Left-foot braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How do you control your speed during low speed manoeuvring then ?

................. There are times you need a little throttle , such as moving uphill , but also need to control the speed of the car . .........

Find an empty space to practice in .
Heel toe?

Have always left foot braked (over 50 years) in 'autos' and standard practice when racing anything!

If you've been taught(as have countless multimillions of others) to drive by right foot accelerating and braking, why would you go against the odds and left foot brake.
Yes a very small minority of people who race cars for a living or a hobby left foot brake, but that is to gain speed or lap times.
Surely this isn't what is recommended for everyday driving?

If you've been taught(as have countless multimillions of others) to drive by right foot accelerating and braking, why would you go against the odds and left foot brake.
Yes a very small minority of people who race cars for a living or a hobby left foot brake, but that is to gain speed or lap times.
Surely this isn't what is recommended for everyday driving?
If you only , or mainly , drive automatics it very soon becomes second nature ; it is nothing to do with racing , just what is logical and more efficient.

Yes , I learned to drive on a manual and passed my test in one , so used my right foot to brake there , but as soon as I moved to automatics , very soon after , it was left foot from day one . Perhaps because I had only been driving manual a short time , I didn’t have right foot braking ingrained into me , so the transition was painless , and these days I go from one to the other without any thought .

indeed , apart from moving off , I tend not to use the clutch , so sometimes left foot brake in manuals too ( although in some cars the pedals aren’t set up for it , but automatics always have the big brake pedal - designed that way to allow left or right foot brakers to drive them ) .

But why?
Its not how you're taught.
Do you think you are better or have better ideas than 95% of the planet?

I get that you can do it, i don't get why you would want to.
It just seems to me like you do it simply to be different and then try and make out that you are correct and everyone else is wrong.

So do you left foot brake when you drive a manual or are you so much better than the rest of us that you readapt in the first 50yards and don't make a hash of it.....just the fact in all your other posts you drive lots of different cars in your pool.

Try it in your driving test, what would the end result be Pass/Fail?

For anyone who has been on a track be it karts, single seaters etc. it is natural and rewarding.

I for one don't want lots of people out on the road trying this out as it is probably not natural to what they have been taught or are used to.

No requirement on the road, anyone that says it has either drives way too fast or is talking nonsense.

For anyone who has been on a track be it karts, single seaters etc. it is natural and rewarding.

I for one don't want lots of people out on the road trying this out as it is probably not natural to what they have been taught or are used to.

No requirement on the road, anyone that says it has either drives way too fast or is talking nonsense.
Where's the double like button?

But why when you have another foot free ?

Heel/toe is only a technique for rev matching manuals during downshifts

Left foot braking is all well and good but, ergonomically the brake pedal is positioned for the right foot!

I'm never going to do track days or race (manual g-box??) so no real benefit to me.

What's wrong with driving on the road like a racing driver anyway? I'm always using sport+ or manual mode in mine.

Do you mean the guys that think that they are racing drivers and kill people or wrap their cars around trees when they lose control of the car?

Immaterial in the driving test , you pass or fail on your competence , nothing is specified about which foot you use .

While you can only left foot brake on a go-kart , and it has applications in motor sport , the point in road driving is mainly one of convenience .

It can be a useful technique in road driving , by using both feet to bring in a part throttle downshift on the approach to a bend and then transition smoothly off the brakes and onto power ; this is not about speed or racing but more about comfort , balance and car control .

Left foot braking is all well and good but, ergonomically the brake pedal is positioned for the right foot!

I'm never going to do track days or race (manual g-box??) so no real benefit to me.
The large pedal in an automatic car is designed precisely so that it can be used by either foot .

Immaterial in the driving test , you pass or fail on your competence , nothing is specified about which foot you use .

While you can only left foot brake on a go-kart , and it has applications in motor sport , the point in road driving is mainly one of convenience .

It can be a useful technique in road driving , by using both feet to bring in a part throttle downshift on the approach to a bend and then transition smoothly off the brakes and onto power ; this is not about speed or racing but more about comfort , balance and car control .

I'll take your word for it on the Driving Test but as for the rest of it, absolutely no need on the road.

The large pedal in an automatic car is designed precisely so that it can be used by either foot .

Mine is biased to the right foot - quite close to the accelerator. If it was designed to be for both feet, it would be further to the left. I think the larger pedal is because there is more space for a bigger pedal and less chance of missing the brake pedal.........- not to give people the choice of foot.

Isn't the whole point of an automatic laziness and convenience?
Why use two when you can use one?

Stick it in drive, one hand one the wheel, one foot on the pedal(s), and off you pop nice and relaxed....very convenient.
Start dancing around with two feet and you've totally missed the point.

I bet you use the gears manually too dont you, just because you can, you'll come up with some urban myth as to why you need two feet and two hands to drive an auto properly.

Why not just use the left foot, totally forget the right one? Accelerate with it then whip across to brake?
Its totally plausible in an auto....stupid....but hey ho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom