LED Daylight running lights on an SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ppl think I am daft Giving up an 08 MX5 for an 06 merc. No contest I reckon

Just picked up a set of the same Ring Lyra's on eBay for £33 :)

They should arrive in a couple of days so I'll try and do some fitting this weekend.

OK best I can do Running lights normal running lights with dipped headlights. Its hard to see but they do dim a lot when the headlights are on. I think one row of LED's goes out.

Attachments

• running lights on.jpg
    running lights on.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 194
Just picked up a set of the same Ring Lyra's on eBay for £33 :)

They should arrive in a couple of days so I'll try and do some fitting this weekend.

I didnt use the metal brackets as they would look ugly and i didnt want to drill the bumper. I used strips of automotive grade double sided tape. Still might be fun if you had to get them off I hung onto them and couldnt move them

I thought DRL were supposed to go /off/ when the other lamps came on ?

The law seems to dictate that DRL /must/ extinguish (not dim) when the sidelights (and dip/main etc) come on.

Which is really the point for not using the fogs for the DRL purpose because the only way they can come on is with some other lamp in use.

I'm also thinking it is possible to wire the fogs to come on as DRL i.e. on their own with the ignition and extinguish when the sidelights are switched on (but also be switched on again as actual fog lamps, in fog). Needs a relay or two. I've seen one car (unknown make/model) a few times with just this, their tail lamps are off.

I've also seen newer MB with LED DRL, no other lamps on, no tail lamps on. Do these stay on with the other lamps? Do they dim? How do they convince the law they are DRL if they do not extinguish when the sidelights come on.

I think you will find provided they dim they are legal. I have a mate with and audi a4 and they only dim when the headlights are on. As long as they dont dazzle they are OK Fogs cast a beam DRL's dont Its not legal to use fogs without dipped headlights.

To be on the safe side I just checked the manufacturers specification

Dual function includes daytime running and night-time styling function providing 24 hour operation. Lights illuminate when engine is started to comply with legislation via a built in automatic lights on kit. 18 Ice white LEDs in each unit for maximum light output. E marked to ECE Reg 87 and ECE Reg 7 complies with DRL and DSL legislation.

Last edited:
I think you will find provided they dim they are legal. I have a mate with and audi a4 and they only dim when the headlights are on. As long as they dont dazzle they are OK Fogs cast a beam DRL's dont Its not legal to use fogs without dipped headlights.

To be on the safe side I just checked the manufacturers specification

Dual function includes daytime running and night-time styling function providing 24 hour operation. Lights illuminate when engine is started to comply with legislation via a built in automatic lights on kit. 18 Ice white LEDs in each unit for maximum light output. E marked to ECE Reg 87 and ECE Reg 7 complies with DRL and DSL legislation.

Now that is odd, because elsewhere we have learnt that DRL must extinguish with the sidelights. And that after-market DRL have a long narrow beam (shown on the side of the box) that is brighter than beam provided by fogs, which by design, to reduce reflection from fog, are diffuse and wide.

I have often been dazzled by the new LED type DRL whereas I have never been dazzled by a fog lamp unless used in conjunction with the dip on a clear night (simply too much light output).

OK, found these snippets (on a police forum)

Notwithstanding the difference between bulb and lens types for different types of light...
A pair of fog lights can be fitted up to 1200mm off the ground.
"Driving lights" can be fitted in pairs anywhere that points forward.
But... "driving lights" must be wired so that they go off using the same switch as your obligatory main beams. (Schedule 5, Parts I and II of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989)
and... fog lights must only be used in conditions of seriously reduced visibility, and mustn't dazzle. (Regulation 27(2) of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989)

That means fog lamps can only be used in fog and driving lamps can only be used with the main (not dip) beam.

Also - "They cannot claim them as running lights due to being over 800 candela power "

So it would seem that DRL have to be under 800cd.
So if the "fog" lamp is reduced to under 800cd it can be a DRL
800cd is about 10-20% of a dipped beam, but some OEM LED DRL are 1200cd, or about 50% brighter than a dipped beam, and are legal...

Yet it would also appear to be that the DRL should extinguish when the side lights (and further to dip/main) are turned on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom