Led headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m11nch

Car
ml270,ml420,ml280
Hi i would like to upgrade my GL320
headlights.
To do a factory xenon conversion is to costly.
so seeing that's it's 2017 could there be any decent led h7 bulbs that work better than what I've got
I have seen a h7 with angle adjustment
So not to blind oncoming traffic but £100 a pair is steep and not sure if any good plus I need 1 high beam and 1 low beam bulb on each side
eBay have a load on there but not sure of quality
any advice welcome

I'm surprised a 2017 model doesn't have bi-xenon headlights as standard!

You would be a bit of a pioneer taking this on..

Several of us have tried but ther results have been pretty unsatisfactory. Because of size/position/number of the LED emitters, you may get loads more light but not on the road where you want it.

I'mn sure the perfect H7 plud-n-play LED is out there but I haven't found one yet.

One thing to be careful of if you go ahead. The little stainless-steel adaptor plate that holds the bulb is not available separately, and Mercedes can't make up their mind wether it's part of the Headlamp Assy, or the wiring loom....so good luck buying a replacement if you damage it. You will certainly have to modify it to allow for the heat-sink which hangs out the back (if you'll pardon the expression) of the LED bulb.

Good luck with your research, and keep us informed.

I'm surprised a 2017 model doesn't have bi-xenon headlights as standard!
Mines a 2009 GL320 i was just saying that it's 2017 and there should be something with led tech for aftermarket bulbs that just work

Ive found this it looks interesting but expensive they talk the talk
But still everyone I talk to still says led headlights throw the light everywhere
But the road.

H7 Philips LUXEON ZES Headlight Kit - 4000 Lumens

About 6 or 7 months ago, I read that Philips were developing aftermarket led headlight bulbs but had not yet acquired ECE type approval for them. Sep 2017 was given as likely date to market.

The H4s are on sale now, but are not legal for road use. Hopefully road legal bulbs are still in development.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/...MIrMq7i9qz1gIVWYmyCh1eBwV9EAQYAiABEgKoO_D_BwE
I see they have H7 bulbs there too
But like you said no ECE not sure what that is but sounds like I can ignore it as it will probably be approved at some point????
Still £175 is steep but I am tempted

Each of our products comes with a unique QR code that can be verified as authetnic [sic] by Philips

So I purchased the Phillips leds h7 they fitted great as you can unscrew the heat sink and put the holding tab in place I used these on the low beam
I also bought some cheaper h7 s off eBay for £35 and put them on my main beam but they had to be wedged in to place
The T10 side lights I installed gave me errors on the dash so I soldered in a 3w resistor all good
I have been driving for a week now
The lights are brilliant I don't get people flashing me on low beam
I will post pictures soon

Well done for researching this, it's greaqt to know that a real solution to these cr*p low-beams exists.

It occurs to me that Phillips probably buy these from a chinese manufacturer (as very little is made anywhere else), so did you see any H7s on ebay that looked similar, particularly with regard to the removable heatsink?

The fitting of the heat sink was the biggest problem that made me abandon the project and fir Nightbreakers, but the improvement in light output is not spectacular.

One reason for keeping H7's is that they generate enough heat to warm up the lamp assembly,
which makes it less prone to condensation deposits inside. I got tired of the yellowish light
from the standard H7's in my previous car. Easier to buy two pairs of Osram "Super White" or what
they call them. Had the car for two years. Never had to replace any of them.

Well done for researching this, it's greaqt to know that a real solution to these cr*p low-beams exists.

It occurs to me that Phillips probably buy these from a chinese manufacturer (as very little is made anywhere else), so did you see any H7s on ebay that looked similar, particularly with regard to the removable heatsink?

The fitting of the heat sink was the biggest problem that made me abandon the project and fir Nightbreakers, but the improvement in light output is not spectacular.

I haven't seen that type yet it has two leads out one for the fan and one for the lights so it can be disassembled easier that would be the tell tale

View an approaching car: ;)

white-shadow.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom