Left lane hogger caught.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Reading comments here and on other social media tells me that those who avoid the inside lane unnecessarily are always either old, foreign or ignorant. I wouldn’t know because I never look at the errant drivers, instead choosing to concentrate even more on the road whilst they’re around. I can but cite the case of a good friend of mine who I was with when he turned right at a roundabout onto a deserted dual carriageway and went straight to the outside lane. We weren’t even going to turn right at the end of the dual carriageway. I asked him why he was driving in the outside lane and he said that he didn’t know. He’s an Englishman in his mid-thirties and a director of a large multinational company, so none of the aforementioned conditions apply. I suspect that he’s just typical in not thinking.

Most motorists will probably just accept the FPN and take the points. To challenge it (assuming motorway was empty at the time) one must plead Not Guilty on the form and have their day in court.

Most motorists will probably just accept the FPN and take the points. To challenge it (assuming motorway was empty at the time) one must plead Not Guilty on the form and have their day in court.

Risky.

Lovely idea, but who's going to do that?

While I'm not normally a fan of camera enforcement I think this problem lends itself ideally to camera enforcement. No need to waste traffic plods valuable & stretched time on this when a camera operator/viewer could issue 10 tickets an hour.

Which is the complete opposite to my experience, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

What is the length (in time) of your experience you base your judgement on?

the failure - for decades - to teach new drivers the rules and regulations

For years I've advocted retesting every 5 -7 years.
An opportunity for improved education.
A reason for drivers to swot up on new regulation & road styles.
An opportunity to remove the not yet competant and possibly dangerous drivers.
Less accidents, less hold ups, easier to use our roads.

For years I've advocted retesting every 5 -7 years.
An opportunity for improved education.
A reason for drivers to swot up on new regulation & road styles.
An opportunity to remove the not yet competant and possibly dangerous drivers.
Less accidents, less hold ups, easier to use our roads.
I tend to agree with you, but doubt it will ever happen. Why? Because I get the impression that the majority of drivers believe themselves to be entirely competent and so not in need of retesting, while others will just regard it as yet another money-making scheme by the government. With just a small minority of us in favour, it would be political suicide for any government to introduce it - so they won’t.

Reading comments here and on other social media tells me that those who avoid the inside lane unnecessarily are always either old, foreign or ignorant.

Last trip I made from the UK to S.France, I waited till evening to miss all the heavy traffic during the day, yet still came across almost empty m/ways with cars sitting in the middle lane with no intention of moving over or even overtaking anyone. When we crossed into France, I noticed a few cars doing the same heading south in the middle lane.
What struck me as odd though, was every car I saw hogging the middle lane, even in France, had UK plates and a woman driving.

are you technically undertaking, or are you just moving faster in that lane?
Last trip I made from the UK to S.France, I waited till evening to miss all the heavy traffic during the day, yet still came across almost empty m/ways with cars sitting in the middle lane with no intention of moving over or even overtaking anyone. When we crossed into France, I noticed a few cars doing the same heading south in the middle lane.
What struck me as odd though, was every car I saw hogging the middle lane, even in France, had UK plates and a woman driving.
I’ve also observed that French and German drivers are much better at lane discipline, not sure why.

I’ve also observed that French and German drivers are much better at lane discipline, not sure why.
I flashed a French driver on the autoroute as he was hogging the centre lane, he went mental when I passed him, called me a **** but I'm used to that from here.

Officer - "Do you realise that you've been driving in the centre lane of an otherwise empty road for the last 3 miles"

Driver - "I have no recollection of that"

No case to answer. Not in the public interest. Simples.

Officer - "Do you realise that you've been driving in the centre lane of an otherwise empty road for the last 3 miles"

Driver - "I have no recollection of that"

No case to answer. Not in the public interest. Simples.

Unfortunately its not that simple as the officer will have video footage. Fine if the motorway was empty but it only takes one car to pass the middle lane hogger and he's done for!

Unfortunately its not that simple as the officer will have video footage. Fine if the motorway was empty but it only takes one car to pass the middle lane hogger and he's done for!

Maybe - though in the case cited by the OP it sounds like simply failing to move over for the police car (for 3 miles!) was sufficient to be served a ticket for driving with due care and attention.

Keep left unless overtaking or turning right.

How hard is that?

Maybe - though in the case cited by the OP it sounds like simply failing to move over for the police car (for 3 miles!) was sufficient to be served a ticket for driving with due care and attention.

Should have contested it. Case law has been set.

That said, I don't see why it's a problem for someone to sit on the middle lane on an empty road. Cars merge from the right (in this country) which means that you're giving them a clear path to enter. If they're not an obstruction to other road users, what's the problem? Maybe the police need to find something better to do.

Most people do not seem to realise that traffic merging from a slip road need to give way to cars already on the motorway / dual carriageway. Most people feel that traffic on the motorway or dual carriageway has to give way for cars joining. I try to move to the middle lane if traffic is joining, but only out of courtesy.

I try to move to the middle lane if traffic is joining, but only out of courtesy.

Agreed,
I'll only move to allow them to join if there is ample time to consider the safety of the move and then if the middle lane is free enough for me to move into.
Otherwise it's safer for me to keep my speed constant and for them to make any adjustment to merge.
I still have responsibility to avoid a collision with the arogant bullies though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom