Let's hear it for the Navy's first woman driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercy1

Car
It's a car - just a car!
The Royal Navy has appointed a woman to command a warship for the first time, errr well, I'm sure that's what I read. You could not possibly comment, could you??:)

£1 says she asks for help parking it. ;)

Oh she'll be fine. It just needs good distance approximation and, I mean, guys are so honest when telling ladies about size, right? ;)

as a marine pilot i have balked when faced with the standard of seamanship (or lack thereof) displayed by naval captains.
what they lack in terms of nautical experience and seamanship; they make up for with sheer guts and 'can do attitude'.
Very often i have found myself crammed on the bridge of a warship with 30 others and wondered how they manage to get any navigating done. (a 400 meter long container ship would have 3 people on the bridge; with the same person in conduct of navigation and ship handling... moi)
often at critical times of manoeuvring (entering locks for example) the captain will start barking helm and engine orders to to my utter consternation (on one occasion having admitted to me only 5 minutes prior- that he had no sea going experience and had been on helicopters before this) and i have been left to salvage the situation by giving contrary commands to the tug boats. Frigates/ destroyers though twin screwed- have the 2 screws too close together to affect any torsional forces and must thus rely on tugs for intricate manoeuvres like entering locks and swinging in a basin.
I have sailed with women officers and they have been very good. in recent years i have piloted ships with women officers including captains and they have been very proficient (probably because they have had to work so hard to succeed; in what is still a male dominated work environment).

Yeah congrats to her.

It has taken a while for the Navy to lose its institutional blinkers,
it deserves a plaudit too.

I bet she is well ard!

I agree it is a fantastic achievement - think about it, it has taken more than 400 years to achieve...how could that be??

Has the ship got parktronic :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom