Left-foot braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Draaaaggging this back up, in all seriousness.
This is a new Mazda cx-5(LHD lol)
my left foot is a far left as possible resting on the footrest,
My right foot is as far right as possible resting on the accelerator.
Im sat comfortably.
is this pedal layout really designed for left foot braking?
It is a big brake pedal but its a proper stretch away from the footrest....you could probably get another pedal in there!

I did try to put my left foot on the brake but it made my knees catch the steering wheel.

So Is this a safe car to left foot brake in?
View attachment 102982
Exactly - that gap would be where the clutch pedal would go if you'd ordered a manual gearbox.

Maybe I'm just seeing what I believe but these photos reinforce to me that there's less movement involved in moving the right foot than there is moving the left foot. Pivoting the foot on the heel - whether using the left or right foot - is the key to precise short movements, and covering the brake in anticipation of a hazard is the same whether the toe in question is on the foot rest or the accelerator pedal.

I thought they were quite dainty :)
Whenever I see people driving with boots etc it remonds me of the time I did a "high performance" driver training course. The paperwork said to wear light soled shoes. I wore boat/deck shoes. They are genuine "Sperrys" with quite a thin soft rubber sole. Instructor bollocked me - "you cannot feel a thing with those shoes" 😉 o_O . Luckily I'd brought along an old pair of driving shoes which I had in the boot.

Maybe I'm just seeing what I believe but these photos reinforce to me that there's less movement involved in moving the right foot than there is moving the left foot. Pivoting the foot on the heel - whether using the left or right foot - is the key to precise short movements, and covering the brake in anticipation of a hazard is the same whether the toe in question is on the foot rest or the accelerator pedal.
Also is there a chance the driver might, when raising his left foot/leg, apply a downward pressure on his right leg/foot to aide the movement? Thereby applying unwanted pressure on the accelerator?

Wow - 16 pages debating this. I didnt read them all but while I was scratching my balls reading some of them, it occured to me that I have 2 hands. Should I not then be using both hands to scratch the respective testicle???

It may be 16 pages but not just between 2 people arguing,....additional contributors have also been adding to & consequently bumping the thread.....A bit like your good self & your lovely genital input ;)

As I drive a manual I don't use my left foot to brake but do use my middle leg instead :)

The new MB is the first automatic I have had in about 20 years so at the moment I brake/accel with my right foot. When I lived in the US and everything I drove was automatic I always braked with my left foot. It is the more natural way once you're used to it and I am sure I will get back into the groove

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom