LED headlamps and snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deej

Car
W205 C250D AMG Prem Plus, 19s
Hey,

So despite living in Scotland and having had my W205 for a year, last night I was driving in heavy snowfall for the first time in it. I was following a car in almost whiteout conditions and thinking nothing of it until that car pulled off and I was left with nobody to follow. I couldn't understand why I was unable to see much, so I pulled over and was surprised to discover over an inch of snow/ice covering both headlamps. When I used my hand to clear it I was surprised to discover there is no heat from the lights at all. Surely this is a major safety issue that affects cars with LED headlamps? Should they not be fitted with elements to generate heat for winter driving?

In a bad winter up here I could be stopping every 15 minutes to clear the lenses!

'Tis a good point. Your car doesn't have headlamp cleaners?

The heat is wasted power; not generating a lot of heat is what makes the LEDs so low power.

I know I've got (heated?) headlamp cleaners for my bi-xenons. As above, do you not have them for LED headlights too?

I know I've got (heated?) headlamp cleaners for my bi-xenons. As above, do you not have them for LED headlights too?
Nope.

Headlamp washers are a legal requirement for xenon lamps, but (perhaps strangely) not for LED lamps, and neither the W212 nor the W205 with LED lamps have headlamp washers fitted.

Yup, no headlamp washers. Seems like a major oversight by the manufacturers and/or those who regulate car safety, IMO.

Headlamp washers are not a legal requirement for xenons, some cars are manufactured without cleaning equipment. The only testing at MOT time for this is to check they work if fitted.

I have heated headlamp washers but it doesn't really cut through heavy snow.

Headlamp washers are not a legal requirement for xenons, some cars are manufactured without cleaning equipment. The only testing at MOT time for this is to check they work if fitted.

I have heated headlamp washers but it doesn't really cut through heavy snow.

I'm sure that it is a legal requirement for Xenon lights to have auto levelling headlamps and headlamp washers.

Whether MOT testers check for those or not, is another question.

I believe that falls under C&U/ECE regs (i.e. for Type Approval). It's not required at MoT time, in fact the testing manual specifically says that they may not be present.

^ Correct. Both points.

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED​
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

Reason for Rejection:
A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

Hey,

So despite living in Scotland and having had my W205 for a year, last night I was driving in heavy snowfall for the first time in it. I was following a car in almost whiteout conditions and thinking nothing of it until that car pulled off and I was left with nobody to follow. I couldn't understand why I was unable to see much, so I pulled over and was surprised to discover over an inch of snow/ice covering both headlamps. When I used my hand to clear it I was surprised to discover there is no heat from the lights at all. Surely this is a major safety issue that affects cars with LED headlamps? Should they not be fitted with elements to generate heat for winter driving?

In a bad winter up here I could be stopping every 15 minutes to clear the lenses!

I wondered what would happen in a snow storm with these cars. I had hoped that the aerodynamics might have deflected the snow off the headlamp lenses.

Maybe case for old-fashioned fog lamps with proper bulbs, then...or a continuous jet of compressed air across the lenses.

Ernie

At least the W222 with multi-beam leds comes with fans that keep the headlamps clean of ice and snow (as far as possible) as well as cool down led units if necessary. Perhaps the W205 is different or the standard leds are different?

At least the W222 with multi-beam leds comes with fans that keep the headlamps clean of ice and snow (as far as possible) as well as cool down led units if necessary. Perhaps the W205 is different or the standard leds are different?

There's no heat from the LEDs of the Sport 205s. The SE has normal bulbs so should be less of a problem.

Might be scope here for a lateral thinker?

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom