Letter to dealership - poor service! AND LIES!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splang

MB Enthusiast
Car
W212 E250 Avantgarde
This may give you an indication as to my ownership experience so far with mercedes :

:mad:

Dear Sir,

Re: BLANKED OUT REGISTRATION FOR THIS POST

Shortly after the purchase of my new C class saloon from a DC dealer I discovered that I could have had a personal collection. This is something that would have in principle had interested me. I decided not to as the dealer told me that i would then only get 2 years warranty - not 3 as it 'would then be an european car' - I have complained about this to you before and the dealer has since contacted me. I said that I should like to be offered a collection - whilst the dealer who sold me the car has had 'no recollection of saying that it would have only 2 years warranty' .

The issue remains unresolved - however I have received a letter from DC MB(uk) saying that they are delighted that the situation has been resolved?

I would like to point out that the situation is not resolved to my satisfaction - at all. I have been misled by my dealer and clearly they have now misled yourself. In view of this - could you please supply me with the information which you hold about me and this situation on your computer systems (as per the DPA)?

I would appreciate a response to this in writing at your earliest convenience. This has been going on for some time now - not to mention the fact that I have had to take my car back in 6 times to have rattles dealt with,and also a rear number plate replaced when the letters started rubbing out ( after 4 months)...

The car is now around 6 months old and I still have a remnant of the rattles of the past. I have also had to pau money to have a courtesy car (the insurance as it was a ml270) - this i did agree to pay however.

Given all the problems i have had and all the inconvenience when I last returned the car to the dealer I mentioned what looked to me to be paint peeling off. I was told it was a stone chip (very small area ) - it is disappointing that after all the hassle I have had that they could not rectify that problem for me!

The customer relations section of some dealerships do leave something to be desired.

Yours,

MR S Barnes

Comments? anyone?

Last edited:
I would add the actual dates things have happened making it explicit what happened on what date and what you were led to believe would happen and what did happen. I presume when you say purchase, that's when you ordered the car collecting it some time later. I think you need to explain that very clearly. This may all be information that MBHO should have, but you don't know who might get to see this now so need to spell the whole sequence of events out.

In the quote at the beginning where you refer to "an european car". As that is incorrect in so many ways, ie "a" rather than "an" and "European" rather than "european", and the fact that Mercs are by definition European cars - but it's the location of collection that seems to be the rub here, I'd say who gave that quote and in what method, for example the dealer's letter of..... If it was a letter, I'd include a copy to MBHO.

I would also change the "they have clearly misled you...." to "there now seems to be even further confusion giving you the belief that the matter has been resolved when it has not." You can't be sure it was your dealer that misled HO, it could be HO that have got that bit wrong ;)

I would give them a specific time to respond. "At your earliest convencience" gives you nothing to go on. Ask for a reply within 7 days then if you get nothing, you are justified in going back and complaining even further.

Finally - you need to be clear about what it is that you are looking for. Resolution does not cover it as their idea of what will resolve the issue and yours will be different and it's not clear what you do actually want. You say you would like to be offered collection. I'm not sure how that can happen now you have the car.

hth

splang said:
This may give you an indication as to my ownership experience so far with mercedes :

:mad:

Dear Sir,

Re: BLANKED OUT REGISTRATION FOR THIS POST

Shortly after the purchase of my new C class saloon from a DC dealer I discovered that I could have had a personal collection. This is something that would have in principle had interested me. I decided not to as the dealer told me that i would then only get 2 years warranty - not 3 as it 'would then be an european car' - I have complained about this to you before and the dealer has since contacted me. I said that I should like to be offered a collection - whilst the dealer who sold me the car has had 'no recollection of saying that it would have only 2 years warranty' .

The issue remains unresolved - however I have received a letter from DC MB(uk) saying that they are delighted that the situation has been resolved?

I would like to point out that the situation is not resolved to my satisfaction - at all. I have been misled by my dealer and clearly they have now misled yourself. In view of this - could you please supply me with the information which you hold about me and this situation on your computer systems (as per the DPA)?

I would appreciate a response to this in writing at your earliest convenience. This has been going on for some time now - not to mention the fact that I have had to take my car back in 6 times to have rattles dealt with,and also a rear number plate replaced when the letters started rubbing out ( after 4 months)...

The car is now around 6 months old and I still have a remnant of the rattles of the past. I have also had to pau money to have a courtesy car (the insurance as it was a ml270) - this i did agree to pay however.

Given all the problems i have had and all the inconvenience when I last returned the car to the dealer I mentioned what looked to me to be paint peeling off. I was told it was a stone chip (very small area ) - it is disappointing that after all the hassle I have had that they could not rectify that problem for me!

The customer relations section of some dealerships do leave something to be desired.

Yours,

MR S Barnes

Comments? anyone?

Out of interest is your's the "new generation" C Class? I too have one small rattle well more like a buzz that happens on more grainy tarmac. Goes in on Thurs. Not too bad but I expect a car like this to be completeley noise free :confused:

old style,

Many thanks for your help pammy!

Steve

how in the hell can the dealers get away with it?

i get better service dragging my 300 quid rover to a rover dealer and compared to the service you have recieved the peaugot dealer for my dads new 206 must think the sun shines out of an orrofice

At the risk of making myself unpopular, I would suggest forgetting about the collection thing ( it is water under the bridge which a bit of pre-purchase research would have prevented in the first place) I would recommend dealing with the rattles business though it seems these have mainly been resolved.

If you are going to make statements about what was said, which they can dispute and as you state they have disputed, then you must clearly write WITHOUT PREJUDICE before the main body of the letter, in bold type. This will offer you some protection later if things get litigious.

Good luck.

Sometimes its the little things which hit home hardest, like stating that you have placed your comments and problems on the MBUK Club website seeking to resolve issues like for instance rattles that abound your car and perhaps the service which you feel you did not recieve from your dealership may be in fact normal practice around the country, other members would give you that information, likewise it may prove that this a one off from from an incompetent dealer. Either way it will make them think again.

As in most businesses they are hoping this will die down and go away but if your prove that you are serious in your views and intend to seek some sort of apology (whatever) it may force them (MBUK) to do something about it, which is what we all want to happen. As stated in this weeks Top Gear the dealers are in the limelight, also in my view most MB dealers that I have had dealing with are too smug (for want of a better word) and that annoys me, them first customers second.

gary - gripe of the day

l5foye said:
At the risk of making myself unpopular, I would suggest forgetting about the collection thing ( it is water under the bridge which a bit of pre-purchase research would have prevented in the first place) I would recommend dealing with the rattles business though it seems these have mainly been resolved.

I have to agree with that....

Fair enough,

All comments appreciated - thanks all :)

Will let you know what happens :eek:

Hi Splang,

my personal view is keep things simple, sharp and focused, list your real concerns, how they will address it.

e.g.

Dear [insert MBUK contact]

Re: [insert registration plate no]

Mercedes-Benz of [insert dealer name] stated that Personal Collection cars only attract a 2 year warranty. Based on this inaccurate information, I subsequently purchased my Mercedes-Benz from them. The lost opportunity to personally collect my new Mercedes-Benz deeply saddens me, and their actions remain unanswered. Your letter of [insert date] reports they have clarified the situation, which highlights a serious communication problem.

[insert paragraph on your demands for the above situation.... e.g. take you car back and organise a Personal Collection? MBUK to reprimand the dealer? The MBUK to offer you some goodwill gesture for loss of enjoyment? Demand they supply the data they hold on you as you have mentioned per DPA ]

Mercedes-Benz of [insert dealer name] is also unable to rectify problem areas to a satisfactory standard.
The car which is only 6 months old, and after numerous visits still exhibits
1. Persistent rattles
2. Poor paint finish
[Insert demands for this situation.... e.g. request for special attention (escalate to senior technicians etc), demand some goodwill etc]

The dealer is unappreciative of my concerns, and continually fails to rectify problems.
I trust you can exercise your authority.

Yours sincerely,

or something like that :)

good luck! i ordered some parts once and the dealership ordered the wrong parts and refused to refund, it was only £20 or so, but on principle i wrote to DC, but to no avail, they contacted the dealers , they said the same thing to them as to me that i gave them the wrong part #. wont bother wasting my time again. hope your case goes better!

thanks very much for your help.

uumode that is an excellent template letter - thank you very much.

Steve

how do the dealers get away with this?

if id just spent on a badn new merc (at least 2 years solid wage for me) i would expect nothing but perfection and would be looking at wrapping an exaust around somones neck if i didnt get it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom