Legal advice.

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by John, Nov 5, 2018.

1. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    So a van driver managed to reverse into my house.

Damage looks superficial (probably struck at less than 10mph).

Struck on the corner but the rear of the van was parallel with one wall of said corner so struck flat rather than at an angle onto the corner.

My thoughts as this stage are structural engineer survey, obviously repairs to the damage and compensation for the hassle.

I am considering involving the legal cover with my house insurance but just wondering what other people would do in the same boat, or have done in the same boat!

2. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK & E class
    Ouch sorry to hear this John. Glad no one was hurt though & the damage seems superficial.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer the legal question. I hope it’s sorted without too much hassle.

Abs

John likes this.
  3. LTD

LTD MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    Just lodge a claim on your building insurance.

Pontoneer and John like this.
  4. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ( )
    Sorry to hear this John. Definitely get a structural survey. My neighbour’s mother drove her Polo into the porch, but all walls remained standing and you had to really look to spot the damage.

However the side wall of the porch pushed back rigidly without buckling, and in turn pushed the front face of the main house backwards, which in turn buckled the perpendicular interior wall, so much so that doors in that interior wall could not be opened (if closed) or closed (if open), and even lifted the oak floor.

The net result was a whole new porch, whole new bay, large section of the front face rebuilt, interior wall rebuilt, new interior doors, and the oak floor had to be relayed in a very large portion of the house as the damaged pieces could not be matched. I think the staircase had to be repaired too.

They lived in a hotel for four months as the house wasn’t safe to live in. But on the outside, and to the casual observer, it looked like the porch wall had been cracked. Fortunately the neighbour is a structural engineer. And even more fortunately it was covered by the insurance.

John, Smart320, Darrell and 1 other person like this.