LED replacement bulbs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sysman

Car
Sprinter 316cdi
Are LED bulbs worth it for the Sprinter will they produce errors, does anyone have any experience and can recommend a particular brand?

You can buy LED bulbs with built-in resistors, aka 'Canbus error free', essentially it fools the SAM into thinking that there's an incandescent bulb in place. But obviously it will no longer let you know if a light isn't working (because it won't know). You can pretty much replace any bulb - interior or exterior - with LED, apart from obviously the dipped and main beam (Halogen/HID to LED conversion are illegal in the UK and EU). Forum admin KillerHERTZ used to supply good quality error-free bulbs, might be worth asking him if he still has any.

BTW, if you do want to improve the perfomance of the main or dipped beam, look at Osram NightBreaker or Philips Xtreme. They offer much brighter light (though at the cost of reduction in service life). It's an inexpensive upgrade and it's perfectly legal.

My car had a lot of aftermarket LED bulbs (sidelights, number plate, interior) when I bought it and every single one failed in the first 18 months. Some also got scarily hot in use. Have changed them all back to standard bulbs now. There are probably good ones from recognised manufacturers (Philips, Osram) but they are expensive.

Agree on the Osram Nightbreakers - worthwhile upgrade.

There's led bulbs and led bulbs , I've had mine for years , interior , reversing , sidelights , number plate , only had the one numberplate led fail .

Philips 501 led is uber quality with ceramic body and a light diffuser .

BTW, if you do want to improve the perfomance of the main or dipped beam, look at Osram NightBreaker or Philips Xtreme. They offer much brighter light (though at the cost of reduction in service life). It's an inexpensive upgrade and it's perfectly legal.
Coming to this late, but what Osram NightBreaker versions would I need for a 2001 SL 500?

I was told that those were solid replacement bulbs.

Id be open to other suggestions though. Currently I am trying to LED bulbs to work w/ a decoder. They are turning on but I am still seeing a check headlight warning on the dash.

Osram Nightbreakers are third rate bulbs now .

A brighter Halogen bulb is the only practical legal route.

Note that these tests usually compare the brightest bulb available in their respective ranges. However, any incandescent bulb will offer a trade-off between brightness and longevity, so the blighter ones will also have the shortest service life.

I had over the years the original Osram Nightbreaker, the Nightbreaker Plus, and the Nightbreaker Ultimate, and even though life span improved with every new model, it was still significantly shorter than standard bulbs.

I finally went for Osram Nightbreaker Silver, which claim to be a decent compromise between brightness and longevity, and I wasn't disappointed - they are not as bright as the current Nightbreaker Laser series, but they are a significant improvement over the standard bulbs, and they have so far lasted 3 years which is considerably longer than any of the previous Nightbreaker bulbs lasted.

I haven't tried Philips Xtreme, but I would expect similar issues.

Look brilliant 👍. Out of stock everywhere 👎

Where are you looking?

Both the Philips Xtreme and the Osram Nightbreaker are widely available on eBay and on Amazon.

Where are you looking?

Both the Philips Xtreme and the Osram Nightbreaker are widely available on eBay and on Amazon.
Not who you're replying to, but I am trying to figure out which version of the Osram Nightbreaker Silver (that you suggested) for my 2001 SL 500. It's currently halogen (that is what's stock, correct?)

I see H1, H4, H7, H11, etc and I am out of my element here :)

Not who you're replying to, but I am trying to figure out which version of the Osram Nightbreaker Silver (that you suggested) for my 2001 SL 500. It's currently halogen (that is what's stock, correct?)

I see H1, H4, H7, H11, etc and I am out of my element here :)
Your handbook will tell you which type of 'H' bulb your car needs. Most Mercs (if not all) will be using H7 for the headlamps, but again it's worth checking the owners manual to be sure.

If you don't have the owners manual, you can check here:

A quick check I just did suggests that the 2001 CL is indeed using 4 x H7 bulbs, but check again using your car's registration.

If you don't have the owners manual, you can check here:

A quick check I just did suggests that the 2001 CL is indeed using 4 x H7 bulbs, but check again using your car's registration.
In the owners manual it says I need a halogen type 9004 for high and low beam. Im not sure I need four though -- when I checked and replaced it with LED bulbs I only saw one bulb per side.

What is halogen type 9004?

Tyoe 9004 is also known as HB1.

Google for:

Philips 9004 X-tremeVision

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom