Letting-off Steam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spinaltap

Car
A180 Avantgarde (2009) A180 Avantgarde (2012)
I share with you all my complaint to Mercedes....

My wife loves her A-Class, the buying experience and the after-sales service - so it grieves me to complain about Mobilo and Mercedes Insurance.

My wife was involved in a road-traffic accident last Friday evening, when another driver hit her sideways at a dual carriageway intersection. The A-Class did it's job superbly: by automatically switching the fuel off, deploying the side airbag, unlocking the doors, switching the hazard flashers on, and turning-off the ignition.

Although shaken by the incident, my wife walked away without a scratch (unlike the car). I have yet to discover whether or not the damage to the car is terminal.

When I was called to the scene of the accident I called Mobilo for assistance. They arranged for a third-party company to retrieve the car and then take it to a secure compound overnight - from where it was taken to a further third-party Mercedes-nominated repair centre.

This is where my complaint starts....

We left our previous motor insurance agent because we were persuaded that Mercedes Insurance was a cut above the rest - and was thus reflected in their higher insurance premiums. What is more, given my very petite wife's requirements for a like-for-like car, we paid an extra premium to secure another A-Class while our car might be off the road in circumstances such as those that we now find ourselves in.

The designated Mercedes repair agent have yet to formally inspect the damage to our car. The repair agent advised that they would not be able to provide a courtesy car until Tuesday (following the May Day holiday). This would not be an A-Class, nor any other Mercedes for that matter, but would be a Ford KA.

In any event, my wife would be required to use public transport to travel to work and back on Tuesday at the very least.

I then got back in touch with Mercedes Insurance to inform them of my situation, and to remind them of their contractual obligation to provide my wife with a courtesy A-Class. Despite initially refuting my wife's eligibility for such an A-Class they eventually conceded that the evidence of my documentation did entitle my wife to such a courtesy vehicle.

They advised me that they would instruct Enterprise Car Rental to contact me with details of a suitable car. In due course, on not hearing from said car rental company I contacted them - only to be informed that they did not have any cars available whatsoever.

I then contacted Mobilo, as their representative had informed me the evening before that I was entitled to a courtesy car for up to three days. On my first attempt to call, once the initial automated greeting finished, I was cut-off. When I eventually got through to a representative, and explained my situation, they advised me that all they would be able to do for me was to contact the same Enterprise Car Rental company that Mercedes Insurance had unsatisfactorily led me to.

The net result is that Enterprise Car Rental closed at mid-day yesterday (Saturday) for the Bank Holiday period without contacting me further. Consequently, my wife has been left without transport to work until after Tuesday.

For the sake of asking, I did approach my local Mercedes dealership to see if they could help in any way - but as I expected, although they were very understanding and sympathetic, they couldn't (nor did I expect them to).

Overall, this has so far been a pitiful illustration of abysmal customer service by Mercedes Benz in a situation where I desperately needed their assistance. What is more, I expected an agent to take all my worries and concerns away from me, by dealing with the minutia of the situation (I've had vastly superior experience of Ford Insurance in the past). I choose Mercedes Insurance when buying our A-Class last year because I anticipated and expected a service beyond measure, where Mercedes representatives would go beyond the call of duty when it was needed the most.

How wrong I was!!

I know this doesn't help you now, at this stage, but for those very reasons, I used Accident Exchange when my Saab was hit by a truck whilst stationary last year. AE got me an identical car to mine the following morning which I used until my car was delivered back to me by the Saab dealer who repaired it. They arranged everything and the claim didn't even have to go through my insurance as it was a third party blame incident. No hassle, no fuss and no worry. That's what I call service. Something to think about for the future..

Last edited:
Its Mercedes Insurance that is at Fault NOT Mercedes Benz.

I used to have Mercedes Insurance, but when they stopped their guarantee of a Mercedes replacement hire car I told them where to stick it.

At a bank holiday weekend you would be lucky to get any car. Enterprise Car Rental are normally very good, well certainly when I have used them. They supply the loan cars for the local Dealer, usually an A Class.

Under Mobilo you are usually given a C Class at least when you have to be recovered, this service is seperate to Insurance courtesy cars.

Last edited:
You will have to take it up the MB Insurance. As you point out they are contractually obligated to supply and that contract is two sided. Now my first move would be to spout the sale of goods and services act, what you must not do is back down. When it all cools down strike again with asking for your premium to be refunded in full as they did not keep their side of the contract and you want to move to an insurance company that will provide what you need and therefore pay for.

What is more, given my very petite wife's requirements for a like-for-like car, we paid an extra premium to secure another A-Class while our car might be off the road in circumstances such as those that we now find ourselves in.

!

That seems to be a very stupid requirement for any insurance company to accept without applying strict terms and conditions. How could they guarantee an A class would be available wherever she happened to be when needing one? The words "if available" spring to mind here.

If there are no get out clauses hidden in the small print, I think the most you could claim for is the extra premium paid for the A class replacement. You could not claim your whole insurance premium back as they were covering you for any claim. Make a fuss and they might add a bit more to any entitled rebate as a goodwill gesture, but insurance companies are not renown their generosity.

The only other alternative would be for you to find another A class you could hire and send them the bill.

Best of luck Spinaltap

Mercedes Insurance is almost certainly just a branded front end of one of the mainstream insurance companies. I would expect no better or no worse to be honest.

If it is not your wife's fault an Accident Management Company are likely to be beneficial I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom