Left turns at red lights proposed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin

Car
C200K Avantgarde, MINI One & Classic Mini
"Motorists could be permitted to turn left at red traffic lights under proposals drawn up by the Conservatives to cut Britain's traffic congestion. They would be able to cross a red light and turn left if the road is clear. The idea is based on practice in some States in the US where drivers are allowed to turn right at red signals."
Do you think this is a good idea.........it seems to work in the USA?

They do this in France too. A flashing amber means proceed if your way is clear.

I think it is a good idea being often sat at lights wanting to go left but can't.

what, you mean you stop at red lights?:devil:

We used to have garages on rounder bouts where you could drive through, but they have all gone. Many traffic lights have cameras to catch you going through on amber, not sure though if you can still drive on the pavement, without then taking a picture

I think it's a great idea, works well where I've seen it in use in the States. The only thing is that it will need some education for pedestrians as well as drivers...

works fine in canada. you have to stop first check its clear (waiting for 15-20 seconds I believe) then proceeed - but always givng way to pedestrians.

I thought that this was the highway code definition..

Green = proceed

Amber = accelerate

Red = accelerate paying particular attention to steering

Cheers,

Gaz

I've just got back from a trip to California where it is allowed. The whole driving experience over there though is very different. I was in the Napa Valley and the main Interstate Highway is a single-carriageway road. The speed limits are treated as limits, not compulsory speeds. They are very relaxed and the system works well. Indeed, at traffic lights the single lane usually expands to three: left lane to turn left, middle lane for stright on and the right lane MUST turn right. Even when there is no separate right-turn lane traffic keeps as far left as possible to allow the right turn.

Another common procedure is at T-junctions (3-ways) and crossroads (4-ways) is you all stop and then depart in the order you arrived. Sound complicated but in reality it is easy and keeps traffic moving at busy times. Suprisingly, I didn't see one person try to beat the system.

Suprisingly, I didn't see one person try to beat the system.

They were scared of being shot............... mind you from what I hear on the news -- its getting like that over here too:mad:

They were scared of being shot............... mind you from what I hear on the news -- its getting like that over here too:mad:
Just heard the news tonight. 11 year old boy shot dead in a pub car park. I feel like giving up on humanity.

In St. Helena crime is virtually non-existant. People don't lock their houses when they go out, and I never locked my car or even put the roof up (Sebring convertible) when I left it parked anywhere.

Good idea I think.

That amber light thing caught me out in France at first. But a prompting toot from a French motorist behind made me aware I could infact proceed.

Does the USA & Canada allow this instead of installing a Green Arrow traffic light ?
I think a Green Arrow light is better because you are being told you can go and it removes any guesswork.

Does the USA & Canada allow this instead of installing a Green Arrow traffic light ?
I think a Green Arrow light is better because you are being told you can go and it removes any guesswork.

If you have a green LH filter light - this means the traffic (coming from the right) must be stopped at a red. The whole point of the 'right turn on red' in the US & Canada is that both streams of traffic are free to proceed when clear as is the case at a 'give-way' T-junction. It works in the US - bring it on!

By the way - at certain junctions in the US (where traffic is particularly fast or there is a restricted view) signs are posted to specifically instruct NO right turn on red.

Its a good idea, I hope its passed into law.

Now for higher motorway speed limits, better driving tests, and more traffic police on our roads.

Nice idea...

I think this is a good idea in principle, but it relies on all road users being alert and competent (which, I think, is where it begins to go wrong...).

You are alert, approaching a traffic-light controlled cross roads at 30mph in a 40mph limit intending to go straight ahead.

Then someone pulls out into your path, turning left through their red signal.

Nice to know you were in the right, but you are still in a mess...

Looking at the number of injuries involving emergency vehicles in this country, treating red lights as "Give Way" (as they are entitled to) and then colliding with innocent motorists, I fear the situation would be much, much, worse if less alert drivers are allowed to do it?
And the emergency vehicle driver stands a good chance of getting prosecuted for driving without due care (for other road users) too.

I suggest that one of the reasons we have often the lowest fatality rate in the world is because we reduce the risks motorists are allowed to take (there will always be someone who knows better and so takes that risk, but Darwin takes care of them sooner or later...).

It *might* cut congestion in a few places, but no more than widespread use of filter arrows in appropriate places (where it is a single carriageway and the car in front of you is waiting to go straight ahead but you want to turn left, this rule does not help you).

You can be 100% confident that within a few weeks of this being allowed, there would be examples of people being killed or seriously injured - TBH not remotely worth it.

:eek:

If you have a green LH filter light - this means the traffic (coming from the right) must be stopped at a red.

No it doesn't. Not a mile from my house is a green left filter that filters traffic to a give way sign, to give way to traffic from the right that has turned from the same junction but from the opposite direction.

If the conservatives wanted to reduce congestion they could start by removing the stupid traffic lights on roundabouts that work 24/7. Turn them ON at peak hours, but OFF at night when nobody is about. I get very sick of waiting at a red light on a roundabout at 1AM.

No it doesn't. Not a mile from my house is a green left filter that filters traffic to a give way sign, to give way to traffic from the right that has turned from the same junction but from the opposite direction.

That is not a 'traffic light' issue then - the give-way sign is in force at that point.

Does everyone opposed to the 'turn on red' principle approach all give-way junctions with fear and trepidation? Its exactly the same principle.

I spent a lot of time in Texas and it is expected that you make a RIGHT turn at a red light, providing it is clear to do so. If you don't, everyone behind you hits their horn !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom