LED number palte light replacement W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenmercedes

Car
W203 C240 (LPG conversion) RIP
I have recently replaced the bulbs of my number plate with LED ones and am pleased with the result. I was curious though that there are complete bulb holders available for the car, but on a quick YouTube search, it appears they need quite an extensive trim removal on the boot (including number plate removal) to install. However, they look as if the whole fitting just pulls out which is the obvious simple solution. Anyone know if my assumption on this easy route is wrong?

s-l1600.jpg

I’m almost certain you need to remove a lot of the boot trim to fit. :)

Bummer! The fitting looks deceptively easy to pull out and push in... Guess it's all just an optical illusion then.

Bummer! The fitting looks deceptively easy to pull out and push in... Guess it's all just an optical illusion then.

I find those too bright anyway, do you get an error with a standard canbus LED?

I find those too bright anyway, do you get an error with a standard canbus LED?

No error message at all. I have also put LEDs in the sidelights & front fog lights, all operate bright & fault free...

The boot liner has to come out. I had to remove the holder for the warning triangle and the plastic lower half of the boot lid to fit mine.

The boot liner has to come out. I had to remove the holder for the warning triangle and the plastic lower half of the boot lid to fit mine.

May I ask a dumb question? Why can't you just insert a trim tool and ease the fitting out in situ? It looks as if the 2 side mounting clips should facilitate this?

I fitted these on my old W211. Originally I just put LED festoons in as was scared of taking the trim apart.

As per usual they lasted a while then started playing up. They weren’t a great fit either if I’m honest, and they were canbus.

Anyway, I bought the proper units and to be fair it was only half an hour if a job taking the trim off the inside, numberplate etc. It wasn’t half as bad as it sounded.

The proper units were fantastic. They never threw a fault & were still going strong when I sold the car.

Nige.

as above, fitted the complete units on my w211, inner\outer lower boot trim needs to be removed to get the old units out

I put complete units on my w204 and IMO they were far too bright. So I took them off.

There are a few guys on this thread who have done the full 'trim removal' to get at the no. plate light (respect...), however, as removal is often similar procedure to reinstating, can anyone tell me why the whole fitting can't be slid out without a lengthy dismantle?

Video shows fitting popping back in place... (time at 1.40 onward)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

enticing water in the boot taking that number plate holder apart, using the old poppers. weak design by mb , so much so they did away with it.

I’m almost certain you need to remove a lot of the boot trim to fit. :)

He is correct, its a ballache to do.. but once done a good result.. aids reversing at night to over the standard reverse light as it lights up the ground round the car ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom