Leather seats

Do you prefer leather or material seats?

• I prefer leather

Votes: 230 79.9%
  • I prefer material

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • I prefer material but have leather because it's expected

Votes: 21 7.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I prefer leather, but like the leather bolsters and alcantara centres in my S-Max - looks good, comfy and durable sides. After 100k, still looks almost new.

Protocol (or "the trade") does dictate that luxury cars should have leather..............

For me it has to be the leather.

Leather just seems to be a bit smarter and I like to be able to wipe the kids chocolate finger marks off!

I prefer cloth.

Here in Sydney, leather will sear the backside off you on a hot Summer's day, especially if your car is a convertible and you left the roof down for five mins while you ducked into the shops.

And given our climate, most manufacturers don't deem it necessary to supply heated seats. In Winter a leather seat can give your kidneys a nice chill when you first get in of a morning.

I hate leather.

Cold in the winter (I've had heated seats in the past)

Warm in the summer

and all you do is slide around on it

I don't see at what point it you can call it comfortable. Cloth wins everytime

Im in the cloth camp for older mercs
with a touch of wood and the bonnet badge
you cant beat it:thumb:

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 27
There is a difference between cloth seats and velour seats though. In a classic Merc cloth looks the part but velour looks more luxurious. I could be very happy sitting on the velour seat but I wouldn't want it as my daily transport.

Leather fulfils the luxury aspect and the daily practicality aspect.

I prefer leathers. More practical, especially if you have a child who could spill drinks/food etc. Also leather seat may retain a car's value better.
On the other hand, I have really nice cloth seats in my C250td now, they are in really good condition.
I have also seen merc kitted with totally red interior, burgundy leathers, red carpets, even red plastic on the dash! whoever chose that must have been on acid when specifying his/her car.

I prefer leather, only i find them very cold in winter (not heated).
Seat covers soon put that right,so its leather for me

if u have a merc best to have one with leather seats - better for resale too

Leather for me.
Last car (Volvo C30) had what appeared to be half leather but the leather bit was actually (in the words of Volvo) derived from neoprene. It was actually ok and showed no signs of wear when sold.
Had some lounge furniture a few years ago, supposed to be brown leather but had some sort coating. Slighest scratch revealed red leather underneath:eek:
It was returned to supplier:rolleyes:

Good quality nappa leather for me when possible.

I hate cloth seats feel to warm...

I really hate the Artico material that pretends to be leather that my last C class had, it was awful and looked pretty cheap.

I do like a split of Alcantara / Leather and Audi do some amazing combinations for their S/RS cars.

Leather, leather, leather! For a somewhat odd reason; if I am wearing jeans and I get in a car with cloth trim, the trouser material gets all rucked up around my legs and nether regions. This leads to a minute or so of pulling, pushing and generally faffing about to get comfortable (more info than you needed? - probably!). This is not an issue with leather seats as you just slide into them... Therefore, leather equals groinal comfort!

Leather sticks to exposed skin on long journeys! Preferred the half leather on my old Mazda, but it's similar to diesels and silver paintwork - that is what is available in any quantity in the used exec market and the perception is that it will sell on more easily.
do you drive in the nude?

Leather, leather, leather! For a somewhat odd reason; if I am wearing jeans and I get in a car with cloth trim, the trouser material gets all rucked up around my legs and nether regions. This leads to a minute or so of pulling, pushing and generally faffing about to get comfortable (more info than you needed? - probably!). This is not an issue with leather seats as you just slide into them... Therefore, leather equals groinal comfort!

Never mind groinal comfort. Generally speaking, leather seats (especially nappa) and blue jeans are not good bedfellows, whether due to the former's susceptibility to metal studs or the latter's tendency towards poor colour fastness. A combination best avoided.

I'm not particularly bothered and neither would put me off a car, as long as the quality and finish were up to the expected standards and it was in keeping with the car and its intended use.

(apart from in the middle east, all landcruisers and patrols there have deep velour for a reason)

Leather all the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom