Level Calibration Not Successful

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Uav Pilot

Car
CL 500
I have recently fitted new upper arms and two new struts one front left and one rear right, the rear one was built by myself out of two bad struts to make one good strut.. Now the problem I am having is the car is sitting about 10mm or so lower on the left hand side which isnt uncommon apparently even with perfect cars?? anyhow I have tried to rectify this by performing a level calibration using STAR DAS I adjust the levels so that the car is sitting at 70cm from floor to arch all the way around and the voltages are as follows FL2.08 FR2.29 RL2.18 RR2.08 So as far as I am aware within acceptable range? ( 2v-3v) Now I dont have a Romess inclination tool but enter the inclinations as 2.6 for the fronts and -3.1 for the rears which is also within range but I get the error "Level calibration not successful level sensors not within range" So it wouldn`t bother me too much as the car doesn`t sit too bad and yes I probably could level it with adjustable links but now I have a constant ABC warning on the dash and the fault code is the level calibration not successful so until I can calibrate with success I will have the error on the dash!
Any help will be appreciated

Ahh I probably should have stated that I have a CL500 W215 so thanks Borys but the angles you supplied are for the E class? so they wont be accepted anyway.. But the issue is with it not accepting the levels rather than the angles? "levels are not within range"

Do the auto adjustment.

Hey Olly, as you may have gathered I decided to work through the list of faults you found on my car :) Where is the auto adjustment? there is an option of move towards calibrated level but I dont remember any auto calibration?? I have the C3 das with the 2014 or 15 software

Ok I spent another whole day trying to get it working and still no luck.. I would take it to a main dealer but I expect they probably know less about it than I do??

Uav Pilot said:
Ahh I probably should have stated that I have a CL500 W215 so thanks Borys but the angles you supplied are for the E class? so they wont be accepted anyway.. But the issue is with it not accepting the levels rather than the angles? "levels are not within range"

Used those for lowering my cls
Couldn't get new values accepted to even they were within the range

Really.. you would not expect them to work? I assume that the inclination angles affect the appropriate response from the suspension to a given error working on something like PID i.e some values have less response than others so it will ultimately affect how responsive the suspension is and could oscillate if too much response is dialled in? so its fairly good to get them right

Car works perfect
No issues
Maybe as cls is based on e class chassis values would be the same?

Is the ABC warning on the dash White or Red? and what fault codes are you getting listed to the ABC system - I'm assuming you have a Star Diagnostic system? For your level calibration enter 2.4 and -3.1 for Romess angles.
If you do have Star, try the Automatic Calibration then go back to manual calibration and see if it works (sometimes Star and the ECU's do not communicate well but this is very rare).
On the good side (rear) check the level sensor arm position in comparison to the level sensor arm on the the other side - making sure that they are pointing in the same direction in relation to the tyre (hope you understand what I mean).
If you are still having issues, feel free to get in touch AND if you have solved the problem, please let us all know the solution applied.

The warning light is White and all ABC functions.. The fault code is "Level calibration not carried out successfully" I am not sure what Automatic calibration is?? I have under Actuations the option of "Move towards calibrated level" but this is not a control unit adaptation and does`t seem to do anything apart from move the suspension and then it returns when I exit the option. I have had it on the level ramp again today using my Star and trying various combos of inclination angles but always states the level sensors are out of range afterwards.. The car functions as normal but I have a constant ABC warning light on that I doubt will go until I successfully calibrate?? Another thing worth mentioning is the pressure on the ABC pump is roughly 190 - 196 bar the pump is new from Mercedes and about a year old although when performing a rodeo on tickover the pressure can drop to 130 from memory my guess is perhaps the pressure accumulator attached to the valve block?? although I know Mercedes also changed 1 or more of the accumulators when they fitted the new pump..

You need to do it through the initial start up menu.
A point to note the the only way to get the correct inclination angles is with a tool... As you correctly note
Once adjusting the values through this menu, and having correct voltage signals ( the ranges are displayed and any deviation won't be accepted), you can enter the inclination angles and the Ecu will perform level calibration successfully.
I am not aware of any other way to do it.
If any of the voltage signals drops out of range ( you will see this straight away), then the Ecu will not perform calibration.

So now I have probably told you everything you already know......

There will be an issue with the level on one particular corner of the vehicle. Try and determine what is bent/ or not correctly aligned and if you cannot visually see it,fit adjustable links to take out the distance discrepancy.

The car sits level and voltages are around 2.15 and 2.50v front and rear matching their respective sides. I have replaced an upper arm but also have adjustable links so I can take out any deviation. The thing that bugs me is everything appears to be in acceptable range both voltages and inclinations, I guess every degree of inclination relates directly to a specific voltage and anything slightly different will not work? if so a simple chart would work and there would be no need for a Romess inclination gauge.. I guess its knowing what voltages tie up with which angles? I have been trying through the initial startup menu... I can use the ramp again tomorrow at my local garage. So hopefully can figure a solution?

The inclination must be in the accepted value range.
And the voltages in the accepted voltage range.
The Ecu is not smart enough to correspond both down to specific values. Are you sure the voltages aren't going out of range ? Are you having to adjust them after trying to perform the calibration or not?
Have you fitted an aftermarket upper arm?
And if so was the problem there before the arm was fitted?

I have recently fitted new upper arms and two new struts one front left and one rear right, the rear one was built by myself out of two bad struts to make one good strut.. Now the problem I am having is the car is sitting about 10mm or so lower on the left hand side which isnt uncommon apparently even with perfect cars?? anyhow I have tried to rectify this by performing a level calibration using STAR DAS I adjust the levels so that the car is sitting at 70cm from floor to arch all the way around and the voltages are as follows FL2.08 FR2.29 RL2.18 RR2.08 So as far as I am aware within acceptable range? ( 2v-3v) Now I dont have a Romess inclination tool but enter the inclinations as 2.6 for the fronts and -3.1 for the rears which is also within range but I get the error "Level calibration not successful level sensors not within range" So it wouldn`t bother me too much as the car doesn`t sit too bad and yes I probably could level it with adjustable links but now I have a constant ABC warning on the dash and the fault code is the level calibration not successful so until I can calibrate with success I will have the error on the dash!
Any help will be appreciated

Am I wrong in assuming this happened after fitting the arms?

The inclination angles I have been trying have varied to try make it work but as an example front axle 2.8 and rear-3.1 the voltages are 2.20v on front and 2.50 on rear axle as I believe voltage acceptable range is 2v to 3v and inclination angles I can't remember off the top of my head but they are displayed before the screen where they are input on star

Sorry I forgot to answer that question I installed a new rear strut and then a plunger travel sensor along with new front strut and upper arm. There were no issues until I tried the level calibration after fitting the new parts

The inclination angles I have been trying have varied to try make it work but as an example front axle 2.8 and rear-3.1 the voltages are 2.20v on front and 2.50 on rear axle as I believe voltage acceptable range is 2v to 3v and inclination angles I can't remember off the top of my head but they are displayed before the screen where they are input on star

The inclination angles are negative for one axle and positive for the other.
As long as the voltages are in spec and the angles are within tolerance it will calibrate.

Sorry I forgot to answer that question I installed a new rear strut and then a plunger travel sensor along with new front strut and upper arm. There were no issues until I tried the level calibration after fitting the new parts

Ok

So the issue lies here somewhere.
Where did the arm come from?

The ramp you have access to.. Is it a x2 post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom