Lets Hear It From The Craving Buster Experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I'm ok at breakfast, I'm ok at lunch, I can manage a sensible evening meal (if I try hard) and I don't drink, however, I get the munchies really badly when at home on the sofa, and as such I'm overweight by some margin (17 1/2 stone, 5ft 11 1/2).

I'd welcome any tips on beating the cravings and what foods might keep them at bay/replace the bad guys as I sit here and type.

I fully understand the balanced diet/exercise logic, but I'm not looking for a lifestyle change.

I'm 40 years vegetarian, so no meaty suggestions please.

I'm also ready for the humour, but would welcome some serious replies amongst the frivolity.

Thanks,

Speed is quite an effective appetite suppressant, I'm told.

I'll take the piss a bit later on, but the two best ways to stop cravings of food are;
1. Exercise; if it's getting late and I am starting to hover near the fridge, I'll go and get on the cross trainer for half an hour. If you're hungry afterwards, it doesn't matter so much if you snack because your metabolism will burn off that chocolate bar a lot quicker after exercise.

2. Drink plenty of water when you 'think' that you're peckish. The mind can't really differentiate between being thirsty and hungry so the default is hunger when it could very well be thirst.

If you are not prepared to do a lifestyle change your onto a loser i'm afraid.

Munchies obviously mean all the 'good tasty stuff' which is bad for you.

Eat more fruit instead of munchies. Bananas are filling and good for you.

Try porridge that will fill you up.

Instead of eating 3 meals a day eat 5 or 6 small meals a day.

If you keep eating munchies make sure you eat healthy at meal times

Try eating munchies on every other day instead of every day.

Try exercise if you still want munchies because you will loose some calories.

In a nutshell there are 100's of different scenarios.

Like I said earlier you need to change your lifestyle to feel the benefit.

Having said all that what do I know. I'm sat here typing away with a budweiser in one hand and a packet of chocolate raisins in the other.

Happy munching.

Speed is quite an effective appetite suppressant, I'm told.
Would that be as in the non-directional component of velocity, or the chemical kind :dk:

Just askin'... :D

What do you do when you 'sit on the sofa' ?

That's the reason you get hungry. Habit and boredom.

Get your fat **** off the sofa and break the routine.

Google 'Insanity workout'.

I've tried doing the workout twice and was starting to hallucinate towards the end...

I like pistachios, they taste great but take bloody ages to get out of the shell and you can easily spend an hour eating a small packet.

What do you do when you 'sit on the sofa' ?

That's the reason you get hungry. Habit and boredom.

Get your fat **** off the sofa and break the routine.

It definitely is boredom eating - crap telly and inane forums.

You need a wee hobby to change your routine.

Just something to break up the boredom.

What interests you ?

As a last resort try 'Babestation'.

You can even stay on the sofa and 'exercise' at the same time. :bannana:

Go brush your teeth.
The combination of the taste of toothpaste and the knowledge that if I do eat something else I'll have to brush them again before bed is normally enough to stop me grazing.

I gave up smoking 11 weeks ago , and fell into the trap of eating sweets/choc/crisps . At almost 60 years of age and 15 st 3.1/2.lbs i realised i could ill afford to put on even more weight. Firstly i cut down on what i usually pack for lunch , and substituted a piece of fruit for the usual biscuits/choc. bar. In the lounge there are always sweets and chocolates in a dish, for the kids when they visit. Finding that i was suddenly eating these sweets on a regular basis , my wife replaced them with a bowl of fruit. Being a lazy bstard i have yet to take up exercise , but have lost 4lbs in 3 weeks , and thankfully not reverted to smoking.Spending hours looking/writing crap on the computer also reduces "eating time". good luck.:rolleyes:

Not buying nice things to put in the fridge is my method.

It does sometimes lead to snacking on a can of beans but they are not very more-ish.

No sugar, no crisps, no honey, no chocolate and lots of swimming.
It is beginning to show results for me.
I always thought being hungry was part of losing weight?
As one stand up comedian said (I forget who)...
If the hole at the top end is bigger than the hole at the bottom end...

finisterre said:

It does sometimes lead to snacking on a can of beans but they are not very more-ish.

As above, if I have a packet of choc biscuits in the house I won't eat just one, I will end up having half a packet washed down with half a pint of milk. I simply don't buy them anymore and bring them home in the first place. Same goes for fizzy drinks and cakes. If you ain't got em - you can't eat em !! Dont shop whilst hungry either or you are more likely to buy and take home more naughties.

I gave up smoking 11 weeks ago , and fell into the trap of eating sweets/choc/crisps . At almost 60 years of age and 15 st 3.1/2.lbs i realised i could ill afford to put on even more weight. Firstly i cut down on what i usually pack for lunch , and substituted a piece of fruit for the usual biscuits/choc. bar. In the lounge there are always sweets and chocolates in a dish, for the kids when they visit. Finding that i was suddenly eating these sweets on a regular basis , my wife replaced them with a bowl of fruit. Being a lazy bstard i have yet to take up exercise , but have lost 4lbs in 3 weeks , and thankfully not reverted to smoking.Spending hours looking/writing crap on the computer also reduces "eating time". good luck.:rolleyes:

There's no doubt that giving up the smoking must be the priority for you.

I gave it up 25 years ago - keep it up, you can do it.

Watch out for the period after the novelty has worn off, when you begin to tell yourself it was ok really and it was your only pleasure - you're at your weakest then.

Good luck to you too :thumb:.

Know where you are comming from as i'm in similar predicament.

I agree with SPX advice above,

when you get the urge to binge, drink a pint of water, then after you've got off the sofa to visit the smallest room, drink another pint.

this should keep your mind off the contents of the fridge/larder, and it's exercise as well.

good luck with your quest, R.

2. Drink plenty of water when you 'think' that you're peckish. The mind can't really differentiate between being thirsty and hungry so the default is hunger when it could very well be thirst.

As above. Your stomach will settle for full of anything - even water.

And when you do, put them in the freezer where they can't be eaten directly from.

Habit breaker - en route to the fridge...grab a jacket and go outside for stroll. Doesn't have to be a walk. Just get away from the fridge and into a different environment. As often as is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom