LED number plate flickering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paddcomp

Car
E320CDI Avantgarde Estate S211
I replaced the number plate festoon bulbs with SMD LED error free lights. True they are error free on the OBC, but they flicker sometimes (as I only see them when I walk around the back of the car).

Do I need a different set of LEDs or load resistors? Anyone used LED number plate lights without problems on a CLS.

Do you have the follow me home + auto lighting functions switched off? If not, these can cause LEDs to fail.

Do you have the follow me home + auto lighting functions switched off? If not, these can cause LEDs to fail.

I like auto lights, I don't think I could go back to switch them on myself. Do you know why the convenience functions damages LED? Are lights not either on or off?

Once the car is switched off the 'follow me home' lighting switches to different voltage/fluctuates which plays havok with LEDs.

Once the car is switched off the 'follow me home' lighting switches to different voltage/fluctuates which plays havok with LEDs.

Just a thought, my rear clusters are LED, so what do MB do to protect those. Comes back to my question on load resistors.

I have LED rear number plate lights never had a problem, they work just fine with auto lights ....

Solved

I tried the load resistors, no effect, still flashes.

Quick trip to Halfords and purchased a pair of normal filament festoon bulbs, back to OEM fit.

I was looking to "upgrade" my other exterior lights to LEDs, doesn't seem worth the hassle now.

Which ones did you get MWCLS?

I bought them from a merc/bmw/porsche indy in hainault Essex.. sorry the name of the company escapes me, ill have a look through my receipts when I get home.. They were £20.00 the pair and have been faultless.

The number plate lights on my Mercedes Benz have been flickering and not switching on for a very long time. This occurs most frequently when my vehicle is driving over speed bumps or on unsteady roads. Since I spent a fortune purchasing this luxurious dream car, I am extremely concerned with its appearance.
However, I have attempted to find market-based solutions to this problem, but I have only found one replacement that is fully compatible with my licence plate. Please advise if you have ever purchased LED licence plate lights from Mercedes Benz - LED Number Plate Lights - LED Lighting I've heard that this vendor's LED lights are legal and MOT compliant. Therefore, I've decided to give them a try if I get further recommendations.

The number plate lights on my Mercedes Benz have been flickering and not switching on for a very long time. This occurs most frequently when my vehicle is driving over speed bumps or on unsteady roads. Since I spent a fortune purchasing this luxurious dream car, I am extremely concerned with its appearance.
However, I have attempted to find market-based solutions to this problem, but I have only found one replacement that is fully compatible with my licence plate. Please advise if you have ever purchased LED licence plate lights from Mercedes Benz - LED Number Plate Lights - LED Lighting I've heard that this vendor's LED lights are legal and MOT compliant. Therefore, I've decided to give them a try if I get further recommendations.

You didn't specify if the lights that are currently flickering are the original incandescent bulbs, or replacement LED ones.

If the former, then the issue is likely to be with the wiring or the lamp housing etc, and replacing the bulbs with LED won't fix it - you'll need to find and fix the underlying cause first.

I would think that lights flickering when driving on bumpy roads and speed humps is most probably due to a contact issue rather than a bulb issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom