Leaving a Motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This happens on the M42 all the time (when permitted) on the new hard shoulder lanes.

There is an overhead sign saying "use hard shoulder for JXX only" and this lane is very often moving 10 - 15 mph faster than the lane to one's immediate right.

Speeds limits are posted on the gantry.

It's sometimes a bit worrying when LGVs do their usual trick of starting to creep leftwards though.

I think the correct answer will depend on the lane markings.

If the inner lane has dashed lines, no matter how close together they are then the lane will be classed as the left-most (inner) lane. In that case, I would imagine that you would therefore be undertaking and subject to punishment. Unless the traffic is congested and due care is given.

If the line is solid then that line should not be crossed and the lane would be classed as a separate lane and passing slower vehicles which are on your right should be OK.
I'd go for the poitn where the line swicth from the regular dashes to the short (almosted dotted) as the point where you are no longer on the same road.

Common sense and care are still needed of course.

Reactions: 219
... importantly, you are now directly IN FRONT of the guy in the S Class who was slowing things down, and you can give him the finger whilst waiting at the lights at the junction.:devil:

Simples
:ban:

I'll get my coat!

I missed this post earlier... I'm sure it was meant a bit tongue-in-cheek, but was there any need for that? I'm sure you'd never give me the finger at the lights at the junction in real life, so why conjure-up the image? I'm not looking for a public apology or anything, it's just that throw-away comments like that are probably going to make members disinclined to ask questions and voice opinions on matters they feel matter. I thought that was what forums are all about, but they also self-police due to the moderation, and judgement of the users. I've seen too many font-of-knowledge regular contributors on here lost in the last 12 months due to a moments' lack of judgement on behalf of other members. I'll speak no more about it, other than adding a smiley as a peace pipe. :)

Actually, it might be more than a minor point in motoring law as I was surprised to hear that undertaking = mandatory ban as discussed in the lane hogging what do you do thread.

Again it almost certainly wouldn't be in anyone's best interests to prosecute if it turns out that it's an 'illegal' manouver. I've certainly not heard anyone done for it, and it's a less antagonistic approach to be able to pass on the left on this occasion. I suppose what it amounts to is I'd rather not have to debate the nuances of what a dotted line is to 'the man' on the hard shoulder.

Highway code:

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Yeah, 268 may have some bearing on it, though it's for dealing with congested conditions where it can be generally applied, and not leaving a motorway in particular; I don't see a HC specific provision relating to the conditions set-out in the OP.

I think I understand what we are trying to get at so let me see if I have it right? For instance are we saying that on a motorway you still have your normal 3 lanes and then a lane or lanes to the near side for the particular exit only? If so heres my take.

The filter lane is normally separated from the carriageway by short, fat dashed lines, this denotes the lane is separate to the main carriage way but subject to motorway restrictions. So if the normal lane 1 was moving at 50 mph and you went down the filter lane at 70 mph and passed traffic on your right, as long as you came off at the exit that is perfectly legal and no offence has been committed.

However if you went from lane 1 down the filter lane passed traffic on your right and then went back into lane 1 that would be a blatant undertake.

Just my 2p worth

A few personal observations on this intersting thread.

Firstly, I agree that it would be helpful if the Highway Code specifically stated how to behave on a filter lane. The closest it seems to come is in the section on road markings, where the type of markings used at the start of a long filter lane ('hazard warning line': long lines, short gaps) refers the reader to Rule 127, which states: "A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off." Clearly in the context of a filter lane this line is not marking the centre of the road, but its use does suggest that from that point forward, the road will become two separate carriageways with an attendant hazard. Also, the fact that it refers to seeing that "the road is clear", as opposed to "the road ahead", allows for it to be applied to lanes where the traffic is travelling in the same direction.

This is supported by the broader definition in Schedule 6 (Road Markings) of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (2002), which doesn't refer to these lines as centre lines, but states that traffic should not cross or straddle such a line unless it is safe to do so. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113aq.gif (diagram 1004.1). As the filter lane nears the juntion it's serving, these lines become shorter and more closely spaced to denote the edge of the carriageway, so this is the point at which the filter lane can be regarded as being a separate carriageway from the motorway. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/023113at.gif (diagrams 1009/1010).

On a separate point, any talk of "undertaking" being illegal or resulting in a mandatory ban is wide of the mark. As has already been pointed out, there are occasions where the Highway Code supports it, while also stating the correct procedure of moving into lane 2 or 3 and returing to lane 1 as soon as it's safe to do so. Crucially, there is no specific offence under the Road Traffic Act (1988/1991) of overtaking on the wrong side (to put it generically), so it is not illegal per se. The defined offences in this situation are 'Dangerous driving' (which carries a mandatory ban) and 'Careless, and inconsiderate, driving' (discretionary ban).

'Dangerous driving' is defined as meaning that your driving falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, and that it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.

'Careless, and inconsiderate, driving' means driving without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road.

Now, there is clearly (and deliberately) a lot of room for interpretation in those definitions, and there is always the further variable of whether a traffic officer views your manoeuvre as even being worthy of their attention. You will get some patrols who will pull you over just to make a point, but I believe most are level-headed enough to do so only if they are genuinely concerned about the standard of your driving.

I find it highly unlikely that someone would be charged with 'Dangerous driving' solely for passing another driver on the inside, even if they were on the same carriageway. It would come down to the manner in which the manoeuvre was undertaken, particularly if it involved aggressive or erratic driving, sudden lane changes, speeding excessively, cutting up other drivers, etc. I'm sure we've all seen this type of behaviour on the road and wished there had been police in the vicinity to take action.

Without the aggravating factors, the charge would be 'Careless, and inconsiderate, driving', on the grounds that you did not demonstrate "reasonable consideration for other persons using the road."

Again, I believe this would come down to how you had performed the manoeuvre. For instance, I often find myself travelling in lane 1 at around 70mph, with lane 2 all-but empty and a bunch of traffic in lane 3 all intent on getting someone up ahead to move out of their way by sitting behind them for long enough (and no doubt flashing furiously). In this situation, I would not hesitate to pass the lane 3 traffic in lane 1, provided lane 2 remained clear and none of the cars in lane 3 was indicating an intention to move into lane 2. In that sense, I would regard lane 2 as providing a kind of buffer zone, and I would not envisage being stopped for doing this.

It becomes more tricky if you try to pass on the inside in an adjacent lane. I will admit to having done this on occasions but have always taken precautions, with a view to avoiding a charge of careless/inconsiderate driving. Firstly, I would maintain a safe distance behind the other car for long enough for the driver to realise I was there, in the hope that they would move over to the left. If they stay put, and the lane to the left is still clear, I would indicate and move into that lane, but still stay far enough behind them so as not to be in their blind spot, as I find that moving over to the left can often prompt a previously inattentive driver ahead to follow suit. I would then hold position for around 20-30 seconds to give the other driver sufficient opportunity to realise I was there, and if they were still showing no signs of moving over – and we were not approaching any kind of junction – I would then decisively move past them on the inside. This is obviously still a risky strategy, and if stopped for doing it I would have to make a case for why I felt it was justified, but I would also feel that I had mitigated the risks to the extent that my driving could not reasonably be regarded as careless or inconsiderate. Of course, that's not to say that a traffic officer would agree with me, and as I type this I can almost hear him asking me what makes me think the driver ahead wouldn't just blithely pull into my lane while I was passing him, if he'd been too oblivious/ignorant to move over in the first place.

That said, I would never switch lanes and undertake as part of a single manoeuvre, as this is highly risky: it is likely to take the other driver by surprise and possibly panic them into braking or changing lanes themselves. Also, I would never undertake in an adjacent lane if the other car was travelling at or very close to the speed limit, as to do so would negate any other mitigation you might have.

So, getting back to the original question, if I were in a filter lane adjacent to lane 1 of the main carriageway, with a slower-moving car just ahead in lane 1, I would recognise the other car as a potential hazard, and only pass it if I was happy that it was showing no sign of being about to move into my lane. If the car was indicating left (or even looked to be veering that way), I would drop back and give it priority.

I would also expect the other driver to exercise similar care and not move into my lane ahead of me without first checking that it was clear and then indicating, though I accept that that may just be wishful thinking on my part...

The Highway Code needs to deal with this properly. I'll see if they are interested.

It seems to me that, once committed to a lane that is dedicated to an exit, you are on a different route and not simply a different lane. Would anyone consider passing slow lane 1 traffic on a slip road to be illegal, with due care and consideration?

I think you are correct.

I think I understand what we are trying to get at so let me see if I have it right?

The filter lane is normally separated from the carriageway by short, fat dashed lines, this denotes the lane is separate to the main carriage way but subject to motorway restrictions.

Nail firmly hit on head. That's precisely what I was getting at.

I didn't know the fat dashed lines separate the main carriageway, so bonus there.

Nice one :thumb:

Pete, I drive on one of these every day, and yes the fat dashes denote, you are no longer on the motorway and can proceed as if on a seperate road. For added benefit, it would be good if the lane you were exiting on had a notation regarding this, as is the case on the road I travel every day, M6 to M61.:thumb:

From where the road marking change between lanes, the left lane is technically a different road. i.e. single carriage-way road running alongside a dual carriage-way or motorway.
Therefore the speed limit in that lane SHOULD be 60 mph. Where the slip road/drop lane widens to two lanes it is still classed as single carriage-way so still 60 mph.

So, Yes you can overtake on the left but not as fast as on the right.

The HWC will never give a definitive answer because many junctions are unique.

Drive Safely.

The slip road is for slowing down/speeding up. I assume therefore that if observing the national speed limit for motorways, you will enter the slip road at 70(or speed up to 70 if joining)...are we all likely to be prosecuted for exceeding 60? Motorway regulations apply to slip roads.

Pete, I drive on one of these every day, and yes the fat dashes denote, you are no longer on the motorway and can proceed as if on a seperate road.

From where the road marking change between lanes, the left lane is technically a different road. i.e. single carriage-way road running alongside a dual carriage-way or motorway.
Therefore the speed limit in that lane SHOULD be 60 mph.

But it is still a Motorway isn't it? Not single or "ordinary" dual carraigeway, as you haven't reached the "end of motorway regulations" signs (normally at the top of the slip road). Therefore the normal motorway speed limit applies.

My only advice would be is to keep your speed constant.It is up to the driver who is merging into the lane you are travelling to match your speed.It is more dangerous to slow down (or speed up, possibly even more dangerous).If you need to speed up or slow down try to do it gradually.Try to anticipate a danger & drive accordingly.A driver that turns left onto a lane at a slower speed than you are travelling, causing you to brake, is cutting in (dangerous driving), even if they are signaling.Signaling does not give a driver an automatic right to suddenly turn into a lane.If there is heavy congestion in the right lane & you can see it is difficult to turn into the dedicated left lane more discretion should be used to allow the driver to merge into your lane.
I see no problem at travelling at 70 miles per hour on a dedicated lane if there is very little traffic around.If there is a car on the motorway (proper) accelerate smoothly (don't over-accelerate).Be mindful that the driver might suddenly turn left merging into the dedicated lane you are travelling on.Always remember some drivers are not always very good at judging other cars speeds when trying to merge.

Blimey, what a thread revival!

Anyway - just look at the lane markings with green cats eyes. Simples!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom