Legal number-plates

Is it important for numberplates to be standard and easily readable?

• Yes

Votes: 104 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the laws regarding spacing is going to be relaxed, there was an article on this somewhere, I agree the font should be a set size as theres been serious abuse on this before the 2001 guidelines were introduced.

Theres a White 'new' VW Beetle around here with white wheels, trim and interior... and a white rear plate. been like that for years.

You never know if it's coming or going... :D

Ah, but this isn't necessarily the case. As we know, we all buy monochrome same-as cars (see previous discussion here), so the poor hapless owner has only the manipulation of their number plate to make such an expression of individuality. Well, that and a very sad form of vanity of course.

The more tenuous and tortured the number is manipulated to try and fit the owners 'expression', the more laughable it becomes. You sometimes want to stop these people and just say "you sad, pathetic b@stard".

Still, it would be far less entertaining for the rest of us if the number representation regulations were rigidly enforced. Who would we laugh at then?

Interesting how one man's food is another man's poison, but provokes so much hatred also. We have become so polarized as a society, if we don't like what someone else does, they are sad, pathetic *******s, which is probably the reason discussing politics and football is rightfully banned!

As someone whose life is so inadequate, I have a number of p/plates, none of which are illegal (and some are speculative), so I fit neatly into the poor, hapless and vain group. I have, in the past, dropped the space between numbers and letters, so have veered towards the sad and pathetic, but this infringement doesn't confuse cameras, nor does it solicit a double whammy prosecution when pictured speeding, from personal experience. Had this additional crime been so severe to warrant prosecution, the evidence was there but the prosecution was not forthcoming, which suggests an acceptance, in my view.

I'm totally against the manipulation of fonts etc to make them read something else, but the crime of mis-spacing is rather pedantic, as will be proven when the laws are relaxed. Hopefully, then, I can join a group of interesting people, and be guided as to which other group of people I should be sheepishly laughing at, and look forward to your help in identifying which 'we' you mention I should belong to (actually, I couldn't give a rat's ar5e!)!

Anyway, guilty as charged, but with the above mitigation, and I voted yes in the poll!:D

I wonder why ANPR is unable to read so many non-standard fonts.
I believe the Royal Mail uses automated letter readers to scan post codes. I imagine all but the most illegible are scanned OK, with then the final few sorted by hand.
Then there's all number of HMRC documents filled in by hand but then processed automatically.

I wonder why ANPR is unable to read so many non-standard fonts.
I believe the Royal Mail uses automated letter readers to scan post codes. I imagine all but the most illegible are scanned OK, with then the final few sorted by hand.

Not really true. RM have work centres full of staff that read postcodes and type them in all day.

SPACING... not important, ANPR can sort that out - just big brother reigning down on us.
FONT.. very important

I have, in the past, dropped the space between numbers and letters, so have veered towards the sad and pathetic, but this infringement doesn't confuse cameras, nor does it solicit a double whammy prosecution when pictured speeding, from personal experience. Had this additional crime been so severe to warrant prosecution, the evidence was there but the prosecution was not forthcoming, which suggests an acceptance, in my view.

I'm totally against the manipulation of fonts etc to make them read something else, but the crime of mis-spacing is rather pedantic, as will be proven when the laws are relaxed. Hopefully, then, I can join a group of interesting people, and be guided as to which other group of people I should be sheepishly laughing at, and look forward to your help in identifying which 'we' you mention I should belong to (actually, I couldn't give a rat's ar5e!)!

Anyway, guilty as charged, but with the above mitigation, and I voted yes in the poll!:D
Why do posters think ANPR is the reason for standardised number-plates, there is a far more serious reason.

I thnk what Igurisu was getting at is that since 2001, the display regulations have been drafted more tightly than ever before. Previously, various types of "standard" font were allowed.

Were they, I don't think so.

Older number-plates had letter riveted on and were made up from standard characters and in an approved jig.

There were no alterations of any sort allowed.

While I suspect that the only reason it's ever enforced is to help capture the correct number if it gets caught on camera and raise money, or to help the ANPR system, it should be standardised.
Following an accident, crime etc it is not acceptable for a number to be hard to read if it's in a different format to most, such as in one solid block of letters/numbers, nor obviously for it to have been tampered with to read differently.

In many cases it can be the only thing allowing a vehicle to be identified, so having someone shocked by an accident struggling to make out a silly registration that's hard to read is a bad thing.

While I suspect that the only reason it's ever enforced is to help capture the correct number if it gets caught on camera and raise money, or to help the ANPR system, it should be standardised.
Following an accident, crime etc it is not acceptable for a number to be hard to read if it's in a different format to most, such as in one solid block of letters/numbers, nor obviously for it to have been tampered with to read differently.

In many cases it can be the only thing allowing a vehicle to be identified, so having someone shocked by an accident struggling to make out a silly registration that's hard to read is a bad thing.

I see the fog is lifting...

Not really true. RM have work centres full of staff that read postcodes and type them in all day.

Cleanmail offers an anpr type solution for business users.

Not sure about the need for call centres keying postcodes all day.

Cleanmail offers an anpr type solution for business users.

Not sure about the need for call centres keying postcodes all day.

You need to talk to RM then.

They have MDEC up and down the Country.

Were they, I don't think so.

Older number-plates had letter riveted on and were made up from standard characters and in an approved jig.

There were no alterations of any sort allowed.

What era are you thinking of, Dieselman?

Even when plates had separate character that were riveted on, there were at least three different character styles in use, eg: serif/san serif; rounded/radiused. They were usually particular to the comapny making the plates, although those designed by Hills were probably the most prevalent. By the late Seventies/early Eighties there were five or six different character styles in use by various car dealerships.

It's not just about ANPR, though - the display regulations pre-date those.

It's also important for eye witnesses to be able to report registration numbers reliably.

Because they didn't read post #3? :dk:

I'd hope the human eye could capably read a wide range of fonts clearly.

Even with correct font/spacing etc how many people can correctly recount a 7 digit sequence? I thought that witness statements were notoriously inaccurate, or at least variable.

Last edited:

Even with correct font/spacing etc how many people can correctly recount a 7 digit sequence? I thought eue witness statements were notoriously inaccurate, or at least variable.

There might actually be a valid argument in saying that if a witness remembers a 'black Mercedes with the plate SINGH', it may still help identify the car better than 'a black Mercedes on the 55 plates'....

Even with correct font/spacing etc how many people can correctly recount a 7 digit sequence? I thought that witness statements were notoriously inaccurate, or at least variable.

Best advice would be for a witness to concentrate on reading the plate so that they can jot it down or voice-record it - these days, most people have some kind of mobile device capable of doing this.

If they can only manage to reliably record on thing, it should be the number plate (assuming it's genuine, of course). The colour and make could easily be mistaken, and are of little use on their own.

Having a standard font with standard spacing makes it easier to read plates, and the correct spacing assists in deciphering characters that could be ambiguous. While some non-standard fonts may be easy to read, some are anything but. To ensure legibility, only the standard Charles Wright should be allowed.

There might actually be a valid argument in saying that if a witness remembers a 'black Mercedes with the plate SINGH', it may still help identify the car better than 'a black Mercedes on the 55 plates'....

Assuming that the plate really was "SINGH"...

Assuming that the plate really was "SINGH"...

I meant to say that SINGH is more memorable while still narrowing-down the possible culprit list, e.g. S1 NGH or 51 NGH etc etc... they will not all be black Mercs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom