Leaving Mercedes and heading back over to BMW.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSTurbo50

Car
W212 E250 CDi AMG Sport
Well, I have been with Mercedes for the past 12 months. Bought my 2013 Mercedes C220 CDI AMG Sport Plus Coupe in black in June 2023. Sold it after 6 months. December 2023 purchased an extremely clean and low mileage E250 CDi AMG Sport 2014 model, saloon. Sold it within the past few days. I love the Mercedes brand, love the look of the cars but for whatever reason whenever I drive or own one the feeling is genuinely a little underwhelming. I cant quite put my finger on it. I wouldnt say they were inferior to BMW but the overall experience, for me at least, is that BMW makes you feel more alive and the ride is so much more engaging.

I have just purchased a 2017 BMW 330d M Sport Touring X Drive and its such an amazing car in literally every way. The engine is an absolute peach, the styling is spot on, loads of space in it, performance wise it can keep up with most performance cars and the drive is so much more engaging.

people may say you should have bought an E350 CDi as the engine is much nicer than its 4 cylinder sibling. The fact is I had an E350 CDi Coupe a few years ago and once again I found the whole car very much uninspiring. Im gutted a little bit, however after having owned many many BMW's over the years, I come to the conclusion that as a drivers car they are leaps and bounds above Mercedes and I am yet to drive a Mercedes that for me at least compares to a BMW. Even the W204 C63 was a disappointment........I love the Mercedes brand but for the foreseeable at least the BMW will be the King..

(Cough) Apart from the diesel bit, have to agree.

Nimble, light, swift, well made, right-sized…

Just choose the small wheels and adaptive suspension…

(Cough) Apart from the diesel bit, have to agree.

Nimble, light, swift, well made, right-sized…

Just choose the small wheels and adaptive suspension…

Yep but the 3 litre 6 cylinder BMW is a peach of an engine and sounds really good as well.

The wheels are 19" but doesnt have adaptive suspension.

Yep but the 3 litre 6 cylinder BMW is a peach of an engine and sounds really good as well.
Who am I to disagree?

Each to their own, but fully agreed, I'm just more of a petrolhead ABC / Airmatic guy than a "Nordschleife"

Nice purchase fella. Enjoy! that engine to me is always considered a wolf in sheep clothing. A Remap on those......!

My garage owning best mate had a 335d for a while and had it properly mapped. I swear to this day I don’t think I’ve ever driven a car with more sheer grunt, and I’ve driven plenty. It was insanely quick. Fortunately for him, rear tyre wear wasn’t a problem. 🤩
Coming back from Leeds Airport on the M1 ……………

There are a few Mercs Id still like to own at some point including the Facelift W212 E63, SL55 AMG and potentially another W204 C63 Coupe. Dont get me wrong my W212 E250 CDi was a great car, drove well, very comfortable but it never gave me the fizz. I never turned around when parking it up. It did everything well but never made me excited in any way. Maybe a car for me for my 60's but nod mid 40's....

Probably my favourite Merc to date was a rather nice CLK 320 CDi Sport I had a few years ago, prefered that to all the other Mercs Iv had. I just think BMW has the edge....plus it grates me as to why Mercedes didnt put a V6 diesel in the W205 C Class

No accounting for taste.

Beemers will always sell in Essex I suppose.

Until it needs a new timingt chain....
It’s not a huge issue on the 3 litre diesel, this was more an issue on the smaller 4 cylinder diesel.

Or how about a M113 powered E36 3 Series!!!???

1711978538292.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom