieves both objectives.

That said MB's own leather balm leaves a nice smell as well.

That's what I do, although I use bottle and a microfibre but the effect is the same. :thumb:

Handy for the leather dash and door cards in the CLS. As said a slightly damp cloth keeps them clean.

Do the seats have real leather or Artico(?) faux leather? If the latter, any gentle cleaning product would clean them.....

Real leather seats, I cannot discern any type of coating on the seats they just feel like normal leather which I guess is testament to the quality of the coating.

I use the Dr Leather wipes, does give them a bit of a smell not sure how leathery though, do clean well.

Hello I use clip tone cleaner and conditioner I have half leather and alicantra in my ml bee using it for years it will smell like a new car , if you have a light colour leather use a bristle brush with the cleaner this will get the grim out of the crack wipe with a damp cloth then apply conditioner with a sponge applicator , best regards Dirk

Unfortunately mercedes uses a lot of fake leather artico which means artificial cow however if you are fortunate enough to have the premium leathers like nappa then yes leather care will be worthwhile

Real leather seats, I cannot discern any type of coating on the seats they just feel like normal leather which I guess is testament to the quality of the coating.

Apparently since 1997 , due to eco friendliness, almost all leather interiors are sprayed with a sort of vinyl paint. Most of the old dying techniques are now frowned upon.

Russ

You need to feed the leather. My old Volvo had a leather interior which I fully fed every 6 months. It was as soft as the day it was made,even after 600,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V interesting to read about the 'vinylisation' of MB leather. I have what looks like leather in the Vito but it feels like vinyl. Maybe it IS leather with a plastic coating..??!? Either way it's still hell of a more practical than fabric ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom