Legal Protection Insurance - is it worth having?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C63
Insurance renewal is due and I’ve been reading the small print in the Legal Protection add on that everyone wants to offer, usually around £20. I can see how having legal adavice cover to persue an uninsured driver would be very handy if needed, but so far every policy I’ve come across exclude claims against uninsured drivers :wallbash:

Does anyone know of a policy that does provide cover to persue uninsured drivers for loss in the event of an accident?

Has anyone had any success in persuing uninsured drivers in the event of an accident where you were not at fault?

Andy

Insurance renewal is due and I’ve been reading the small print in the Legal Protection add on that everyone wants to offer, usually around £20. I can see how having legal adavice cover to persue an uninsured driver would be very handy if needed, but so far every policy I’ve come across exclude claims against uninsured drivers :wallbash:

Does anyone know of a policy that does provide cover to persue uninsured drivers for loss in the event of an accident?

Has anyone had any success in persuing uninsured drivers in the event of an accident where you were not at fault?

Andy

I would sound a note of caution here after a quick perusal of the terms and conditions
Terms & Conditions | Free Motor Legal
where this caught my eye:-
There must be reasonable prospects of success with your claim at all times (assessed by our appointed solicitors as a 51% or better chance of recovering damages from the other party)
I would offer that uninsured drivers might well fall within that category???

I would sound a note of caution here after a quick perusal of the terms and conditions
Terms & Conditions | Free Motor Legal
where this caught my eye:-
There must be reasonable prospects of success with your claim at all times (assessed by our appointed solicitors as a 51% or better chance of recovering damages from the other party)
I would offer that uninsured drivers might well fall within that category???

The 51% success prospect statement , or similar, appears to be a common condition in all of these legal protection policies, along with no support if the other driver is uninsured. I’m interested to hear if anyone has had any success using such a policy. At the moment they appear to be as much use as a chocolate teapot :mad:

468D3E14-47D0-4AB5-ABB5-8993318DABFE.png

Just checked out the RAC site and Legal Protection cover document and claims against uninsured drivers are excluded. From what I’ve seen so far I’ll not be paying for any Legal Protection cover.

I’m still interested to see if anyone has had a positive outcome from using this cover.

I wouldn't expect legal protection cover to have any success with an uninsured driver as who's paying your losses? The driver is uninsured for a start and legal protection isn't insurance.

Where legal protection does come into use is when handling the legal side of claims that get difficult, such as taking third parties to court over a claim or persuing for further damages.

Is it not meant to also cover your own legal fees if you get sued by another party?

From my days of 3rd Party, uninsured loss recovery was very useful for claiming back damage to my vehicle from the third party.

Not so useful for fully comprehensive insurance but where the payment offered for a write-off, caused by a third party, is under par, the remainder can be pursued from the third party using this kind of backup.

Anything else like your excess which you pay can be reclaimed via this.

It is worth having for what 4 pints of lager down south?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom