leaving iphone to go to samsung

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Technical specs aside, most modern smart phones will do what 99% of the population need. Some just manage it without costing a fortune that's all.

If you like an iPhone and don't mind paying a premium for it then that's fine.

I'm sure there's some car buying parallels to be found in there somewhere.

I have seen quite a few friends who have had problems with iOS8 on older devices, namely lost contacts, considerably slowed down the device and some minor bugs. This tends to be the case with a new iOS as imo they are optimized for the new device they are about to launch (in this case iP6) and hence tend to not always work as well on older devices. May be a coincidence, but have seen this many times over the years and iOS is no different.

I personally have a HTC M8 and would recommend it to the OP over the Samsung, but it all boils down to what you find the easiest to use and what does the job for you. I agree with SPX, if you have a number of Apple devices then it does make it easy to share them across devices.

If you do decide to go Android, get you music on your PC and then it will be easy to move around. If you use 'google play music', you can upload up to 20,000 tracks and listen to them anywhere without having them on your device (via data).

Not sure about the itunes music but the Moto G is getting great reviews for a reasonable price and it does have a migrate function but not sure what that drags over

Moto Gs are the dogs whatsits, and if you break it or lose it, not the end of the world.

Choosing between iPhone and Android...

The key question is:

Do you want all the nude photos you took of yourself with your phone splashed all around the internet?

No? Then don't buy Apple.

(All my nude selfies are secure because I use Android).

Secure? What cloud are you on? :D :D :D

Moto g is excellent value for money but a handful of things remind you that it is an entry level smartphone.

3 members of my family have them and I would completely recommend them to anyone unless you want a decent camera with your phone.

For well under £100 you can't really complain...

I have an IPOD touch. Brilliant gadget. I also have an old 2dd hand Iphone 4s, also works well.

To complete the kit I also have an android phone and a nexus tablet.

And a fence to sit on:)

Thanks. Some useful things. And not so useful thoughts about naked photos... 8-/. The main reason I want to swap is just because I feel like a corporate b1tch bowing to every update apple want me to make. I just updated to ios7 and don't really like it. I don't know why they should change so much that works so well just for the sake if it?? It's no better. Yes, they'll be things I can't see that are better, but I liked the old one and regret updating. The reason I'm hesitant is that I was a firm Nokia man back in the day. 1999 I got my first and had them for 10 years with a 12 month blip to a Sony Ericsson and what a pile of dung that was. The worst thing I ever has the misfortune of wasting money on. Back to Nokia. Will I feel the same about a Samsung (read: anything but an iPhone)?

Yes, 2 1/2 years but it's my second handset after the first packed up 11 months in. Had to go through the whole idiotic system of booking an appointment at the apple shop. (It's not a store, we're in Britain..). I don't know any other retailer where you walk in and say "I want to spend money" and the they have the arrogance to tell you to go away and book an appointment to come back and spend money. Hate it. I think it's partly I don't like the arrogance of Apple... I saw a clip of the first bloke (tw4t) going into the apple shop in Birmingham to collect his iPhone 6 and all the staff whooped and cheered and hi5'd him on the way in..... Seriously... It's a flipping telephone. Get a life.

I don't like all that stuff but still appreciate it's a quality product. As someone alluded to here; you could say it's like a rolls Royce versus a vauxhall. Both will get you from a to b, both will have Bluetooth, sat nav, leather etc. but the rolls has the extra quality... (But no whooping salesman giving hi5s).

I'm undecided, iPhone and accept being apart of the cult. Or risk change and be free of the Jobs-worth.

Last edited:
I just buy Apple stuff because I like it and it has caused me no problems. You won't find me queueing or whooping.

I've never had to book to buy anything!

Why don't you buy a cheap S3 from ebay and stick a pay as you go sim in. Run it for a few weeks along side your Iphone and see how you get on.

That way your not in any contract and you just sell the S3 when the experiment is done.

I had an i-phone 3 on a 12 month contract some time ago, after 1 month I hated it so much I went back to my 8 year old nokia. Now I've got a Samsung note 3, it's faster than the i-phone, doesn't crash like the i-phone, and also gets a signal where friends i-phone's cant (despite being on the same network).

I bought a Sony Xperia Z1 last year, loved the OS, found the screen great, and even the size was ok, but would have bought the Xperia compact if it was out when I got the Z1.

However, in every day life I found the boring stuff, the stuff that should be seamless, a pain in the ****. Things like backing up, transferring music over, connecting to the car, playing through Sonos etc.

I even bought a £1000 Mirrorlink Alpine head unit so I could use my Xperia, it is designed to hook up with Android phones, but still my old iPhone worked so much better with it.

The iPhone just works, it backs up over wifi to the cloud and to my Macbook, if I add a new album to a playlist it appears on my phone, no mater what car I get in it works as a music player and I never have to think about anything.

Now I am sure there are others who say the same about their Android phones, I hear some people have trouble with data sharing in their Mercs?

But for me I appreciate the power of Android, however, I appreciate the fact a closed system is far easier for third parties to work with and thus gives more compatability.

I use my phone for calls and texts, and to play music from, either the iPod or Soundcloud etc. maybe set Sky to record something if I have forgotten or to watch a bit of footy if waiting in the car, but that is about it. If you do a lot more with your phone I can appreciate Android may be a better option.

I lasted around 4 months and went back to an iPhone, this time a 5s, and I was so pleased when I did.

If you think their May be a solution I am eager to know as I am not a computer geek ;)

I suggest in the first instance you delete the saved wireless access point that is causing issues on your device and set it back up again and see what happens.

I suspect that might do the trick, if not you need to do a bit of analysis on what is different about this particular access point... its channel, its security settings and frequency.

The iPhone just works, it backs up over wifi to the cloud and to my Macbook, if I add a new album to a playlist it appears on my phone, no mater what car I get in it works as a music player and I never have to think about anything.

I think that's probably one of the main points, if you've already bought into the apple brand (Macbooks etc), then you're already probably using iTunes and iCloud so it's an easier choice.

If you're basically after a phone that'll run apps then I think there are better alternatives.

I don't mean this in a bad way but I think Apple with their closed systems are more user friendly to the less techie individual as it's harder to make mistakes, although I find this a double edged sword as once you get familiar and want to do more, that's when you find the limitations.

I wouldn't say I am not techie, I used to modify consoles years ago, chipping them, working out how to get RGB out of the video decoders, how to write code for the chips themselves.
Ran Suse when everyone else was getting wowed by Win 98! :D

To me it is the support from third party companies, whether that is BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc. or devices with built in airplay, or high end companies HiFi companies with iPad only control systems that keep me with Apple.
Every time a get a new Android device I love it, until I come across some thing that doesn't work with my other stuff.
It is the closed architecture of the Apple products that make it so much easier for third party companies to work with them than it is to work with Android.
The Alpine Mirrorlink (Androids vs of Airplay) head unit and discussions with Sony and Alpine that made me realise just how tricky it is for them, both Sony and Alpine pretty much said that as soon as they get a certain handset working it is already obsolete, Alpine said that they were giving up on non apple product design going forward, a never ending combination of handsets and firmwares with some running 4.1, some on 4.2 and some already on 4.4, getting the head unit to talk to 4.1 took them a year and buy the time it was out everyone had upgraded to 4.2 already.

My wife uses an iPhone 5S and I have a 5. she uses an iPad mini and I use a nexus 7. also have a iMac. We share contacts and diaries and if you enter one it automatically sync on all devices. To get this to work on the Android nexus tablet I use two apps. Smoothsync for cloud contacts and one for calendars.so its quite possible to get them talking to one another.

Must admit when I use her iPad mini it feels a far superior product to my nexus 7 but then it cost more too :Dl

Gizze has hit the nail on the head for one of the only reasons I have or had apple items.

Not the backup or sync thing because android functions seamlessly if you use their infrastructure in the same way as you do with your iPhone. This is a non issue as I see it.

Connectivity is an issue though.
After having an iPhone 3G for a while to utilise my pioneer F900BT car head unit I ditched the iPhone and bought a 160gb iPod that I left in the glovebox.

Using any other phone or music player wasn't as slick or integrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom