LED Daylight running lights on an SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

john925

Car
slk 350. Sports Pack. 18 inch alloys
Has anyone fitted led running lights on and SLK (r171) ? I would appreciate any advice before I buy and fit some

The LED aftermarket type all seem to be long and narrow beam whereas a DRL should be 270° wide. Plus they be ugly.

The fogs should be the answer but there is a problem because fogs are considered to dazzle up from a wet road. Yet the MB "fogs" are actually cornering/driving lamps with a diffuse wide flat beam, and they dazzle far less than a pair of xenons dips

The aftermarket LED DRL generally fit below the bumper, above or alongside the fog lamp, and are brighter than the fog lamp. Go figure.

Think very carefully first. Personally unless the car is designed with them in mind I think they dont look good. We just set ours to run all the time with the headlights on. Not ideal but looks better.

Most (if not all) of the After-Market DRL's look exactly like After-Market DRL's. There is a real danger that front of your beautiful pride and joy will end up looking a Kebab Shop Sign with wonky neon that bears no relation to the look you hope to achieve.

Personally I would leave alone or use the "lights on" feature.

Well I am about to fit some slim ones that will go up under the intake next to the fog lights. I am more concerned about safety than looks to some extent. My car is dark and I would sooner be seen than some idiot pulling out from a side road in front of me. Running with headlights on all the time doesnt appeal to me.

HELP Can anyone tell me how to identify the live feed to the side lights on my 2006 slk 350 Please.

Probably grey/black for the left hand sidelight and grey/red for the right hand sidelight.

Use a testlight if you're not sure.

Running lights

Must admit that I'm sort of eying up the Phillips units for my 230.

Like you I'm looking seriously at the daylight running with lights on purely for safety. In my case we live in the far SW and some of the local populace are quite unable to judge any sort of legal speed at all.

So - please post a picture when you've finished.

Cheers

I am fitting the Ring Lyra. The control box is built into the lights Wiring is a piece of cake once i can get it up behing the bumper and all the cross members etc. I have taken a fly lead off the offside sidelight as its easier to get at on my 350. Just one wire to the positive live on the battery. One to any suitable earth. and one the the sidelight Live feed Been too cold to do it today May have a go tomorrow

Not fitted yet but this is roughly how it will Look

Attachments

• SLK running lights .jpg
    SLK running lights .jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 341
Have to admit they look much better than I expected.

Hopefully if it stops raining tommorrow I can wire them in and see what they look like working. I have avoided drilling any part of the car. Buy a nightmare feeding the wires through. MB dont make it easy :wallbash:

Hello

Which ones have you gone for? Do you have a link, think they should look good depending on colour.

Are they wired into side lights?

Please post the all important night shot

Hello

Which ones have you gone for? Do you have a link, think they should look good depending on colour.

Are they wired into side lights?

Please post the all important night shot

They are Ring Lyra 12 leds. Full LED when the engine is running. Dimmed down when headlights are on They wire as follows. One wire to earth one wire to positive live. One wire spliced into the sidelight live feed wire. The control unit is housed inside the lights themselves.
Getting three wires fed through was a nightmare. I abandonded the supplied ones as I couldnt get the connectors though I made up 3 new wires and used a leader to pull them through. I havent wired them in as yet But as soon as I have I will post pictures

Lights are white LED any other colour is illegal in the UK and will fail an MOT !!!

Ok Lights wired in and working fine. Full LED with engine running. Stay on for a few seconds after you switch off. They dim when you put the headlights on. I am pleased with them. Two photos Not easy to see but one without headlights one with. Maybe try again when its dark

Attachments

• running lights.jpg
    running lights.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 223
  • running lights dimmmed..jpg
    running lights dimmmed..jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 220
^ I think they look ok

If you can take a dark one that would be great,

Funny I see an MX5 next to your car, we have owned a few of them and only yesterday was talking to my dad and now for the price of one of them new you can have a second hand SL500 or a SLK350 crazy !!

I still like them though :)

Yes I will try some later today. I have had the MX5 for three years Its been fun But its a bit lively I find and there is only one way to drive it. Its going at the end of may (leased) I find the slk just as lively but with the added luxury and better mannered in heavy traffic. Not to mention the sheer grunt when you floor it :)

^ I Agree

I could not go back to my MX5 now, far to comfy in the Merc....

Not to mention it would now have no room for the family :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom