Left lane hogger caught.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In saying this I reckon you’re setting yourself apart from 90% or more of drivers who are doing no thinking whilst joining the carriageway...
That's me that is.

In hundreds of thousands of motorway miles I've barely had to think about performing such mundane manoeuvres.

I bet you do.
Indeed I do, in accordance with Rule 110 of the Highway Code: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there.”. That’s exactly what I’m doing in those situations. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's me that is.

In hundreds of thousands of motorway miles I've barely had to think about performing such mundane manoeuvres.
Yup, that comes across very well in lots of your posts. You don’t think!

Indeed I do, in accordance with Rule 110 of the Highway Code: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there.”. That’s exactly what I’m doing in those situations. Nothing more, nothing less.

We've only got your word for that, you claimed to undertake on motorways earlier with main beam on and horn blaring, that sounds rather something more to the rest of us.

If you are struggling with motorway driving it might be time to consider staying local in a run down to hanging up the car keys for good?

We've only got your word for that, you claimed to undertake on motorways earlier with main beam on and horn blaring, that sounds rather something more to the rest of us.

If you are struggling with motorway driving it might be time to consider staying local in a run down to hanging up the car keys for good?
I appreciate that you’ve already told us that you don’t think when you’re driving because the whole process is far too mundane for you. I therefore have no hesitation in making the reasonable assumption that you also consider the Highway Code to be far too mundane a publication to read. Had you done so you would have known that it clearly states that the horn is only to be used to warn other road users of your presence. That is exactly what I said that I do. Again, no more and no less. My only struggle on motorways is that I’m aware that there are very many motorists sharing the road with me who have the same disregard as you demonstrate for the need to concentrate on their driving; giving every manoeuvre observation, thought, consideration and planning. I expect as little intelligence from them as I do from you.

My only fault was to be so naive as to believe that you had matured since your incessant trolling of a year or so ago. I even liked a couple of your recent posts and was pleased to think (not that you know what thinking is) that you’d at last learnt the error of your ways. Oh dear. How wrong I was. You probably think (there I go again expecting you to know what that means) that you’re funny or even clever. Well you’re not. In response to your suggestion to me, perhaps it’s time for you to consider asking your mummy to take the stabilisers off your bike so that you can go and play with the secondary school boys.

Simple,I'm on cruise, usually at 58.
Someone overtakes, I'm still at 58. I don't get caught in their wake and accelerate to match their speed, as so often happens when I overtake someone.
But the sods often over take me, pull back into lane 1 and decelerate. Then I've to either slow down, and if cars are coming up on lane 2 I've no choice, or overtake, for them to get caught in my wake.
Better if they had / or could use cruise control then the cat and mouse wouldn't start.

Last edited:
Simple,I'm on cruise, usually at 58.
Some one overtakes, I'm still at 58. I don't get caught in their wake and accelerate to match their speed, as so often happens when I overtake someone.
But the sods often over take me, pull back into lane 1 and decelerate. Then I've to either slow down, and if cars are coming up on lane 2 I've no choice, or overtake, for them to get caught in my wake.
Better if they had / or could use cruise control then the cat and mouse wouldn't start.

Are you a lorry driver?

I appreciate that you’ve already told us that you don’t think when you’re driving because the whole process is far too mundane for you. I therefore have no hesitation in making the reasonable assumption that you also consider the Highway Code to be far too mundane a publication to read. Had you done so you would have known that it clearly states that the horn is only to be used to warn other road users of your presence. That is exactly what I said that I do. Again, no more and no less. My only struggle on motorways is that I’m aware that there are very many motorists sharing the road with me who have the same disregard as you demonstrate for the need to concentrate on their driving; giving every manoeuvre observation, thought, consideration and planning. I expect as little intelligence from them as I do from you.

My only fault was to be so naive as to believe that you had matured since your incessant trolling of a year or so ago. I even liked a couple of your recent posts and was pleased to think (not that you know what thinking is) that you’d at last learnt the error of your ways. Oh dear. How wrong I was. You probably think (there I go again expecting you to know what that means) that you’re funny or even clever. Well you’re not. In response to your suggestion to me, perhaps it’s time for you to consider asking your mummy to take the stabilisers off your bike so that you can go and play with the secondary school boys.

Why so personal?

Are you a lorry driver?

Would that make a difference?

It seems this lot is building to be a discussion with insults,
I reckon I'll leave this thread to it, wherever it's going.

Last edited:
Would that make a difference?

It seems this lot is building to be a discussion with insults,
I reckon I'll leave this thread to it wherever it's going.
Lorries are restricted to those sort of speeds but cars have the ability to keep up with the traffic, I was curious about why you would have to drive so slow and be sensitive to diverting from your chosen speed when all around are prepared to adjust theirs as conditions demand.

Apologies if I have insulted you, none was meant to you or anyone else.

Lorries are restricted to those sort of speeds but cars have the ability to keep up with the traffic, I was curious about why you would have to drive so slow and be sensitive to diverting from your chosen speed when all around are prepared to adjust theirs as conditions demand.

Apologies if I have insulted you, none was meant to you or anyone else.

I don't feel insulted by you, I just see that there seems to be some taking offence tonight. The politics thread is for PC scrapping methinks.

Nope just the Vito. Driving at a speed a little more than wagons means I'm not tripping them up but still getting good economy, an actual 42 on a good run.
Faster means I tire more and it costs more, and generally don't save much time. I watch all the brake lights in the outer lanes and think it's just hard work and added stress for nowt.

When our roads weren't so congested I used to cruise at such that I wouldn't lose my licence if copped.

I've no wish to preach to others that they should slow down cos' dodderers frustrate me as well. This cr*p of leaving earlier and allowing more time would be relevant if we knew what and how many hold ups there were and how long they would delay us.
I just want an easier life on the road these days.
For those that want 0-60 at warp, enjoy, I used to, and I'm not paying for it. I would prefer them not to try and bully me though cos' I've still got them horns that seem to grow when my ears start steaming.

Most people do not seem to realise that traffic merging from a slip road need to give way to cars already on the motorway / dual carriageway. Most people feel that traffic on the motorway or dual carriageway has to give way for cars joining. I try to move to the middle lane if traffic is joining, but only out of courtesy.

I appreciate that. But the reality is that it's more dangerous for everyone if a driver has to merge into a motorway from a full stop vs a rolling start. Especially in Europe where most cars have itty bitty engines that take forever to get to 70mph.

Especially in Europe where most cars have itty bitty engines that take forever to get to 70mph.

You mean the exact same European cars that are sold in the US? :doh:

I think we have established that a percentage of drivers don't join motorways correctly by not understanding that it's their job to adjust their speed and slot in. I'm with m80 and will not readily reinforce their bad driving habit by adjusting my speed except as a last resort which sometimes ends up as a game of chicken and usually gets them annoyed. How did we get to this situation. It's crystal clear in the Highway code. Perhaps some know they are in the wrong and are just bullies but some do seem oblivious. A simple sign on the slip road that repeats the Highway code might shame the bullies and inform the oblivious ones.

Joining the motorway.
  • give priority to traffic already on the motorway.
  • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane.

That are broadly similar to the ones that are.

It's surprisingly recently that America has realised that you can make an engine produce decent specific output. Every little helps when your vehicle is the same size and weight as a supertanker. I guess it's easy to be complacent when fuel is cheap and 30mpg (imperial) is considered pretty good.

Last edited:
That are broadly similar to the ones that are

I'm not sure what you mean by broadly similar but European or Japanese cars that are sold here are rarely sold with anything smaller than a 1.6 or 2.0 engine. Anything smaller is a very rare occurrence and rightfully so. French, East European and Italian cars (for the most part) don't exist and probably for the best.

Which unless you're dealing with superminis (which are too small for Americans in many ways), is exactly the same as here.

On my last stateside trip I had Chevy Impala and Ford Focus as hire cars. The former is the same GM world platform as the Insignia, and with pretty much the same performance despite having a bigger engine. The Focus was practically identical to the UK cars.

Those 1.6s and 2.0s will invariably be naturally aspirated rather than turbocharged, which makes a significant difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom