leather upholstery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david b

leather upholtery

whats the difference between leather and mb tex and how do you tell difference?

david b said:
whats the difference between leather and mb tex and how do you tell difference?

Leather is made from part of dead animals and MBTex is virtually indestructable leather look plastic, commonly known as Taxi leather. :D

The easiest way to tell the difference is the door cards are 'ruffled' if its leather and smooth if its MbTex.

This should have been posted in the interior section, moving...

I've got half and half and you really can't tell the difference. A mate of mine who's into his leather (now, now - car seats etc only) always goes on about what good quality leather they are :D

Sp!ke said:
The easiest way to tell the difference is the door cards are 'ruffled' if its leather and smooth if its MbTex.

Not always .... sports coupe comes with smooth and thats got leather in it ...

the ruffled doorcards are no longer a giveaway

If you can get to the back of it, leather looks like suede and MB tex doesn't.

so I got 1 of each then...

Does this means that I have MBTex in my W202 as the door cards are smooth and leather in my W210 as the door cards are ruffled?

The dealer who sold me the car says the in the W202 the leather/MBTex was fitted when the last owner got the car from MB dealer, part of the Signature used cars. Don't mind it really as I have a small kid and if the stuff is as tough as they all says, all the better.

How about care for MBTex? Is it the same as leather?

Now confused

Now I'm confused...short of using a sharp knife I've managed to look under the headrest of the seats and found out that it looks like suede..so it's leather then?

Or is it 50/50, door cards MB Tex but seats are leather? Is there a way that I can remove the trim from the front seats and have a look to confirm?

rizal2510 said:
Now I'm confused...short of using a sharp knife I've managed to look under the headrest of the seats and found out that it looks like suede..so it's leather then?

Or is it 50/50, door cards MB Tex but seats are leather? Is there a way that I can remove the trim from the front seats and have a look to confirm?
If you tell me the chassis number I can get it looked up for you, unless it's been modified since it left the factory the EPC never lies :)

Thanks for the offer Shude, but from what I know the car was not equipped with leather from the factory. It was retrofitted sometime in 2000, and I only had it for a few weeks. But if you think it would be of help, I'll give you the chassis no.

From what I gather from the pics of your car in the gallery, the seats and interior are the same as yours except for the smooth doorcards. Could it be that when retrofitting leather they just use smooth instead ruffled doorcards?

Can't speak for the southern dealers, but all MB Dealers (and BMW also) in the North West / North Wales area have leather retro fitted by TrimTechnik on the Wirral. They even offered me Designo type combintions for £100 more than std factory leather when I ordered the CLK.

May be worth giving them a call in case they keep records of retrims etc.

I just exchanged my '99 BMW M Coupe with a '98 C43 T AMG, and have a question about the leather.

In the BMW it is very soft, nappa leather, while the C43's is a lot harder, and does look a bit plasticky - I checked the rear corner in the back seat and it was leather. But sure a C43 wouldn't come with half leather/half M Mtex or what the faux leather is called.

The leather is flawless, but is there a way to treat it to make it softer or is there a recommended product for it?

Thanks!

Anders

its v likely they didnt do the doorcards as they were the same colour.

I have found the C class leather to feel quite plasticky too. There are plenty of products on the market. I think the meguiars treatment was voted the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom