leaving for volvo land

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Car
C270 CDI (2004 w203)
Hello all,

This is the best forum ever :thumb:, there are always super quick replies and help. But my MB has come to end of the road for me and been replaced by a vovlo diesel (save money on fuel - and its actually very rapid too; nice 5 cylinder growl).

Thanks for all the advice and hopefully I will rejoin in a couple of years when diesel MBs have depreciated! :D

Rgds, P

Enjoy the Volvo P.

I'm sure you will be back in Mercedes land some time.

Stick around on the forum and let us know how the Volvo is going.

CHEERS

Volvos are ''good'' cars but they are not ''drivers'' cars. I have a Volvo and it serves its purpose perfectly but I would never think to myself......I fancy going for a drive......I think I will take the Volvo.

See you soon.

Mic

Volvos are ''good'' cars but they are not ''drivers'' cars. I have a Volvo and it serves its purpose perfectly but I would never think to myself......I fancy going for a drive......I think I will take the Volvo.

See you soon.

Mic

I had a Saab that fitted that description perfecty.

Nothing wrong with it at all - just had absolutely no character.

See you soon.

Mic

Nor are Mercedes driver's cars really. I'm not entirely convinced any modern saloon is a driver's car, including offerings from BMW. Modern saloons and estates are no more exciting than a washing machine. Useful to own, but not exciting.

get your bum in a amg merc it can be a old one for two grand or a new one

and if you call it a washing machine theirs some thing wrong with your cycle (washing that is )

it depends on the car of model no make

Now where is my spell check button? Tongue firmly in cheek as always!

get your bum in a amg merc it can be a old one for two grand or a new one

and if you call it a washing machine theirs some thing wrong with your cycle (washing that is )

it depends on the car of model no make

I've driven them, and on the whole I don't especially like them. I've had more fun in an Austin A40 on crossply tyres than in an AMG. By the time you're having fun in an AMG or a Volvo T5R or an M sport BMW on a public road you're deep into driving licence losing territory. For me that takes the edge of the fun.

I think the OP will enjoy his D5. They're pretty nice. I've got a Volvo S80 D5 as well as a Volvo 940 SE Turbo. The Volvo 940 replaced a much newer Mercedes E320CDI and I've never once regretted that decision. I always pick up the keys to the 940 rather than the S80 when going on a long drive.

It's an 850 TDI and is not as nice to drive as the merc - fr wheel drive and low profile tyres don't help. But, it has immense mid range overtaking power, really addictive, and it does 40+ mpg which is what I really need for a while. Oh, and it isn't as rusty as my newer merc!

Does anyone use snake oil in their diesel? Was thinking of treating it to a redex/miller type thing, but my head says why bother?

Drove a Merc for 9 years then changed to a Volvo XC90, nice motor but just too many "noises" for me. After using a Merc auto box the Volvo one seemed prehistoric. 6 months later went to local Merc dealers for an E-class. Doubt if I'll ever go to the dark side again

See you soon.

Mic

Guess you have not driven a 960/v90 volvo then engineering is 1st class once you learn that it hates corners but comfort is its best feature with reliability outstanding I have two 960s estates plus a v90 +mb e430 and THE BEAST e55 amg est.My 960s travelled to GIB so many times they knew the way mileage 417k/287k this tells factor as long term high miler my e430 now resides in france as costs to maintain in uk are too high . Verdict comfort VOLVO reliable VOLVO performance MB E55AMG not e430

Just why are Volvo and Saab seats so comfortable ?

Just why are Volvo and Saab seats so comfortable ?

Because they care. I had an S60, and now have an S40, and they're both supremely comfortable and easy cars to drive.

The S60 had five cylinders and a remap too :)

I like my cars to be capable of ludicrous speed, and yet relaxing and comfortable most of the time. That's why I don't drive Audis or BMWs.

Back in merc land!
850 TDI was a great car, I then upgraded slightly to a V70, super reliable, no rust, amazing seats, fast and economical.
However, turing circle o a large fwd car was supertanker size and embarrassing at times. plus the whole thing felt like an ordinary car but built to a high standard (perhaps the other way round for some mercs!)

welcome back

what MB are you driving?

I got a c270cdi, w203, and I love it. Feel like a car hued from a solid piece of granite.
cheers, P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom