LED Rear Light Clusters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wattywoo

Car
Mercedes 280 CDI estate
Hi there, new to the forum and looking for advice. I have a 57 plate 280CDi E Class Estate. I want to change the rear light clusters to LED's, so that's indicators, running lights and reversing lights. Is this possible and if so where would I be able to buy such things?

All help massively appreciated....!

Think again unless you want to spend a bunch on LED replacement bulbs or replace the entire units and get the computer re=programmed! I looked at changing all the bulbs on the back of my 2008 S204 to error-free LED's, the cost was ridiculous. I've also seen a thread either on here or on t'other side about changing W204 pre-facelift rear lighte to post facelift LED lighte, and it was achieved but was neither easy or cheap.

Welcome. My advice - don't bother. The S211 rear light system is complex, doing clever things like running the rear fogs at 25% if the tail lamp fails. The HiP bulbs last for ages and are soldered to the PCB. You'd need to build new PCBs that were compatible with the car's system -- and unless you got them type-approved, they would not be legal.

I have a 2004 S211 E270.

Because it is an avantgarde model it has brake lights and tail lights as LED's.. save yourself some money and trouble and stick with 'bulbs' the LED's and/or associated circuitry is certainly not "error free".

Last edited:
Not as easy as changing bulbs, a number of bulbs are soldered onto the circuit board.

Brake lights are on LED boards for avantgard models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom