Led spot lights in the the roof of my vito

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying start

Car
Vito
Hi all I'm in the proses or insulating and carpet lining the rear of my van
I'm looking to fit 4 led spot lights for more light
As I'll be using it to camp in
So can I just wire them in to the light that's in the rear of the van that comes on when you open one of the doors? Or will the led lights flatten the battery?

Or should I go down the leisure battery route kind regards lee.

You'll probably be OK with that if you choose your LED lights carefully. There are loads of cheap LED lights on ebay etc. but they don't last long as they tend to have cheap electronics in them which fail quickly. Try something likes this, available from Wilko, Sainsbury, etc.:

Philips LED Spotlight Bulb Warm White GU5.3 MR16 12V 5W/353lu

4 good LED spotlights on together will add up to around 20W of power drain. That equates to 1.67 amps of current on a 12V battery system. I would guess that a Vito battery will have a nominal capacity of something like 100Ah. You can't use anything like the full capacity without shortening your battery life dramatically but with your lights on for 6 hours per night would only take 10% of the nominal battery capacity which will be fine.

So I'd say no need for a leisure battery. Do take care with the electrics though and make sure the supply is fused (e.g. with a 3A automotive style mini-blade fuse).

Thanks mate really appreciate your help

I've got some lights in mind as the local van conversions lad in Carlisle sells the led lights to the public the ones he has you can touch the light and they'll come on,or theyll come on with the door opening the switch off after a couple mins.

I'm going to get the technician at work to wire the lights in for me so I'll be ok just finding the wire to the rear interior light and tapping into that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom