lets scream down the motorway, crash and film it!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flying haggis

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS shooting brake, SWMBO has B class
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and they drive amongst us

I'm not condoning their speeding one iota, but at first glance the collision seems to have been caused by the lorry driver for pulling into faster coming traffic. Not sure if the incident would have been avoided even if they were doing 70?

I'm not condoning their speeding one iota, but at first glance the collision seems to have been caused by the lorry driver for pulling into faster coming traffic. Not sure if the incident would have been avoided even if they were doing 70?

Look how far ahead the lorry was when it was indicating, if they had been doing 70 instead of 118 there wouldnt have been a problem IMO.

I agree, the speeding is idiotic, but merely signaling does not give the lorry driver the right to manouver, bad driving all round

Look how far ahead the lorry was when it was indicating, if they had been doing 70 instead of 118 there wouldnt have been a problem IMO.
Yes I agree he was far ahead, but indicating doesn't give him the right to move over (although a lot of them seem to do it). Looking in the mirror, he should have seen a car approaching at speed. It may have been avoided at 70 but it still would have involved the other driver to hit the brakes, which would still mean he shouldn't have pulled over IMO

Yes I agree he was far ahead, but indicating doesn't give him the right to move over (although a lot of them seem to do it). Looking in the mirror, he should have seen a car approaching at speed. It may have been avoided at 70 but it still would have involved the other driver to hit the brakes, which would still mean he shouldn't have pulled over IMO

He looked into his mirror, saw cars way, way off in the distance and pulled out. 2x Cars doing virtually 50mph over the limit (illegally), then hit his lorry.

Should all drivers look in mirror and try to antcipant all speeds? what about cars doing 80, or 100 over the limit? Where does it stop?

They were braking the law by doing 50 over the limit and caused the crash.

Its like a couple of years ago when that motorbike was doing nearly double the limit, on wrong side of the road, a driver looked ahead and turned and didnt see him after looking and hit the biker, killing him.

Last edited:
I know that stretch of road. No speed cameras and it is a long steady downhill stretch of duel carriageway. Very lucky that no one was killed. If it was a passenger car that had pulled out into the outside lane instead of a truck there would have been lots of fatalities.

Legally, the truck driver did the right thing, indicating and then moving over, I agree. But, especially in a vehicle that cannot pick up speed or go over a certain speed, he would know that any car approaching is coming faster than him. I'm not saying every driver should have to do it (anticipate speeds) but when I want to move into the outer lane, I do double check to see how fast the car is closing in. This is because even though they are wrong in braking the speed limit, it can cause an accident and so I just let them go. If I can pull out and put my foot down to get in ahead, I'll do it.

As I said, I don't condone the pricks driving at those speeds and they are the cause of the accident mainly due to their speed. My only point was that it potentially could have been avoided if the truck driver double checked. One look he would have seen the car (easier at night with his lights on), a second glance before he moved over and he would have known the car was being driven at a stupid speed. HGV drivers must get this scenario a lot and I understand sometimes they have to be a bit aggressive or they will never get a chance to move over and overtake.

The idiots got what they deserved anyway, just glad no one got killed

(easier at night with his lights on), a second glance before he moved over and he would have known the car was being driven at a stupid speed.

I would argue that in the dark (and slightly rainy) its almost impossible to judge speed of blurred headlights approaching in a mirror no?, I suspect that he looked, saw they were half a mile back and moved out thinking it was safe...

Anyone who is travelling at double the speed of another roaduser SHOULD have an avoidance plan. Ask most competent motorcyclists.

Even if the truck driver was a selfish idiot, the car drivers should have been scanning ahead, just in case the HGV may pull out. I count almost 5 seconds from when see HGV indicator and collision - think that 3 seconds elapse before Seat brakes. To cap it all the sliproad signage is way early - some of us may have been thinking (vehicles bunching, slowing, moving, ?) whilst others simply still giving it the beans.

Glad everyone okay - hopefully everyone (inc truck driver) have learnt a valuable lesson.

How about we throw an 'everything happens for a reason' spin on this for a giggle - had the cars not broken the speed limit then they wouldn't have been where they were when the lorry pulled out, the'd have been miles back. But because they were doing something they shouldn't have been doing they were in a place they shouldn't have been and got their just desserts.

Like others I don't condone this sort of lunacy one bit and I wouldn't have shed a tear had any of the eejits not made it. I'm not exactly Mr Speed Limit, but, again as has been said, if I do go faster than the limit allows, and that's generally only on motorways when I consider the conditions permit it, I'm always conscious of having an escape plan if I need one and looking much, much farther ahead.

Although in no way excusing these numpties, a remarkable amount of lorry drivers do just pull across though with only a quick flick of the indicator as they're halfway across.

I'd assume they behave like this because they're rarely "let out" but the amount that do it is noticeable (for the record, I'll happily flash to let a HGV out if the coast is clear)

May have even been a LHD truck making speed judgement of a distant approaching vehicle at night even more difficult.

Sure there's a lot of lorry drivers, idiots and other challenged individuals who pull out but surely if you're going to be speeding you'd at least leave a considerable amount of space between you and whatever is ahead.

This ***** was attempting to undertake and clearly didn't plan ahead - glad he got the book thrown at him.

The lorry driver could have merged when there was less traffic behind him, but how is it his problem if someone is breaking the speed limit with inadequate skill to handle himself at the speed he is travelling?

No compassion what so ever for the car driver.
I'm no Saint on the road like most people, but cruising at a constant of 100mph+ when you can clearly see traffic ahead is outright stupid and selfish. He got what he deserved.

I agree, the speeding is idiotic, but merely signaling does not give the lorry driver the right to manouver, bad driving all round
Closing speed would be difficult to judge at night, and the driver wouldn't be expecting that the pair of white lights in his mirror was actually three pairs of white lights, travelling at twice his speed, and "racing". That would be a difficult thing to work out from a drivers side mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom