Leather losing it's 'skin'. Fixable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
A friend has a 1999 Accord with leather which looks like it's losing its skin. A v. thin layer of translucent, papery stuff is coming off the seats leaving them looking sort of pie bald.

Is there something he can spray / paint on them that will make them look all the same again?

TIA.

How about these kits from Liquid Leather (Gliptone)?

Leather Recolouring

Different company but informative how-to video..

[YOUTUBE]aFXkraC9B7o[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Thanks but considering the entire interior needs doing I dunno if that's what I need.

Might be quicker & cheaper to throw the current seats away & get some junk yard ones than to go through all that.

Might be the better way, if you can source decent replacements

Surprised none of the professional detailers have never encountered this issue before.

Surprised none of the professional detailers have never encountered this issue before.

Hi there,

Sorry just saw this post! We refinish leather all the time! I'll put some pics up of ones I've completed already tomorrow eve, when I have time. I recently done a members CL55amg front seats, centre console and grab handles. He was so happy I refinished his entire Sclass interior. On the mean time look up my threads on these cars as all the images are there. But with seats being £150.00 each and an entire interior being around £750.00 it maybe cheaper to find replacements for that kind of car.

Kind regards
Michael

This is what it looks like. Surprising really as it's a 1 owner Honda with under 37K miles.

The leather itself is OK, it's just the stuff on top coming off that makes it look bad.

2qnry9y.jpg

23vl191.jpg

20freyf.jpg

90yf5l.jpg

Hi,

Yes with that you would need to refinishing the all the leather as doing bits here and there will make the rest terrible. But as it's about £750.00 to do you may want to look at second interior though you may find it hard to find an interior mint that needs no work for less. Hopefully there's some food for thought there:)

Kind Regards
Michael

It looks me as though the vinyl coating to the leather is peeling off slowly, but the leather underneath is in decent shape. You can get it resprayed, I suspect that would cost more than the car is worth, or just keep rubbing away at the worst sections to exfoliate it.

Leather in cars is spray painted on, just buy a kit from furniture clinic for £80 and do it at home.
It takes around 4 hours to do from start to finish and the time to take it out and put it back in, probably an hour each.

I did my seats in the Z3 the other week, they were 16 years old, hard and shiny and now look great.

seats1.JPG

seats2.JPG

Get a heat gun on them if they are sagging, or even better a steamer.

I love the furniture clinic stuff, just like from the factory, or far better in the case of Honda by the looks of things!

Furniture clinic is great gear but you get a much better finish off a gun and compressor. But there is no way that entire interior will take 4 hours at the level it's at right now. It will take 4 hours removing and cleaning it before you even start refinishing. But if you have the patience and skills it's definitely worth having ago to cut costs:)

Those seats look like they have been refurbished before and that coating is peeling away from the original leather face. That'll take some work to remove it all and start again....

At least you can prep it in the car over a couple of evenings, and then take it out to spray it when you have a day free.

Actually, just seen the pictures again properly, was on my laptop in the garden earlier and they didn't look too bad, they now look knackered, I agree that would probably take 3 hours at least to take back to leather and get it looking smooth again before respraying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom