Lest We Forget.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

What these young men were put through certainly makes you think...

"They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam"

Lest we forget.

Well posted Lee and a reminder to us all that we owe them so much for the lives we lead today.

Good post, off to attend remembrance service at the war memorial in the village, for some reason this year I'm on my 6th poppy, are they getting flimsier or am I just plain clumsy. Having worked on a project with the RBL this year it has even more meaning to me than usual.

Currently reading Catastrophe: Europe 1914 by Max Hastings. Very hard but good reading.

Leaving the politics and rights and wrongs of it all.... the suffering by all sides makes you think.

.."And through some mooned Valhalla there will pass
Battalions and battalions, scarred from hell;
The unreturning army that was youth;
The legions who have suffered and are dust."

Excerpt from The Troops - Siegfried Sassoon

Thought about my grandfather today, wounded first at Ypres and then at The Somme, and before he was old enough to enlist as well. We have no idea of the horrors they had to endure.

Then twenty years later we had it all over again, it must have still been relatively fresh in the memory of many, so how did that happen. Though looking at subsequent conflicts it seems mankind never learns that conflict doesn't really solve anything.

I have stood at the end of Sunken Lane, Beaumont Hamel, where the film of the detonation of the Hawthorn Ridge was taken on the morning of the first day of the battle of the Somme. Saddest place in the world.

For a number of years I subscribed to Battlefields Magazine, which was not exclusive to WWI but (perhaps not surprisingly) was very heavily weighted towards The Great War.

Sadly around five years ago I received a letter from the publisher saying that due to lack of demand they will not be printing it any more, and a refund for remains of the subscription for that year.

Lack of demand... how can we make sure that future generation do not forget?

For a number of years I subscribed to Battlefields Magazine, which was not exclusive to WWI but (perhaps not surprisingly) was very heavily weighted towards The Great War.

Sadly around five years ago I received a letter from the publisher saying that due to lack of demand they will not be printing it any more, and a refund for remains of the subscription for that year.

Lack of demand... how can we make sure that future generation do not forget?

Maybe people were reading via the interweb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom