Lets have some good news stories!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vlad

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various Mercs come and go
There's been a lot of bad news stories on the forum and sadly many of them are valid, but just to be objective about all of this, has anybody got a non rusty W210 E Class which they are delighted with??....it would be good to hear from you.

Having run a 1 year old W210 for 3 years, some years back, I think they are great cars.....comfortable, reliable (not a single warranty claim or breakdown in 3 years and 60,000 miles) and in Diesel form, it was also very cheap to run, especially with the veriable servicing intervals.

Ok to be fair I sold mine before rust was a known issue on some W210's and sadly I have seen quite a few rusty ones down at the auctions.....interestingly it seems to be on certain colours......maybe that's just a coincidence, but silver, smoke silver seem to be worst and I've never seen a rusty W210 in a solid colour, ie white or blue....why?

Anyway, it would be good to hear from W210 owners who have non rusty cars and if you do, what colour are they?

I don't have a 210. However, an old family member has a E240 he bought brand new for 40k in 1998. It has FMBSH, only 22000 miles, of which I have done 4k of that and he has always kept it garaged. I reckon this is probably the only 210 I know of that has no rust.

I've asked him, if he ever decides to sell, than to give me the first option to buy........am still waiting.

Vips said:
I don't have a 210. However, an old family member has a E240 he bought brand new for 40k in 1998. It has FMBSH, only 22000 miles, of which I have done 4k of that and he has always kept it garaged. I reckon this is probably the only 210 I know of that has no rust.
There will be lots of early 210s from 1995-6 that have no rust. Probably the ones with the flip-style key and other pre-facelift W202 features.

The warrannty RUST repairs were prob done before he bought it...;) :D :devil:

Check under the door seals/bonnet seam etc. in addition to the usual spots... :)

Flash said:
The warrannty RUST repairs were prob done before he bought it...;) :D :devil:

Check under the door seals/bonnet seam etc. in addition to the usual spots... :)

He got this brand new. Beleive me, I've checked this inside out, as I usually get the MOT done for him and it is clean as a whistle. The engine bay is spotless of rust and oil. Fully loaded with all electrics, electric seats with ortho lumber adjustments etc....

I'm just patiently waiting, but have a feeling it could be a long wait.

Last edited:
Vips said:
He got this brand new. Beleive me, I've checked this inside out, as I usually get the MOT done for him and it is clean as awhistle. The engine bay is spotless of rust and oil. Fully loaded with all electrice, electric seats with ortho lumber adjustments etc....

I'm just patiently waiting, but have a feeling it could be a long wait.

Try and get a face lift one if you can BUT for the right price this one should be fine VIPS...

Unfortunately, my Dad's W220 (face lift has broken out with RUST too and his not very happy like myself either...). Sprinter has just had a major respray and W203 is going in to bodyshop too...:( :mad:

I Bought My 2002 E200k A Few Months Back And It Had Rust In The Usual Places On The Boot Lid. Dealer Who Sold It To Me Contacted Mercedes And They Done It Straight Away No Problem. Wish I Had Bought Mercs A Long Time Ago. Traded In A 3ltr S Type Jag For The E200 And The Quality Difference Is Immense.

Vlad said:
...Anyway, it would be good to hear from W210 owners who have non rusty cars and if you do, what colour are they?

That'll be me then, tanzanite blue, 2001 W210. No rust that I can see except for one chip on the bonnet.

I have a bmw 320 diesel 2001 model 106,000 miles ..no rust and no problems, I knew the previous owner who had it from new and he also had no probs whatsoever.........sweet as a whistle and very satisfying.....he says...now watch something go wrong !

Couple of good bits of news (seeing as the thread went slightly astray...):

1. Stone caught the screen right bythe A pillar on the driver's side - huge crater, plus the crack grew and grew (good fun to watch). Spoke to Autoglass (via lease company) and spoke with guy at their central call centre for 20 mins as he knew Benz screens could be tricky and he wanted to make sure the right one was ordered. Appt made for Monday.....but he doesn't arrive! Phone branch, apologetic, glass not in, appt for Thursday. Man arrives, checks everything over, changes glass, tests light and rain sensors, uses little hoover to tidy up inside. Meanwhile branch phones to make sure he has arrived, and that I'm happy with everything....

2. Car due in for service last week - usual collection and return thing - and man phones the day before....would I like to borrow an R-class while my car is in? Enjoyed hooning around in that between calls - man phones at end of day to see what I thought - "I know you're not looking to change at the moment, but I know you have kids and thought you'd like to try it and give us some feedback" Let him know what I thought (good performance for size, heavy on the diesel, A/C couldn't cope with heat/amount of glass) and cheekily said I'd be quite happy to give feedback on the SL55 they have in too.....that get's dropped off on Friday! BTW, he's no relation or friend (although he may become one if he carries on like this). He always phones to make sure that I'm happy when the car has been returned from a service, and always books me in for a check over (free) before I go to France, even when the lease company doesn't approve this type of work.

I believe it's always worth to feedback good and bad reports.

BTW - they always wash & hoover the car...and before anyone jumps in, it's with clean water and a chamois (it's better then I would do, and I've seen them do other's cars in this fashion too)

I bet you won't want to give the SL back!:)

Anyway, it would be good to hear from W210 owners who have non rusty cars and if you do, what colour are they?[/QUOTE]

I have a silver w210 - had it for 2 years - done 81000 in that time - now showing 159600 - been superb , no rust - apart from few stone chip spots. did have a few marks on the bonnet - prob caused by bird c**p not being cleaned off. Tried to do it myself - made a right pigs ear of it - but got a friend of a friend to respray entire bonnet , and rear quater ( shopping trolley scratch) for £225 - what a bargain . - And a gr8 job too - car looks as good as new.:bannana: :bannana: :)

Vlad said:
Anyway, it would be good to hear from W210 owners who have non rusty cars and if you do, what colour are they?

Quiet round here isn't it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom