Letter from Jersey to London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I ordered a Compact Flash card from Amazon last week and I have just found out that it is coming from Jersey via 1st class post.

Any idea how long this normally takes? It was posted yesterday.

Thanks

Tan

When I order things off Play.com, also in Jersey, they take around 5-7 days. Should add that our local postal service isn't up to much either.

2 days!!, I must be unlucky then. Its always a minimum of 5 days from the email saying item despatched.

2 days!!, I must be unlucky then. Its always a minimum of 5 days from the email saying item despatched.

But have they been dispatched when you get the email?:confused:
A bit like 'The cheque's in the post':devil:

I always understood that the post comes across on the ferry each night.

1st class mail usually only takes 1 to 2 days depending on how busy Royal Mail are and depending on the weather.... if planes cant fly or a ship cant sail that can delay the post too...... The only service guaranteed is Special Delivery all other products are suggested delivery times.... hope you get it soon

As suggested earlier also depends if Amazon sends it on time....

The parcels are always franked for the day they were allegedly posted, so it must be poor service locally.

Just had a thought that possibly the item is stopped at Customs....i know all mail that leaves and enters the UK via aeroplane is screened..... but again customs would probably not stop an Amazon box...... probably just late but sometimes labels come off etc and this can cause delays....had that a few times in work....

It should be 2 days maximum.

Yep, usually 2 - 3 days for stuff ordered from Play or any other such located companies.

The only reason they post from Jersey is that they become exempt from British tax laws. It's also beneficial for us as it means we get cheaper prices :)

The only reason they post from Jersey is that they become exempt from British tax laws. It's also beneficial for us as it means we get cheaper prices :)

If you send something there though, even a gift, you have to pay 3% customs duty:eek:

Thanks all... it was posted Monday so hopefully it will be here tomorrow. If i knew it was coming normal post I could have had it sent to home then I stood a chance of getting it on Thursday

I get a fair bit from Amazon Jersey...usually arrives in good time...would be surprised if it desn't arrive tomorrow.

I order from 7day shop in Jersey and shipping is only normally 2-3 days
the pricing is excellent, so is the service and anything under £18 is not liable for tax.

7 day shop often send me several packages to avoid the duty :)

Yup I've used 7 Day Shop for years. They routinely split the order into packets containing less than £18 value each (this is covered by the standard p&p).

In the 'old days' they got away with simply not charging VAT on anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom