LED foglight bulb legality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil1968

Car
W219 CLS 500, W447 Vito 114 CDI
Have some LED bulbs in mind that give the correct beam pattern & therefore won't blind other road users but I can't seem to find an answer as to whether they'll fail an MOT or not. I know replacing the filament bulbs in headlamps is an MOT failure. All I could find on the government MOT website was this:
"Are LED fog lights legal in the UK?
In the UK, front fog lights are optional, whereas one rear fog lamp is mandatory. Since 2011, new cars are mandatory equipped with daytime running light (DRL). LED fog lamps can be used as daytime running light on condition that they have an adequate dimming function and are positioned symmetrically on the car front."
So my understanding is that as front foglights are optional, they have to be working if present & it doesn't matter what bulb is used?

As long as the Led bulbs don't trigger a dash warning light and they are not the silly blue light that would draw attention, then they may well go unnoticed.
I guess though they remain illegal

Front fog lights were not a requirement until 1st March 2018. Front fog lamps on older vehicles are therefore not required to be inspected as part of the MOT. Post March 2018 vehicles will have the fog lights inspected and assessed for colour and light output but I suspect they will only be concerned that they are white.

4. Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK
That answers my question, thankyou 👍

Many years ago my BMW E3 failed the MOT on after market rear fog lights not working. Removed the fog lights, back to MOT station and a new MOT issued. I assume if fitted they have to work.

This issue has puzzled me for some time, by definition, front fogs should not be too bright, in fog they will reflect back, reducing visibility, not improving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom