Lets talk 124's, man maths and persuading the O/H

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by jamesfuller, Apr 17, 2014.

1. jamesfuller

jamesfuller Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The one that starts!
    I have been facing a bit of an uneasy time/upheaval and have been mulling over a few different options.

I was going to sell the 126 as I don't really have a use for it. But I don't really want too as its really nice to drive and spend time in and to be honest is hardly worth selling at the price I have it advertised for. I just know I will end up regretting it!
    I think I have convinced the other half to let me keep it as a weekend/going out car.

I am selling a few other things (trying anyway) so we cut down the amount of vehicles and the running costs that go with them.

I'm considering an S124 workhorse, it sounds like just what I want. The OCD in me is going mad for it as its the same colour/interior as my 126 and would look great together after some fettling.

How does MPG differ between a 300 and a 230?
    May sound a dumb question but my reasoning is the 230 is always trying hard and revs like mad at motorway speeds. My thinking is the bigger torque engine will be doing less if driven the same and have higher gearing.

Now if I convince the other half a 3.0 will be roughly the same and it turns out to be 20mpg I will be in the dog house!

Oh and she will find out as she will be driving it a lot!!! It wont be like the 'ahem' nearly 30 mpg V8!

I really want to consider it as it looks like I have a buyer for the Audi and the red 124 and the van should sell easily.

Oh and sorry for rambling on a bit, kinda thinking out loud here!

2. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    My old 300E (305k!) returned anything from 16-27mpg, the average was around 24mpg mixed driving from what I recall, which I found acceptable considering. And if I was to buy another W124, I'd still opt for a 300 rather than a 320, but I'd say overall the 320 would be a little better on juice, with the guts of an extra 30bhp too.

The bottom line really is, buy the best you can of either.

3. Palfrem

Palfrem Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
    Do you want a w124?

4. Palfrem

Palfrem Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
    If you do - buy one!

1 person likes this.
  5. carat 3.6

carat 3.6 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    96 e300d, 88 w124 superturbodiesel, 90 bmw E30 v8, + "others"
    +1 for the 300. As said above, the fuel consumption isn't that bad for it's age, and it still has enough gut's for modern traffic. I've always found the 300's cheaper to maintain too.

1 person likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    jamesfuller

Car:
    The one that starts!
    I think the 230 gets around 23 to 26 normal driving and up to about 29 on a long but very steady trip. Sounds like the 3.0 wont be much worse then!

To be honest, I wouldn't have a 320 as I prefer the look of the pre facelift.
    Our old 230 is a very good car and is very solid where it matters and super reliable. Unfortunately it has got very tatty just lately and am considering options before any money gets spent on it!

I wouldn't really look to change but I have been offered this particular car and I really fancy it!

7. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    Problem solved :thumb:

8. OP
    OP
    jamesfuller

Car:
    The one that starts!
    Trust me, I really would like it. Just managed to sell my old trailer so that's a bit more room and cash freed up! Just waiting for a decision from the guy that may buy the Audi and will be even closer to saying yes!:bannana:

9. RKC-benz

RKC-benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S124 E280 Est (Storm Trooper variant), R129 SL320, Hiace campervan
    When it comes to mpg and the cost of petrol for my E280, my car is more economical with the truth than it is with 95 unleaded. Much as it pretends it could do 30mpg for me one day, in reality if you welly it up a fast open hill it burps at the top and the fuel tank feels a gallon lighter.

The point of these motors is to use them - they are built and engineered to be driven and used ... That means feel the torque, feel the 6cyl 24valve low howl, enjoy the surge ... But it means go to the fuel station again.

And listen to your friends above... ^^^ they say buy a big engine.

10. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Club Veteran

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Big engine every time your man maths is correct.

Whichever engine you get it wont do many lamp posts to the gallon compared to euro box thingies. But by god you will do it in some style.

Stop torqueing about it and get it bought and enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  11. RKC-benz

RKC-benz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S124 E280 Est (Storm Trooper variant), R129 SL320, Hiace campervan
    This man is your friend..,

2 people like this.
  12. d w124

d w124 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    w124 3.6AMG styling E320 S124 Lorinser styling
    That particular car returns 25mpg,even though it's running a bit rough