Left lane hogger caught.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the particular part of the M20 that this originally referred to, I have very often had to move from Lane 1 to Lane 3 to overtake a middle lane hogger, then back to Lane 1 with indicators twice and noticing that the middle lane hogger takes no notice at all and continues in Lane 2!! I welcome the unmakred plod cars on that section, not just for this but for the plebs that pass me at 90-100+ (often UK reg rather than foreign!) no doubt headed for the Channel Tunnel or Dover Port.

Drivers like the one in the op are likely to do this all the time causing a royal PITA when they stay in lanes regardless.

Inconsiderate and makes life difficult for other road users.

Is there a slight error in the thread title?

Indeed... I have no explanation as to why.

But last week we went darn sarf to London, the roads became busier and the driving more aggressive the more sarf we got. And that lot is before dealing with the London traffic where it feels like people will ram you to gain another inch of road ahead of you.

It's a strange thing but it is true. I recently drove up to Sheffield as the other half is reet northern and I do notice it get more and more polite the closer I get if using non-motorways.

Drivers like the one in the op are likely to do this all the time causing a royal PITA when they stay in lanes regardless.

Inconsiderate and makes life difficult for other road users.

Indeed... I have no explanation as to why.

It's a strange thing but it is true. I recently drove up to Sheffield as the other half is reet northern and I do notice it get more and more polite the closer I get if using non-motorways.

I hear lately they're learning to sail their cars over yonder.

On the particular part of the M20 that this originally referred to, I have very often had to move from Lane 1 to Lane 3 to overtake a middle lane hogger, then back to Lane 1 with indicators twice and noticing that the middle lane hogger takes no notice at all and continues in Lane 2!!
That's exactly the scenario where you should just go past on the inside.

Drivers noodling along in the middle lane are a pain. Difficult to know whether they are driving or doing the crossword...

Well every year that passes,means we have more traffic on our roads,most of us will drive on motorways,and we all know that what happened on the M20 is a very rare event,miles of empty road,the driver who was fined for middle lane hogging,was wrong not to use the inside lane,but for most of us chance would be a fine thing,with trucks and slower cars filling the inside lane,and of course we then get to the grey area of just how big a gap between them can you move into and then move out again,without doubt it can turn into a dangerous manoeuvre,when you want to leave the inside lane traffic in the middle is passing you,they are naughty because they are doing more than 70mph,but hey you gave yourself this problem ,and it gets worse,because you now have to slow down or ram the truck in front,and it just got a whole lot harder to exit the inside lane safely,in light traffic all this can be done ,on our crowded motorways most drivers will make certain they can use the inside lane and get out again before doing so,and that just like a empty M20 is a rare event.

I have very often had to move from Lane 1 to Lane 3 to overtake a middle lane hogger, then back to Lane 1 with indicators twice and noticing that the middle lane hogger takes no notice at all and continues in Lane 2!!

You know you can legally carry on your way in lane 1, you don’t have to switch to lane 3 and then back to lane 1 just to overtake a vehicle in lane 2. Just breeze past as you are

However sometimes, the lane 1 > 3 and back again sometimes (sometimes!) is enough of a gesture for lane 2 moron to realise what they’re doing is wrong making them move to lane 1. But that is a rarity

You know you can legally carry on your way in lane 1, you don’t have to switch to lane 3 and then back to lane 1 just to overtake a vehicle in lane 2. Just breeze past as you are

However sometimes, the lane 1 > 3 and back again sometimes (sometimes!) is enough of a gesture for lane 2 moron to realise what they’re doing is wrong making them move to lane 1. But that is a rarity
I thought that only applied if traffic in lane 2 was travelling below 70 mph ? technically speaking we should all be going no more than 70 mph :rolleyes:. I have passed these lane hoggers on the inside lane before now but I am ultra cautious when doing so late at night in case they are drunk/stoned .

“The driver refused to accept that this was Careless Driving.'”

I think this is the key issue and reason for the police responding how they did. I’m sure a more humble response would have resulted in a quick and painless end to the conversation.

I'd bet on the police puling him over for not moving, planned on patronising him and received a non compliant response.
Charging him remains the only way to keep face.

Exactly. Always agree with them!

Better still, use your rear view mirrors and respond accordingly...

ON MOTORWAYS
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

OFFENCE
Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.

Meanwhile, there's a bunch of hoodlums on mopeds holding people up with 12 inch carving knives and getting away with it.

Meanwhile, there's a bunch of hoodlums on mopeds holding people up with 12 inch carving knives and getting away with it.
Strange comparison and your point being ?

I thought that only applied if traffic in lane 2 was travelling below 70 mph ? technically speaking we should all be going no more than 70 mph :rolleyes:. I have passed these lane hoggers on the inside lane before now but I am ultra cautious when doing so late at night in case they are drunk/stoned .

ON MOTORWAYS
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

OFFENCE
Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.

Indeed. 90% of the time I’m behind the wheel of a van limited to 69mph. I lose count how many times I will just stroll along in lane 1, if I’m doing barely 70 with my foot down and can go past them in lane 1, then I’m not breaking the law

Besides, if you’re travelling faster than said moron you will pass them regardless

Why do you stop at red lights at 3am in the morning when there is no traffic on the road and you can see it’s clearly safe to proceed ?:dk:

I don't.

And not just at 3 a.m. But that's another story...

just read through the whole thread, interesting stuff, thanks due to those that quote Highway Code, for my future reference . I picked up my S212 e220SE estate (old man's car) in Doncaster on Friday , and drove 500 miles back to Cornwall, with an hour eating a roast at a friends house......so through rush hour and into the night and it was staggering how many people are travelling in 2nd & 3rd (of4) lane......and not near junctions, to let people out.
Generally, I tend to give them right indicator, before overtaking and if they don't respond, left indicator-- right indicator once I have safely passed........a nudge.......I don't know, what do other people think? I suppose strictly , we should ignore them and "run our own race" as an athlete might say. Of course , it would be quite good to hear some amusing answers....?

I must admit that it is really a pain when someone just sits in the middle lane on a motorway for no reason, but even more annoying is on a dual carriageway when one lorry doing 0.1 mph faster than another lorry decides to overtake... and takes five minutes to do so at half the speed limit :mad:

just read through the whole thread, interesting stuff, thanks due to those that quote Highway Code, for my future reference . I picked up my S212 e220SE estate (old man's car) in Doncaster on Friday , and drove 500 miles back to Cornwall, with an hour eating a roast at a friends house......so through rush hour and into the night and it was staggering how many people are travelling in 2nd & 3rd (of4) lane......and not near junctions, to let people out.
Generally, I tend to give them right indicator, before overtaking and if they don't respond, left indicator-- right indicator once I have safely passed........a nudge.......I don't know, what do other people think? I suppose strictly , we should ignore them and "run our own race" as an athlete might say. Of course , it would be quite good to hear some amusing answers....?

i think this thread might have run it's course but to end on a lighter note when all else fails you could always try the PIT manoeuvre. :eek:

If I came up behind some guy in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway in the middle of the night (doing below the speed limit otherwise the copper would have done him for speeding) I would simply pass him at speed.

Why would anyone do anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom