Lets hope Mercland come up trumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its more the fact you have gone for a car such as that being a single lad with the sorts of roads you have...

Saying that I have a friend in the IOM with a 1.4 Golf ?

ooh and I know you said you do camp trips etc... but I've been their done that in europe for 2 or more weeks at a time and in different '2 seater' convertibles.

I'm sure the new 'Skip' (as developer called it) will be good just not sure how long you will think its good after the honeymoon period?

Its more the fact you have gone for a car such as that being a single lad with the sorts of roads you have...

Saying that I have a friend in the IOM with a 1.4 Golf ?

ooh and I know you said you do camp trips etc... but I've been their done that in europe for 2 or more weeks at a time and in different '2 seater' convertibles.

I'm sure the new 'Skip' (as developer called it) will be good just not sure how long you will think its good after the honeymoon period?

Wasn't me guv - Steve called it the skip himself, honest.

I just questioned why, after an E320 Sport, and being a self confessed fast driver, he would go for a (comparitively speaking) more pedestrian 4 pot - see post #4.

However, the boy knows his own mind and it's his Johnny.

^ sorry thought it was you oops

oh well as you say I'm sure the skip will be a good all round car, single lad round the roads he has though...

I'm thinking it's a knee-jerk reaction after the horendous experience with Shed!

Don't blame him at all....

I'm 100% with you,

I would have sold the shed months if not years ago :)

I was amazed to keep reading the next story with his car going wrong.

Haha Mr I love BMW's they are amazing etc...

Going from a V6 320CDi to a 4-pot diesel is a down grade in my books but hopefully you will be happy with this one.

Good luck!

Yes, but its a fair bit newer in age/miles than when I bought the E320cdi. So its smaller, less powerful, etc but newer/younger. Depends on how you see it.

It won't have the power nor refinement but I am not that bothered really. I'll find it still comfortable, quick enough, easy to drive and this time hopefully painless to own (like my last E220cdi). Cars that give hassle IMHO aren't worth it.

Folks, two seater convertibles do NOTHING for me. I've been in a nasty shunt and have a back issue, when a car rolls over a roof, and a solid structure is what you want most. I like long drives and with a back issue, a sports car is a complete no go as I need to be comfortable in the seats of the car, which is why the 204 made the cut, and the 212 would not as I had signifcant back pain after having a 212 to use for a few days. I tried a Z4 and found getting in and out the car a problem, as was the limited range of seating adjustment. I like to be comfortable so I can concentrate on driving the car :D

I do like a compartively quick car, and its 20mph slower at the top end and 1.5secs down on the 0-60, but its by no means a slow car. Remember, I never bothered chipping my E320cdi and given what I spent on it it wasn't for a lack of willingness to spend money on it, but rather I felt the car was more than adequately endowed with power. I suspect I'll feel the same about my C class. If not, I'll make do with it and sell it for something more powerful.

Last edited:
I get you but when you say 20mph slower that means nothing really it's how it gets there... and I'm sure the 320 will get there allot quicker and you never feel out of power in any situation, (speaking from experience in my previous 320CDi), while in the 220... hmm well will wait and see your feedback I guess...

as I said hopefully you will be happy with this one.

What's more rewarding/enjoyable? Driving a "low" powered car at 80% most of the time. Or a "high" powered car at 50% most of the time?

What's more rewarding/enjoyable? Driving a "low" powered car at 80% most of the time. Or a "high" powered car at 50% most of the time?

I have a low powered car and drive it at 10% most of the time.

Quietness, smoothness, and refinement are their own reward.

I have a high powered car - and I drive it, quite happily, at 10% , 90% of the time... its still awesome to reverse those figures when you get the chance to do so safely....

But as an "everyday" car ... nope - not a sensible proposition imho...

whatever you end up with Steve - you will -I'm sure - drive slowly enough to enjoy your views.... which we in the South cannot ever hope to match without heading North...

whitenemesis said:

Probably The former ;)

I'm not sure I'd call the 220 a slow car. I can honestly say I never felt out of power in my E220. In fact it surprised me on many occasions, giving more acceleration than I expected.

Of course the 320 is faster, but in the real world of driving I do most of the time, the only noticeable difference (to me) is the improved refinement when idling of the 320 and considering how unreliable this 320 has been so far, is no way worth it!!

As I've said before, I'm totally with Steve on this - my CLS replacement (of whatever make) will be back to the proven, reliable 4 pot, petrol or diesel.

I'm looking forward to getting this car. Can't we all just agree its a nice car.

Jays been a delight to deal with and is arranging for rear window tints and rear parking sensors to be fitted. I've not had it better from anywhere arranging a new car.

The cars 1st shake down will be the peak district, a schlep to Lincoln back to York and back to Scotland. I for one cannot wait for this cars new life in Scotland with me.

I'm looking forward to getting this car. Can't we all just agree its a nice car.

Jays been a delight to deal with and is arranging for rear window tints and rear parking sensors to be fitted. I've not had it better from anywhere arranging a new car.

The cars 1st shake down will be the peak district, a schlep to Lincoln back to York and back to Scotland. I for one cannot wait for this cars new life in Scotland with me.[/QUOTE

Lookming forward to hearing the results of your first tour in the new car Steve.

Have a great iime.:thumb:]

Congratulations on the new car.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of it with the tints once you've picked it up and also to reading your review of your trip back to Scotland...

Yes, but its a fair bit newer in age/miles than when I bought the E320cdi. So its smaller, less powerful, etc but newer/younger. Depends on how you see it.

It won't have the power nor refinement but I am not that bothered really. I'll find it still comfortable, quick enough, easy to drive and this time hopefully painless to own (like my last E220cdi). Cars that give hassle IMHO aren't worth it.

Folks, two seater convertibles do NOTHING for me. I've been in a nasty shunt and have a back issue, when a car rolls over a roof, and a solid structure is what you want most. I like long drives and with a back issue, a sports car is a complete no go as I need to be comfortable in the seats of the car, which is why the 204 made the cut, and the 212 would not as I had signifcant back pain after having a 212 to use for a few days. I tried a Z4 and found getting in and out the car a problem, as was the limited range of seating adjustment. I like to be comfortable so I can concentrate on driving the car :D

I do like a compartively quick car, and its 20mph slower at the top end and 1.5secs down on the 0-60, but its by no means a slow car. Remember, I never bothered chipping my E320cdi and given what I spent on it it wasn't for a lack of willingness to spend money on it, but rather I felt the car was more than adequately endowed with power. I suspect I'll feel the same about my C class. If not, I'll make do with it and sell it for something more powerful.
Good luck with the new car Steve,hope it gives you many miles of trouble free motoring!

I'm sure the car will be everything you're looking for. I for one prefer wagons to saloons and the c class is IMHO better looking than the 212. I'd go for one myself but need the extra boot space

Good purchase I'm sure I'll be visiting jay when it comes to changing mine

Its your money Steve, spend it on whatever floats your boat. If it suits the wearer bugger the starer.
I for one look forward to seeing your new car in the backdrop of your splendid photographs.

Have fun Steve, you are a true Mercedes Enthusiast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom