Legal expenses Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
Insurance renewal time again....:(

This brings me to an issue that has confused me for years. Every car insurance policy i've ever had offers legal protection as an optional extra, usually around £30 for the year. But what is this for, and is it really necessary:

1. We have three vehicles in our household: should we buy separate cover on each policy?
  2. Does Household legal insurance (bought with house insurance policy) cover legal issues related to Motoring?
  3. Are there any alternatives, eg Free motor legal for total motoring protection - Has anybody used this?
It seems so complicated and difficult to get a clear answer to my questions about the cover from insurers, that I usually swing from:

• I can't be bothered buying this (no perceived benefit)
to

• Well it's only £30 (but £90 for all three vehices!), I'll buy it any way.

Any alternative views, or clear explanations of benefit welcome. :confused:

...and person accident cover....

Oh yes, and there's also personal accident cover. Is it necessary to buy a separate policy with the insurance for each vehicle, or is one policy with the house insurance sufficient....:confused::confused:

Last edited:
I always paid for legal cover until the last renewal.

Long story short, got hit by uninsured driver, cars a mess (still, 6 months later)
Only option for a quick fix was for us to pay the excess!
I asked why the legal department couldn't claim my excess from other side as down payment, was told thats not their job!
Asked if they could sort out the claim through the necessary means to recover the loss (guess what, that's not their job)

I asked exactly what does this 'legal cover' that I've been paying for actually cover then, and was told its only for if someone tries to sue/claim against me. Well that's what I have insurance for and what I expect them to do for me any way!

Sorry it turned into a bit of a rant, but I have not used the company since and will not bother with Legal again.

It seems everyone is trying to sell you something you may not want, depending on your aversion to risk, such as Gap insurance, ding insurance, Sureguard and legal cover. Presumably more profitable than the main purchase just like PPI when you took out a loan.

My opinion now after that incident is that insurance is just a legal requirement and is of no real use to me. I may as well go for the cheapest option and do the legwork myself should the need arise.

jamesfuller said:
I always paid for legal cover until the last renewal. Long story short, got hit by uninsured driver, cars a mess (still, 6 months later) Only option for a quick fix was for us to pay the excess! I asked why the legal department couldn't claim my excess from other side as down payment, was told thats not their job! Asked if they could sort out the claim through the necessary means to recover the loss (guess what, that's not their job) I asked exactly what does this 'legal cover' that I've been paying for actually cover then, and was told its only for if someone tries to sue/claim against me. Well that's what I have insurance for and what I expect them to do for me any way! Sorry it turned into a bit of a rant, but I have not used the company since and will not bother with Legal again.

That seems unusual to me...legal expenses insurance (LEI) usually provides cover to pursue a claim for uninsured losses arising from a non fault accident...basically any expenses other than the vehicle which is an insured loss under the motor policy.

Reading between the lines in your case the issue was possibly relating to the fact the third party was uninsured. Whilst you may have had a valid claim, the general assumption is any scumbag who can't be bothered to take out compulsory motor insurance is likely to be a "man of straw" and without financial means to pay any judgment debt if pursued through the Courts in other words a Pyrrhic victory.

Wrong on every level as uninsured motorists should be hounded and their lives made miserable.

Oh and LEI cover is exceptional value for money...think about it...say £50 for a policy that provides £100k indemnity, hourly rate on a private retainer is going to be north of £150 an hour. In other words your £50 premium would get you 20 minutes legal advice if instructing privately, how much time do you think goes into pursuing a case? It's more than 20 minutes that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom