Lexus Hybrid in Japan's only 24 hour race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BonzoDog

Car
280 cdi Break S211 Avantgarde, B200 CDI, W245, Autotronic
In the midst of the usual drudge of reading this morning up cropped a report on Toyota entering a Lexus GS450H hybrid in a 24 hour race.
I can understand Audi entering a diesel in such a race but why a hybrid? Would the electric bit ever be used? Is it not just wasted technology in these terms or do they switch the petrol bit off and use the electric bit for 10 minutes every hour.
Perhaps I misunderstand this technology.
Anyway for those with a knowledge of Japanese here's a chatty little link that possibly tells you nothing more.
http://www.office-northstar.jp/s-tai/ent/index.html
The race takes place July 15 -17 at Tokachi for those interested in the trivia of the motor racing world.

I'm probably wrong but I thought the idea behind this model was that it offered very good performance by using both the engine and the electric motor (simultaneously) when required for full power.

So in answer to your question, I'd think that both power sources would be used :)

Will

Will said:
So in answer to your question, I'd think that both power sources would be used :)
Unless they intend to replace the power cells rather than allow the petrol engine to recharge them it seems a bit inefficient.

Shude said:
Unless they intend to replace the power cells rather than allow the petrol engine to recharge them it seems a bit inefficient.
Not when the power cells are recharged by braking!

It's quite simple really :)

Will

Will said:
Not when the power cells are recharged by braking!

It's quite simple really :)
Regenerative braking adds about 10% to the total available mileage! Where does the rest come from? :)

It all counts - better utilising the potential in this kind of setup rather than wasting it by way of heat/friction with conventional braking ;)

It's not some magic formula - just common sense and the question answered being that both power sources are used :)

Will

Will said:
It all counts - better utilising the potential in this kind of setup rather than wasting it by way of heat/friction with conventional braking ;)

It's not some magic formula - just common sense and the question answered being that both power sources are used :)
petrol should provide more power for it's weight than most ways of storing electricity, they'd be better off replacing the heavy electric motors, gearboxes, cells, wiring and control equipment/computers with fuel tanks ;)

But that wasn't the question :rolleyes: :p ;)

I've never said I favour the technology - just explaining it's function to Bonzodog :)

Will

Will said:
I've never said I favour the technology - just explaining it's function to Bonzodog :)
IMHO they'd be better off concentrating on lighter, more energy-dense cells and then dump all the inefficient internal combustion related parts! No more fuel tank, exhaust system, radiator/coolant system etc :)

I wander if mercedes made a similar car, would you be so negative about it??

:rolleyes:

DuFFmAn said:
I wander if mercedes made a similar car, would you be so negative about it?
Who me? I don't understand why people are concentrating on hybrids when they appear to use no less fuel than a regular car and they have a lot more complexity. If they run on petrol they are still ultimately doomed.

I'm more interested in 100% electric or possibly fuel-cell technology, why waste resources on having two engines and two types of fuel in one car when one has been good enough for over 100 years.

When I had the hyrbid, i was averaging around 28mpg in and around town... Thats pretty good for a car that can get to 60 in under 6 seconds...

I think this car is Lexus's reply to the diesels other manufacters are offering...

I'm more interested in 100% electric or possibly fuel-cell technology, why waste resources on having two engines and two types of fuel in one car when one has been good enough for over 100 years.

Even the petrol engines took a while for them to work.. The first batch only did 3mph :crazy: .... Give the electricians time to work.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom