leisure battery in vito

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny705

Car
Vito 120
Thinking of running a leisure battery of a Digital relay , then using the 2nd battery to power all my additional stuff .

Thinking I could run my main stereo off it , and inverter , also a load of usb powered hubs running to the dash somewhere to power various things.
I could also use the inverter to power a small charger to top up main battery if needed.

Idea behind it all is that I can never run my main battery down with anything, also I can easily top up leisure battery by removal and charging in the house.

Does anyone think this is a good idea :dk: ?

Why not?
I did it for years, in a day-van that I had. Simple enough with a smart-relay from the main battery.

Make sure you use thick enough cables and store the leisure battery where it can vent safely.

The S Class has a second battery so why not but then it does have a lot of demand. Only trouble is where are you going to put it? Our Viano sockets all round, separate front and rear air conditioning, air suspension etc and makes do with only one but it is the maximum rating. Can't remember what our Vito had but it certainly didn't have any where like the demand of the Viano. Might check first if it would be easier to upgrade.

Its an easy job to add another battery under the drivers seat on the 639 (I think it used to be a factory fit option) just use a Durite smart charge relay, we do this on all our vans so we can run beacons etc at breakdowns & still start the van.

Yup there was a factory option for a second battery under the drivers seat, or alternatively you could have an increased capacity single battery (100 Ah).

Just stick one of these on for the leisure battery
Voltage Sensing Split Charge Relay Kit
Will this voltage sensing split charge relay save me the cost of buying a DC to DC charger for my leisure battery? I have a 2011 dualiner Vito (EUR5) I originally planned to use a standard split charge relay but recently read that won't work due to the smart alternator!

Will this voltage sensing split charge relay save me the cost of buying a DC to DC charger for my leisure battery? I have a 2011 dualiner Vito (EUR5) I originally planned to use a standard split charge relay but recently read that won't work due to the smart alternator!
No this won’t work with a smart alternator, you’ll need a specific charger for that. I believe these people may sort you out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom