Lexus LC 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Any one seen or driven one?

I love the design, the squatness and the width. The rear is a bit too bulky, but I suspect it may look different in the metal.

Sounds absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHw-uuKzdBs

I know someone who has/is just getting theirs.

Totally stunning car. Looks stunning, sounds stunning!

I like to think I have it's little (very little) brother ;)

Totally stunning car. Looks stunning, sounds stunning!

I like to think I have it's little (very little) brother ;)

you need a V8, as do I :)

I was behind one of these in white just yesterday on the A1M near Welwyn. Sounded nice but i wasn't taken with the design from the back.

white does not suit the LC 500

It's fresh, and it has its own distinct and memorable look .. rare in this era of identikit cars.

The front number plate will ruin the look of that grill :eek:

I had a look at these at Goodwood and in the flesh the proportions are odd.

The doors are also incredibly long, more so than the SL so parking would be difficult. Well, getting out once parked would be more difficult.

The interior design was interesting. I just couldn't get over the proportions of the car. Plus being a Lexus the depreciation will probably be horrendous.

a very heavy car too at 1935kg .. compared to a V8 SL500 at 1795kg (with its turbos and folding metal roof)!

I have seen, driven and ordered one!!

You need to see them in the flesh, they are a stunning looking car.

Jules335 said:
I have seen, driven and ordered one!! You need to see them in the flesh, they are a stunning looking car.

Nice one, I liked it a lot at goodwood this year, thought it looked very nice and felt nice to sit in. What engine did you go for?

Nice one, I liked it a lot at goodwood this year, thought it looked very nice and felt nice to sit in. What engine did you go for?

I have gone for the hybrid. I test drove both and yes the V8 does sound better but in normal driving the hybrid feels a lot quicker as you get the instant torque from the electric motors. The V8 needs really high revs before it does much as it is normally aspirated. The hybrid is also far more economical.

I think it looks really good in white, which is what I have gone for with the red and black interior and 21" wheels.

It is a very comfortable and quick car. Its not designed for track days as it is more of a GT, a bit like an SL really.

Attachments

• lc500h white 5.jpg
    lc500h white 5.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 30
500h and 500 exact same price ..

interesting about 500h feeling a lot quicker ..

It may also be of interest that Toyota refer to the V6 petrol engine in the 500h as an ATKINSON cycle engine, similar to that found in the Toyota Prius.
Mechanically this originally involved an engine that had a shorter compression stroke and a longer expansion stroke to yield greater thermal efficiency at the expense of power density. In practice today the following applies:-
Recently, the term "Atkinson cycle" has been used to describe a modified Otto-cycle engine in which the intake valve is held open longer than normal to allow a reverse flow of intake air into the intake manifold, this simulated Atkinson cycle is most notably used in the widespread Toyota 1NZ-FXE engine. The effective compression ratio is reduced (for the time the air is escaping the cylinder freely rather than being compressed), but the expansion ratio is unchanged. This means the compression ratio is smaller than the expansion ratio. Heat gained from burning fuel increases the pressure, thereby forcing the piston to move, expanding the air volume beyond the volume when compression began. The goal of the modern Atkinson cycle is to make the pressure in the combustion chamber at the end of the power stroke equal to atmospheric pressure. When this occurs, all available energy has been obtained from the combustion process. For any given portion of air, the greater expansion ratio converts more energy from heat to useful mechanical energy—meaning the engine is more efficient.

The disadvantage of the four-stroke Atkinson-cycle engine versus the more common Otto-cycle engine is reduced power density. Due to a smaller portion of the compression stroke being devoted to compressing the intake air, an Atkinson-cycle engine does not take in as much air as would a similarly designed and sized Otto-cycle engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle

worth reading a bit about since its likely more petrol engines like this may appear as part of hybrid technology.

Lexus-LC-mutistage-hybrid-key-key-features-1204x677-LEX-LC5-MY18-0248.jpg

The neat trick these Lexus hybrid ICe do is to switch between Atkinson and Otto cycles mode depending on requirements. Need more power for rapid acceleration, Otto cycle. Cruising and for economy, Atkinson cycle..

For anyone who is interested here are some photos of the cars that I test drove.

The red one is a V8 and the yellow is a hybrid. They look identical apart from the badges.

Attachments

• lc500 red 2 edit.jpg
    lc500 red 2 edit.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 29
  • lc500 red 3 edit.jpg
    lc500 red 3 edit.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 22
  • lc500 yellow edit.jpg
    lc500 yellow edit.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 27
:wallbash: unfortunately, you have to have privacy glass

Users who are viewing this thread